You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

I had a few records I was considering here, but decided to change it up a bit from the old bluesmen and go with something a bit more modern.

Mind you, this album came out last year, so you might already be all over it.

It’s 5 by mystery London soul beat combo Sault.  They released another record last year too called 7, which also has some good shit on it, but I went with 5 as it’s a little more consistent I reckon.

Link is here, friends:

https://open.spotify.com/album/57EkTny9UjqpLhFzMO4Hdb?si=gJdgU3t1RbGbbZmj-Tc_fA

• Upvote 3

Review: Sault - 5

Never heard of them. Let's go.

Track 1, Up All Night wastes no time. A percussive beat, a Beck vibe. Not my thing at all but I enjoyed that, built nicely, intriguing.

Good start.

Don't Waste My Time - a nice bass line, the album sounds lovely. Catchy little song.

Again, Beck and maybe even Portishead are my only points of reference. 2/2

Foot On Necks (ouch). The distorted vocal is annoying. There's another hypnotic bass line. Tapping my foot, finding myself getting sucked in here.

Why Why Why Why Why is smooth and luxy. I really like this. Lovely voice, catchy vocal, loving the little flutey flourishes.

Adds to playlist, best song yet.

Pink Sounds is a musical palette cleanser, leading into Let Me Go, another strong bass and drum track with another strong vocal.

Bonus points for the flute.

I was really critical of the previous AOW's production but 5 sounds incredible by comparison. 20 years newer like.

Masterpiece has another hypnotic bass line and more smooth vocals. Reminds me a fair bit of Janelle Monae tbh.

Something In The Air has a staccato beat and a nice vocal but the track doesn't sit comfortably together for my tastes.

Think About It doesn't do it for me. Filler track

Wild Hundreds, another interlude. This album needs a pick me up.

We Are The Sun - great bass line, the vocal is very pronounced. The song passes me by though.

Wild Hundreds pt 55 - the album is now crying out for a kick ass tube, not another chilled interlude.

B.A.B.E. - More like it. Thundercat vibes, a chilled and relaxing 3:44 but then falls off into nothing much.

What a strange record. Not my usual cup of tea at all but I found myself really enjoying this album, right up until the halfway stage. However, the last 6 or 7 songs were just non-existant. Shame.

I would definitely listen to Sault again though. Intriguing.

6/10

• Upvote 2

Sault - 5

Bit of a gem this one that gets better with each listen. Such a diverse sounding album that there's definitely something for everyone within. A real groovy, funky record with so many musical influences throughout the entire piece - Disco, Pop, Reggae, Soul, Motown, R&B and more.  African, Caribbean and Asian percussion rhythms and chants. Superb basslines and vocals throughout. 
Getting vibes of the sound of Gorillaz, Haelos and Rudimental from the production too, which is excellent. 
My only gripe is that a very busy and funky first half gives way to a more pedestrian second half though but that's a minor point. Nice change of mood from the last few albums and one that suits the good weather. 

Top Tracks:
Up All Night
Don't Waste  My Time
Why Why Why Why Why
Let Me Go
We Are The Sun

And how on point is the track "Foot on Necks" now... 

Easy 7.5/10. Would be more if it was shorter by about 4 filler tracks. 

I had a quick listen to their 7 album too and that's also very good. I'll have these albums on my" garden listening" playlists. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Is it me up next with the AOW?

Indeed it is, I'm listening to the last one today and will post on it later or tomorrow. Line it up, buttercup.

Sault - 5

Another nice surprise here. Had no idea what to expect when the play button was pressed and it sounds like a nice mix of 80s synth, modern beats and world music running through it.

Up All Night - First track took me to some early Moby productions which is definitely a good thing. Nice bass lines and synth tracking. Good vocals too. Very enjoyable opener.

Don't Waste My Time - Nice beats to the second track and the backing vocals make a big difference. It definitely sounds like a mix of live instruments and synth tracks. Definintely enjoying so far.

Foot On Necks - Well, this seems ironic. I wonder if this album was chosen specifically for this track? Not a criticism at all as it's a great choice but this seems a much more politically motivated track. On the right album, this would definitely be an eye-opening track but it feels a little bit out of place here. The message is definitely poignant though.

Why Why Why Why Why - Back on track with a blend of nice vocals, synths and live music. I really like this and the singer reminds me a lot of someone else. Perhaps as I listen it will come to me. I'm getting a little bit of a Jamiroquai vibe with this track. Good variety.

Pink Sands - Filler track I assume, almost like a skit. Weird because if this somehow referred back to Foot On Necks I think as a skit it would work really well. Almost like a 'Enjoy the music but remember why we are here...'

Let Me Go - Funky. As soon as I listened to the track I almost got the name of the vocalist I was thinking of. For the life of me I have forgotten her name but she sings on dance tracks like "Broken Record"...Quick google search...Katy B. Another good track.

Masterpiece - Hmm. Their slower tracks struggle a little bit. And at nearly six minutes long, this is far from what it's title suggests. Skip.

Add a little bit of Sault - Skit. See previous comment.

Something's In The Air - Again nice mix of live track and synths, I do like this outfit when they step things up. Slow down and it just doesn't fit for me. Mostly good stuff so far.

Think About It - Almost like a longer skit, nice mellow playing but again it just doesn't fit in.

Wil Hundreds, Pt 5 - Sounds like an intro to the next track? Skit...This is probably the nicest skit so far and leads quite nicely into...

We Are The Sun - Surprisingly this slower track works better than the previous ones. Sort of a Motown vibe to it. Like.

Wild Hundreds Pt 55 - Sounds like another skit...is it an intro to the last song?...

B.A.B.E - ...yes...It's a little bit of an anti-climax. It's pleasant enough. With what has come before it's not quite how I expected it to finish. The music is lovely, it's just not quite going anywhere.

All in all, pleased to have listened to an album that I would never have heard other than being selected here. And this is why I enjoy being part of this thread. Well played. A final rating of...

188-1880448_4-star-rating-png-transparen

Ok then, new AOW time and it's something which I consider to be a super chilled an easy listen from a band I loved.

Karate - Unsolved

Note: this album isn't available on Spotify but the full thing is on YouTube. I've also got the MP3 files kicking about somewhere.

• Upvote 2

On 03/06/2020 at 23:31, Jose Jones said:

I had a few records I was considering here, but decided to change it up a bit from the old bluesmen and go with something a bit more modern.

Mind you, this album came out last year, so you might already be all over it.

It’s 5 by mystery London soul beat combo Sault.  They released another record last year too called 7, which also has some good shit on it, but I went with 5 as it’s a little more consistent I reckon.

Link is here, friends:

https://open.spotify.com/album/57EkTny9UjqpLhFzMO4Hdb?si=gJdgU3t1RbGbbZmj-Tc_fA

Paul and I were discussing SAULT, briefly, on another thread. Did you here Gilles Peterson play their new LP in full on 6Music on Saturday? Incredible stuff, 35+ minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000k1lx

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

Paul and I were discussing SAULT, briefly, on another thread. Did you here Gilles Peterson play their new LP in full on 6Music on Saturday? Incredible stuff, 35+ minutes in:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000k1lx

Not seen that they had a new record out, nice one Karlos.  Certainly a prolific bunch of peeps.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Not seen that they had a new record out, nice one Karlos.  Certainly a prolific bunch of peeps.

I'd never heard of them until Saturday but was instantly hooked. I've listened to that hour of Gilles twice already and went back and listened to a few snippets of their previous stuff and pre-ordered '7' on vinyl ahead of its release this month.

5 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I'd never heard of them until Saturday but was instantly hooked. I've listened to that hour of Gilles twice already and went back and listened to a few snippets of their previous stuff and pre-ordered '7' on vinyl ahead of its release this month.

Should spend more time on the GF Music Review Thread, you'll be way ahead of Gilles Peterson.  Wouldn't 7 already be out on vinyl?  This new one is "untitled" isn't it?

21 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Should spend more time on the GF Music Review Thread, you'll be way ahead of Gilles Peterson.  Wouldn't 7 already be out on vinyl?  This new one is "untitled" isn't it?

Ha, TLW is where it's at!

I don't think it was released on vinyl, or it's a re-release through their Band Camp at least. I could only see '5' elsewhere, eg Rough Trade. I eagerly await some sort of pre-order for "Untitled" though.

4 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

Ha, TLW is where it's at!

I don't think it was released on vinyl, or it's a re-release through their Band Camp at least. I could only see '5' elsewhere, eg Rough Trade. I eagerly await some sort of pre-order for "Untitled" though.

Ah, got you.

On 17/06/2020 at 19:46, S.i.t.M aka The Boring One™ said:

I listened to the last selection last week and will listen again tomorrow before writing up.

Karate - Unsolved

Listened to the album through once last week and listening again this evening. It's definitely an evening album. 

The vocalist sounds very similar to the lead of Biffy Clyro at times - just at a much slower pace.

It's a pleasant album, well performed and a relaxing experience. I have to admit I prefer my rock albums to be a little more punchy. For that reason alone, I don't think I would listen again to this except perhaps to unwind but I would probably listen to a laid back electronic album first. 

398-3984464_film-star-rating-three-stars-transparent-background-5.png