You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

My youngest has just informed me that she is the one that does Criminal - which of course I didn't understand until she hummed the hook - "need to be redeemed, to the one I've sinned against". I knew of the backstory to the lyric but had no idea that was Fiona Apple - top tune.

Her music story is like her music, very up and down. She was married to a famous movie director, fall outs with record labels similar to Prince and disilluisionment with the record industry. She also had a breakdown on live on stage and couldn't continue at the time.

Taj Mahal

I made the mistake of doing my post on Workin Together by memory so I wanted to make sure to give this a listen a couple times just to bask in the glory again.

Quick preface - Taj Mahal was one of G Loves main influences and Keb Mo produced and co-wrote G Loves newest record at the same time he and Taj were producing Jontavious Willis (who is great and definitely worth a listen).

He has been the opening act a bunch on G Loves last few tours.

First - it is one of the great records ever, so 10/10 before we start.

For me it is a bookend to the second record The Natch'l Blues - which I think shows his rural/acoustic side more effectively and also has one of my favorite tunes ever - She Caught the Katy.

This record is about him as a vocalist and a harp player. 

Leavin' Trunk - the first sounds are his ripping tone. In a lineage from Little Walter to James Cotton then maybe Butterfield, this is heavy. No question he is playing through an amp. The beauty of this, and the whole record is it blues based but incorporates so much more. It's got a late 60's rock vibe and Ry Cooder on acoustic ffs.

"C'mon Davis, c'mon!"

Statesboro Blues - the first 5 seconds changed southern rock forever. If you ever wanted to teach a drummer a shuffle you should start here - Tulsa time. The vocal throughout is superb.

Checkin Up on My Baby - the guy who plays the guitar on the intro is also playing the piano on the intro - what??

Just a great rolling blues - a little Tore Down from Freddie King influence here. The harp is burning on this.

Everybody Got to Change Sometime - "Change my numbers, on my door - so my baby can't find out where I live no more" -- then there's the stuff in your right ear - have mercy Jesse Ed. So stinky that Taj breaks into his best Captain Beefheart "Smoke that guitar!"

Ez Rider - this is southern soul, the vocal stands up to anything around. The harp here is perfect - like a horn. Vocal outro, ridiculous.

Dust My Broom - old standard - kills it.

Diving Duck Blues - exquisite lead break here on guitar. Great riff based tune - just enough to not seem like a straight blues form. Now would be a good time to mention the bass tone throughout - tight and thumpy, picture that in your minds eye.

Celebrated Walkin Blues - the most traditional blues on the record, big difference in his harp tone. Ry Cooder on mandolin there.

• Upvote 1

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal

This is some pretty good blues shit.  I'm giving it 7 out of 10.

His voice is great, the guitar playing has a lovely sound, but the best thing about it is the harp playing, the tone is fantastic.

Here's my thing with the blues though - it's a great idea, 12 bar blues, some guitar solo, maybe some harmonica, sounds good. 

Is it a great enough idea that thousands of artists have to basically play the same song a billion times?

Statesboro Blues on this for example is just Sweet Home Chicago.  Maybe come up with a new idea once in a while, keep it interesting?

Tip of the cap to old Taj as he did branch out in his career and add in some African and Caribbean sounds and make something truly his own stuff.

Would have probably got a higher mark from me if I hadn't already heard a hundred million blues songs before.  I think I'm bored of the blues.

• Upvote 1

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal

Possibly my most favourite classical blues album and I had forgotten all about it! It was honestly about 15 years since I last listened to this when I got into a bit of a blues buzz. There's nothing about this album to dislike at all. The musicians are metronomic in their playing. The recording is excellent for its day. Each instrument is given its own space when needed and the vocals are top notch. I enjoyed this so much I took out the aul electric over the weekend and had a little play along to it. Easily a 9/10 for me. Great choice and glad to get back to it. "Smoke that Guitar boy, smoke that Guitar"

*I had a track by track review typed out but the laptop ran outta juice - grrr*

• Upvote 1

Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal

Never heard of these at all. So it's a nice surprise to fire it up not knowing what to expect. And it's from 1968, so a good time for music. Although it's an early album, I'm surprised to learn that the Blues have been around since at least the 1940s. Edit: originated in the Deep South in the 1870s! So this album is an old Blues album? And Taj Mahal is one man? Impressive.

It's a very good album. It might even be the best one I've listened to on this thread. Certainly I can't think of one that delivers on surprise elements, musicianship, talent, recording, fun and entertainment.

There's so much to like, it's quite varied for a blues album. The pacing is fast and slow, the playing of the various instruments is excellent and each instrument gets it's moment to shine.

A great choice and I have always enjoyed a good blues album. But it's hard to find ones that aren't the typical blues album that are recognised as the mainstream choice. One to add to the song lists I think. And for that reason, the there is no choice other than to give this...

stars.jpg

Review : Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea

Some old bluesy guy whom I'm honestly none too familiar with but I see this album is from 2001. Curious what to expect...

Done Got Old is all naked vocals and resonator guitar. Buddy is lamenting his ageing, the vocal is recorded brilliantly, immediate and breathy, wonderful tone.

Cracking opener.

Baby Please Don't Leave Me - I was not expecting those bass drum or bass guitar sounds at all. Guitar and vical sounding ace.

Sounds almost like Trent Reznor got his hands on this?

BPDLM rumbles along like a tank in the southern Vietnamese jungle but just like the Yanks in that conflict, it sticks around far too long.

Look What All You Got - the snare drum snaps. Buddy's got something on his shoulder, just waiting for you baby - I think that something must have been the killer guitar solo.

For a 2001 recording this track just is not mixed well imo. Not my favourite.

Stay All Night is a bit slower, gets into a groove and stays there. Unremarkable.

Tramp - I love that opening blues lick, but again that mix is a bit too mucky and murky.

She's Got The Devil In Her is another solid and dirty but unremarkable blues workout.

I Gotta Try You Girl prowls in, nice slow groove and more tasty soloing and bass.

I'm finding the slapback reverb on the guitar just way too harsh and it's now spoiling this album for me.

Pity because this is one of the best songs so far.

This whole thing is reminding me of the Pink Room sequence in Fire, Walk With Me. I love that film but not sure whether the juxtaposition of those Badalamentian tones jive with the style of song on this record.

Who's Been Foolin' You is more upbeat and up tempo. A throw away track, does nothing for me.

It's A Jungle Out There - last song, the rhythm guitar has a lovely chorus and jangle to it, love that piano underneath.

Are these drums samples? Triggers? Another uneasy soundscape.

More tasteful soloing which just doesn't sit comfortably in the mix for me.

What a strange record. Fairly lengthy at 54 minutes but it just flew by. Grammy award winner but large parts of this grated on me. Lived bits, hated others.

Ultimately the production killed this for me.

Favourite song was I Gotta Try You Girl but I feel that a remix and a more vintage soundstage would be more fitting and befitting of these compositions.

Sorry Howie! 5/10

• Upvote 1

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea

Never heard of this particular album by Buddy Guy, not that I can recall anyhow. IMO One of the best guitarists ever.
Is there any coincidence in this being released in 2001 when The Black Keys first started out? Their early sound is very similar to this.

Overall I had mixed feelings on this one, very good in parts but someone needed to be more in control and reign this in.
I'm struck by the immediacy of the recording which doesn't really work - too much reverb, too much space. Many of the tracks are outstaying their welcome big time. It sounds like one big Jam put to tape that would probably be great live. I do like some of the heavy blues going on here - excellent guitar work throughout.

Done Got Old - Classic sounding blues track. I really like this - I hear you, Buddy. I hear ya...
I thought it was setting the tone for the rest of the album - wrong..

Baby Please Don't Leave Me - Deep prodding fuzzy bass and percussion throughout this one with some kick ass riffs and solo's.
It's just too long though and the bass eventually gets overbearing. Maybe it's my headphones though.

Look What All You Got - Lyrics are too repetitive but I get a real buzz off that guitar.
I like the little turn around at the end adds a bit of interest.

Stay All Night - Could be listening to The Black Keys here so there must be a crossover there somewhere... I like this track.

Tramp - Great intro with a real dirty dark blues feel to the lyrics. Bit of a hypnotic looping effect listening to this. He really makes the guitar cry over that 8/8. Too long though. The bass again is saturating my headphones. I'll have to look into whether it's me or the record..

She's Got The Devil In her - Great vocal on this one. That "thinny" sound that sometimes pops up on some of guitar solo's is a bit annoying.

I Gotta Try You Girl - A guitar workout really. Nothing interesting happening from the rhythm section. Far too long and a bit boring to be honest. Does it end?

Who's Been Foolin' You - Totally unlike the rest of the album and a nice little breather. Vocals are good and the rhythm section finally gets a chance. But that effect on the guitar is crap - it doesn't work here IMO. Sounds bolted on rather than part of the track. I do like this track though.

It's a Jungle Out There - sounds like some of the other Buddy Guy tracks I've heard over the years. One of the better songs in terms of lyrics. It is indeed a Jungle out there.

This record just sounds like a lot of jams put to tape. Lyrics are sparse and never stray from the standard Blues formula when they do pop up.Guitar is the star of the show as expected but that's not enough for me to make me want to listen over again.

I'll give it a 6.5/10

• Upvote 2

I'm probably going to drop out a while. 

I'm not getting anything listening to music at the moment. Got alot going on personally and can't get the right mindframe going for this. 

I might drop in at some point and review as and when 

• Upvote 1

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea

Going from the dusty old man lament of Done Got Old to the fuzzy fat bass and production of Baby Please Don't Leave Me is a great trick.  I may be an old fucker who can't walk, talk and love like a used to, but I can still kick out this blues shit. And I do like the sound and production on this record.  Where it falls down for me is the songs.

I agree with what CD might have said in that most of it sounds like a jam session, the rhythm section sets up a nice groove and then Buddy adds on his guitar and whatever minimal song structure over the top. 

If you were sitting in the corner of the bar knocking the top off a few cold ones while these guys were doing their thing you'd have a real good time.  As a record it doesn't really do it for me.

Favourite tracks are probably Look What All You Got and Tramp, pretty good groove going on those.  I'm giving it 6/10.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Have we will reviewed it yet? Who's up next?

Just listening to it this evening with a bit of sunshine. Will have some words and pictures up tomorrow.

@Jose Jones is at the wheel...

Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea

Another Blues album here although it seems to occasionally swing across a number of Blues + Genre. The opener - Done Got Old - sounded like Blues + Country, if I didn't know better I would think it was a duet with Johnny Cash. Nice cut back sound.

Next track - Baby Please Don't Leave Me - seems to have invited a combination of U2 and Stone Roses. It's decent but perhaps just a bit too long.

Look What All You Got - Rockabillie Blues here with an enjoyable romp and stomp.

Stay All Night - the middle track of the album. Both in position and style.

Tramp - nice slow Blues tempo and as a longer track it deserves to stay it's welcome. This and the opener stand out.

She's Got The Devil In Her - good musicians at work here but the song doesn't quite deliver like some of the others.

I Gotta Try You Girl - just over 12 minutes long. Quite ironic that I feel as though Buddy Guy invited Pink Floyd along for the ride here. I listened to the track through first time and liked it. For writing I jumped through and still enjoyed the bits I heard.

Who's Been Foolin' You - I feel like the album is winding down now. More Hillbillies Blues here that's pleasant enough.

It's A Jungle Out There - decent parting track, nice brooding Blues track with lots of piano. Glass of Whisky in the sunshine. Yee-Haw.

Overall on first and second listen I think it could get better like a vintage wine. I feel as though some of the criticisms are a little harsh with the jamming as the same could easily be levelled at Pink Floyd. But this isn't as polished as Pink Floyd and the previous Blues track was superior. A good album overall with a couple of drops gives it...

Three-half-stars.png

Just as a side note, both blues artists will be on my explore list. My Spotify went on to 'A Man And The Blues' by Buddy Guy. Wow, what an opening track.