You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Review: Hamilton Leithauser - I Had A Dream You Were Mine

Never even heard of this dude before.

A 1000 Times - introspective start and then the drums hit, sounds nice. Really nice. Good production. Nice voice. Pleasant start.

Sick As A Dog - the opening bass riff reminds me of that Crazy song. Again, sounds nice but doesn't excite.

Rough Going - Doo wop vibes, this record really does sound great but the song doesn't do it for me.

The drum sound, especially that snare, is huge.

In A Black Out - the opening riff reminds me of Rawhide! Mournful and introspective, my favourite song yet. Still undecided on those vocals though.

Peaceful Morning - quacky banjo a more big drums, a stronger vocal melody. This song gives off an Adore era Smashing Pumpkins / Bad Seeds vibe. No bad thing.

A really odd time change about 2/3 of the way in is interesting.

Odd song this one.

When The Truth Is - again, loads of space in this recording,bthe excellent production job is (sadly) the star so far.

His vocal is starting to grate. Not digging this.

You Ain't That Young Kid - where's this dude from? Definitely an Irish flavour to several of these tunes. This bounces along but again feels a bit flat. I'm still waiting for that big hook or killer melody. Frustratingly out of reach.

The Bride's Dad comes and goes.

The Morning Stars - more nice bass and drums but this is boring me now. Sorry.

1959 closes the album and it's another tune which sounds lovely but where exactly is the song in this? I like her voice, perhaps she should have been used more?

To conclude I found this a frustrating album to listen to, the elements are there but the big memorable hooks are not.

A great workout for my new DAC though.

3/10

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Review: Hamilton Leithauser - I Had A Dream You Were Mine

Never even heard of this dude before.

A 1000 Times - introspective start and then the drums hit, sounds nice. Really nice. Good production. Nice voice. Pleasant start.

Sick As A Dog - the opening bass riff reminds me of that Crazy song. Again, sounds nice but doesn't excite.

Rough Going - Doo wop vibes, this record really does sound great but the song doesn't do it for me.

The drum sound, especially that snare, is huge.

In A Black Out - the opening riff reminds me of Rawhide! Mournful and introspective, my favourite song yet. Still undecided on those vocals though.

Peaceful Morning - quacky banjo a more big drums, a stronger vocal melody. This song gives off an Adore era Smashing Pumpkins / Bad Seeds vibe. No bad thing.

A really odd time change about 2/3 of the way in is interesting.

Odd song this one.

When The Truth Is - again, loads of space in this recording,bthe excellent production job is (sadly) the star so far.

His vocal is starting to grate. Not digging this.

You Ain't That Young Kid - where's this dude from? Definitely an Irish flavour to several of these tunes. This bounces along but again feels a bit flat. I'm still waiting for that big hook or killer melody. Frustratingly out of reach.

The Bride's Dad comes and goes.

The Morning Stars - more nice bass and drums but this is boring me now. Sorry.

1959 closes the album and it's another tune which sounds lovely but where exactly is the song in this? I like her voice, perhaps she should have been used more?

To conclude I found this a frustrating album to listen to, the elements are there but the big memorable hooks are not.

A great workout for my new DAC though.

3/10

Would it be an idea if he put up his second choice?

That's the beauty of music. Everyone's tastes are different and that's what makes it exciting. His voice is in the marmite category for sure. When I first heard him sing on this I didn't like it either but then it grew on me. I saw him live and he was great but I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

That's the beauty of music. Everyone's tastes are different and that's what makes it exciting. His voice is in the marmite category for sure. When I first heard him sing on this I didn't like it either but then it grew on me. I saw him live and he was great but I wouldn't expect everyone to like it. 

It surprised me tbh, I think both of our musical tastes have been pretty closlt aligned until this point. As you say mate, vive e difference.

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I had a dream you were mine

First of all it annoys me that Rostam has forsaken his surname, which is one of the best in the world of pop.

Plus it would have made him seem like a real contributor instead of a tag on bit part.

Anyway I wanted to really like this album because Zonko is my new best music buddy.  It starts off pretty well, I like 1000 Times and Rough Going but as the record goes on the songs start to peter out a bit.

I thought it might be a grower but even third time through none of it is really grabbing me, and by this time Hamilton’s voice is starting to grate a bit.

I always had a bit of an impression that Rostam was the power behind the throne in Vampire Weekend, but listening to this maybe Ezra Koenig was responsible for the catchy tunes all along.

Either that or Rostam needs to embrace his Batmanglij to get his full powers back.

I’m giving this 5.5/10

• Upvote 2

I'll probably do a longer review in next week or so after another listen. Loads of shit going on Inc finding out the useless fucks at EDF never set my DD up properly so I've not paid any fuel bill for 15 months and they still think the prepayment meters that were in the house when I moved in are working. Even though A they changed them and B they took meter readings and knew it was time that my tarriff needed changed. Never check the statements from the account as it was set up to just pay and forget it. 

Anyway a few bits from first play

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I had a dream you were mine

Not sure if I like this or not. Not overly keen on the vocals, and found the first three songs to be OK, inoffensive but nothing to grab my attention. All sounded very very similar. 

Song 3 'In a black out' sounded straight out the set of a western, could easily and would have liked to hear that covered by Johnny Cash during his American Recording sessions with Rick Rubin. 

Heard influences of The Beatles, Dylan and some Stax stuff. Bits of Bono/Dylan in the vocals(mind you Bob can't sing either). 

Really not sure one way or the other. 

I'll try and get the Tina/Ike one done soon to catch up

9 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam - I had a dream you were mine

First of all it annoys me that Rostam has forsaken his surname, which is one of the best in the world of pop.

Plus it would have made him seem like a real contributor instead of a tag on bit part.

Anyway I wanted to really like this album because Zonko is my new best music buddy.  It starts off pretty well, I like 1000 Times and Rough Going but as the record goes on the songs start to peter out a bit.

I thought it might be a grower but even third time through none of it is really grabbing me, and by this time Hamilton’s voice is starting to grate a bit.

I always had a bit of an impression that Rostam was the power behind the throne in Vampire Weekend, but listening to this maybe Ezra Koenig was responsible for the catchy tunes all along.

Either that or Rostam needs to embrace his Batmanglij to get his full powers back.

I’m giving this 5.5/10

It's via Vampire Weekend that I came to this album actually. I still think Rostam is the power behind them but on this one decided to expand any idea that popped into his head. Maybe he pushed too far on this. I still like it though and it generally gets favourable reviews. That said, I 100% understand people not liking Hamilton's voice. I can't stand Rod Stewart for the same reason! 

Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam

Batmanglij? Is that really Rostam's surname?

Definitely an arthouse album, this. I didn't realise there was an association with Vampire Weekend. I assumed listening to it that there might have been a connection to the artist that recorded "Now you're just someone that I used to know". I think they were called Gotye. Really catchy record.

I've never listened to any of the albums by any of these artists mentioned, I've only heard a few records on the radio. To be honest, they have never really grabbed me like some other 'arthouse' artists have - I look forward to hearing records by Christine and the Queens because there's something catchy about her records but there wasn't really anything catchy here. The problem is that sometimes it takes a while for records like these to actually take hold.

It is likely to be a grower. First listen the album seems to be a little formless, more like a musical stage show than an album recorded in a structural sequence. Production is strong, but as has been mentioned the vocals do seem a little strained.

I found it hard to get into Christine and the Queens, now I enjoy their records. When Gotye used to play on the radio, I used to turn it off but I quite like hearing it now. So it's quite possible that if some of the records on this album appear on my playlist randomly, I might hear one and it grows.

So far as a rating goes, it's difficult as I have to rate it as I find it now and give it room to expandable. It definitely won't go down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSb_qzESIwwXsbJ9dDm7K2

I'll catch up then during the week. 

Wasn't sure where to go with this as a few of my options are just to long as live recordings. So I'll go with the man and album that inspired my favourite guitarist to delve fully into slide, with the help of a corcidin pill bottle

Taj Mahal debut album - Taj Mahal

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Wasn't sure where to go with this as a few of my options are just to long as live recordings. So I'll go with the man and album that inspired my favourite guitarist to delve fully into slide, with the help of a corcidin pill bottle

Looking forward to this, you sexy bastard. 

43 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Been a while since I've heard this. Nice one. 

Another great southern regional "sound" of that time, alot in common with Muscle Shoals.

Two white Okies from Tulsa, a hippie from California, an American Indian and Taj.

Imagine being in a band that included Taj AND Ry Cooder and you take the slide and lead guitar parts - that's the great Jesse Ed Davis. In this one band you had the guy who Duane Allman based his style around and you also had the other fella who played the slide on the original recording of Little Feat's "Willin'" and was Lowell George's hero.

Crazy.

Will come back with track by track - want to listen a few times again, been awhile.

Good pick.

• Upvote 1

Allright  - let's go Leithauser

I listened to the studio recording first and then looked around a bit. Found this which has no Rostam, apparently he has blown that up:

Being honest, I too had never heard of this dude - much less the other Batmansvengali - so wanted to see him live.

He has a great voice but live he is right on the edge, sometimes for the worst here. That said it has made me re listen to Sick as a Dog as I like the live take on that. The "same voice" that was cracking is strong there.

The studio take of this has that great Rickenbacker pick sub octave bass that opens up the space so much. And I like the triplet outro.

I can't listen to 1000 Times without hearing Joan Baez signing, 100 Miles, 100 Miles...

Not really sure why.

Overall would agree when he is at his best vocally with the comparisons to Bono - cadence and tonewise. Certainly there is a hint of "Trad Anglo" folk to his delivery as well

A couple of times he does a Dylany thing but when he talks through the lyric he sounds to me like a melodic Lou Reed. 

Pretty good methinks. Plus in the 20 minutes it has taken me to henpeck out this post I got to listen to Taj Mahal.

So - winner.

• Upvote 2

As @Carvalho Diablo has cued me on to how to work Spotify this has gotten easier.

Fiona Apple - Fetch the BoltCutters

Put it on and sounded like a Casio drum machine with a cog missing - then piano carries I Want you to Want to Love Me. The long sustained vocal as a pedal through some pretty dissonant changes makes her sound a little out of tune at times but that is the rub - no pun intended. And she does a number of times throughout the record - like she does the Yoko ending a couple of times.

Shameiaka - I like this - the circular riff and the lyric - it has potential.

The dogs barking are boss.

Some of this kind of lumps together - the lack of consistent melodies for me - I would have to really get into the lyrics and the delivery makes that difficult for me.

Rack of His - is really quite songy comparatively, great hook -- plus I like coochie coo coup. A song about the guitar player, heh. 

I hear a lot of Tom Waits in this - the found percussion, the "circus/carnival" backgrounds, even the delivery vocally.

Will admit that I prefer the tunes that have a definable structure - Cosmonauts is a great tune.

Certainly I will use the "Ladies, ladies, ladies, ladies" refrain in conversation. 

• Upvote 1

My youngest has just informed me that she is the one that does Criminal - which of course I didn't understand until she hummed the hook - "need to be redeemed, to the one I've sinned against". I knew of the backstory to the lyric but had no idea that was Fiona Apple - top tune.

Review : Taj Mahal - Taj Mahal

No preconceptions whatsoever, save maybe a sitar or two? We'll see. Let's go...

Leaving Trunk kicks the album off with a harmonica lead funky groove. Nice vocals and great guitar. The singer has nice tone and a great rasp to his voice.

Loving the mix, the guitars sound great

Excellent start, digging this.

Statesboro Blues - the 60s production job sounds great and very involving. The drums panned hard left, probably bounced down from an 8 track desk.

This all feels very familiar, like I've heard this a 1000 times before. Hard not to like anything as rootsy as this.

Checkin' Up On My Baby - another 12 bar shuffle and harmonica lead, really like this singer, reminds me of George Thorogood.

Love the guitar solo. 3/3 so far.

Everybody's Got To Change Sometime reminds of James Brown.

E Z Rider just reeks of the 60s, another great vocal lead track. The playing is very live, sounds great. The singer reminds me of Hendrix at times.

Dust My Broom is another track that's unashamedly boogy woogy, quality blues, shuffle and rawk.

Digging that slide and keys.

Diving Duck Blues - great title. The guitar mimics and follows that walking prowling bass line for a super groovy feel .

Again, this just reeks of the 60s. Loving this.

Celebrated Walkin' Blues is pedestrian by comparison. Guitar sounds mint, harmonica wahs and wails. Transported to the bayou, eating jumbalaya and crawfish, how come I've never heard of these cats before?!

Dug this album from start to finish, a very enjoyable and easy listen. No one song jumped out, just a collection of joyous compositions, each being completely comfortable in it's own skin.

The playing is banging throughout and the production is amazing for the time.

I'll award Taj Mahal (a conservative) 8.5/10. Great pick.