You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Ike and Tina Turner is the primary pick. If it's been heard before and you want something new, Fiona Apple is secondary.

Always good to have a couple of things to listen to. I’ve also started on Shortly After Takeoff by BC Camplight this week.

Rather amusing lyrics. “Last night I saw a ghost, it looked like Pavarotti, moved like a caterpillar and smiled like Rachel Riley. I told my mum, she said it was probably just the cat.”

Ike and Tina Turner - Workin' Together

I have never listened Ike and Tina before and I confess to having a strong dislike of listening to Tina Turner. But that's the 80's stuff onwards so I'll put that aside for now...

A decent album this one. When it hits, it is brilliant. Some really good musicians on show here and I'm pleasantly surprised with how good Tina's voice is on some of these tracks (I guess that's why she is so successful, Zonko you muppet). She can really belt it out but can do the subtle stuff superbly. Great backing vocalists too. The arrangements and production are spot on here.

Workin' Together - Great vocal but a slow burner that doesn't really go anywhere and actually burns out.

As Long As I Can Get You When I Want You - Funky and upbeat. Great horn section.

Get Back - banging vocal on this. Brings a real gritty rock feel to an already rockin' tune. I especially like the guitar work which is better than the Beatles version IMO.

The Way You Love Me - Second original song here. Ike could actually write good music. Pity he was such a cunt. This is standard rock/blues with a very good arrangement. A very good song.

You Can Have It - Third original song. Really getting a sense for Ike's writing style and again the same applies - he could write a tune. The lyrics would mean a hell of a lot more if she wrote them. Very good vocal once again from TT.

Game of Love - One of the best songs on the album and another written by Ike. The arrangement is brilliant and the lyrics too. Almost reminds me of Use Me by Bill Withers for some reason, in terms of it's progression and story telling delivery.

Funkier Than a Mosquita's Tweeter - What a name for a song. Class. Hearing all sorts of artists here. Getting my SHAFT kicks too from the intro. Definitely a funky tune so we were warned by the song title.

Ooh Poo Pah Doo - Boring this one. Very repetitive and goes nowhere.

Proud Mary - More people know this version than the Creedence version. I used to like this song until it was ruined by every prick singing it at karaoke's all across the land, or X Factor - and butchering it. I prefer the original and always will but she really gets her teeth into this one and I can't find fault with the playing.

Goodbye, So Long - Good up beat tune but not much elevates it beyond the vocal.

Let It Be - no. Just no. Why would you even think of changing the lyrics to this song? If you have something that important to say then write a song about it. Don't mess about with one of the best songs ever written. A sin.

I quite liked this and would listen to it again no doubt. I've learned a bit more about Tina than I thought I knew so that's a plus.

I've also saved some of the better tracks onto my playlist. Enjoyed it.

7.5/10

• Upvote 2

Came on to do my review of Workin Together by Ike & Tina Turner and find that Zonko has pretty much written it already.

I really enjoyed listening to this.  It's a shame Ike was such a bastard because Tina definitely recorded some better music with him than by herself, and I reckon most people just think of her with that fright wig belting out "Simply the Best" which is probably one of the worst songs of all time.

Game of Love probably my favourite song on this one, but it's soulful and funky as shit the whole way through the record.  Probably didn't need to hear Let it Be again, but Proud Mary and Get Back work well as covers.

I'm going to give it an 8 out of 10, will listen again.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Came on to do my review of Workin Together by Ike & Tina Turner and find that Zonko has pretty much written it already.

I really enjoyed listening to this.  It's a shame Ike was such a bastard because Tina definitely recorded some better music with him than by herself, and I reckon most people just think of her with that fright wig belting out "Simply the Best" which is probably one of the worst songs of all time.

Game of Love probably my favourite song on this one, but it's soulful and funky as shit the whole way through the record.  Probably didn't need to hear Let it Be again, but Proud Mary and Get Back work well as covers.

I'm going to give it an 8 out of 10, will listen again.

That is pretty much the reason for selecting this record. I remember about a year ago hearing a song on radio 6 and was blown away by it. I had to find out who sang it. When I saw the title was 'game of love' that made sense, but the song was by Ike and Tina Turner? That can't be right. But I found the record and was just amazed that she had this back catalog that would have put many artists to shame. So many cracking songs, a great relationship musically but a terrible one in other respects.

I think there was a film of her life so perhaps there is a book also. I may look into it.

Review : Ike & Tina Turner - Workin' Together

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Tina Turner but let's go...

The title track hits the spot; lovely, mellow and soulful.

Get You When I Want - shake those maracas Tina, great chorus. Happy and bouncy.

Get Back - must say, I prefer the mellower Beatles original. Tina's screeching sets my teeth on edge tbh.

The Way You Love Me is much better, her vocal is a little lower and smokier at times and is more more pleasing. The song swings along just fine.

You Can Have It is more to my taste, nice guitar riff with lovely soulful backing vocals.

Game of Love immediately grabs my attention, you can never have enough Rhodes organ. Best vocal and song so far.

Funkier Than A Mozzie's Tweeter is certainly funky. Cracking tune.

Ooh Poo Pah Doo plods along, it's okay without ever being anything special.

Proud Mary is a really nice cover if the CCR classic, although I do prefer the slower first half of the song.

The bass is excellent on this record.

Goodbye So Long bounces along but is a filler track. Forgettable.

Let It Be? Leave it out. Lyrical changes? Nah, not for me.

Enjoyed the album, my opinion of Tina hasn't really changed any, the music is great throughout, lovely performances and mix.

The songs are short and never outstay their welcome.

7/10

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Interesting vocal in that Fiona Apple opener. Deliberately all over the place?

She has quite the history - meltdowns on stage, relationships with men and women, refusal to release records, quite the character. I think her music is deliberately chaotic.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Like spoken word over a couple folks banging around in their kitchen. 

I wonder what type of pans they were banging.

21 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Her Spotify playlist has now ran onto her version of Across The Universe and it's it's really lazy and really good.

Fucking LOVE that song though and you'd have to be a mammoth gimp to fuck it up.

Not sure if that's a good thing but I like that song.

I'm not going to do a full review of the Fiona Apple album but it's good. I have her Tidal album and this is quite far from that but the first track on that "Sleep to Dream" could easily sit on this album. It's a risky set of tunes but it really works. Strong on percussion and atmospherics. Lyrics and vocals are good. She's not everyone's cup of tea but I like her.

25 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'm not going to do a full review of the Fiona Apple album but it's good. I have her Tidal album and this is quite far from that but the first track on that "Sleep to Dream" could easily sit on this album. It's a risky set of tunes but it really works. Strong on percussion and atmospherics. Lyrics and vocals are good. She's not everyone's cup of tea but I like her.

I only put her up as @TheHowieLama had already listened to the workin' together record, glad you enjoyed it. She's a bit wacky but her music has character.

I haven't noticed if @Lee909 has listened to ike and Tina Turner...