You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Just now, Carvalho Diablo said:

Any more reviews left to come in before our next pick?

Just @Lee909 I think. Then I believe you are up, I think it's due tomorrow so up to you when you want to load it up.

On 21/04/2020 at 12:52, ZonkoVille77 said:

G. Love - The Hustle

First thing that strikes me is the production on this record. It's a little over the place at times. Sometimes it really hits the right spot in the likes of 'Love' and 'Booty Call' but then is lacking in 'Astronaut' and in 'Back of the Bus'. Maybe that's the quirk they were going for on this?

In saying that I quite enjoyed this record. It's clearly just a singer and band kicking off their shoes and having some fun. Groovy basslines, funky beats, nice guitar playing and a bit of Harmonica.. can't complain really. There's a few filler tracks here that don't quite hit the spot but are nice to listen to without being memorable. First half much better than the second half. It's an easy going record and I would listen to this having a few beers in the garden.

Highlights:

Love

Booty Call

The Fishing Song

Lowlights:

Back of the Bus - fuck off. Bus was burned into my head for hours after it.

I'll give it a 7/10

I sat out in the garden yesterday and listened to this with a beer. Started off good but it just didn't strike the same chord with me as the first few times listening. So I listened again this morning and I think I was being very generous with the 7/10 score. Some of it grates after a while. Sorry Howie!

I'm rely not sure what to put down here or even how to give a fair hearing as I have nothing but distaste for punk music in general especially if it's delivered like a sex pistols tribute band. 

Feel a bit of a twat just wanting to skip through the album but it does nothing for me and I prefer not to really just shit on people's musical tastes as I know mine are quite away from others on here. I got about 2/3rds through and ended up just skipping in and out to see if there's any change in style or tone. 

Honestly it's just a no for me. 

My musical taste is far to rooted in Southern States of American music to get anything punk, it's up there with modern Rap in things I just avoid

• Upvote 1

Hope I'm not jumping the gun but for our next AOW I thought I'd pick something quite different to The Peep Tempel, probs an album which most of us will have heard before already, but my next selection for AOW could well be my favourite album of all time...Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

• Upvote 1

I'll do a write up next Tuesday. 

At work all week and this deserve sitting in a darker room with a drink and head phones on and just switch off for 45 mins and listening through my record player not over YouTube 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hope I'm not jumping the gun but for our next AOW I thought I'd pick something quite different to The Peep Tempel, probs an album which most of us will have heard before already, but my next selection for AOW could well be my favourite album of all time...Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here.

I haven’t really listened to Pink Floyd since being overdosed on em by my stoner housemates back in 1995.

Probably about time to give them another spin. Nice one CD.

48 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I've toyed with choosing a Pink Floyd album so I'm glad someone has loaded one up. Looking forward to listening to this and I might have to use earphones for this one. 

5 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Enjoyed listening to the Pink Floyd album in full a couple if times, will be writing up on it soon.

I’ve also been enjoying listening to Wish You Were Here.

I’ve never really been a fan of Pink Floyd and would definitely say I prefer their early psych rock stuff to the later prog. However this may be my favourite of the proggy records, I definitely prefer it to Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

At 44 minutes it doesn’t outstay its welcome in my ears, and while it does get a touch wanky at times, mainly during “Shine on you crazy diamond”, it is really good wank. Rock n’ roll is about sex, whereas prog is music for wankers, but sometimes, as in this case, you can have a pretty nice time with a really good wank.

One of the things I find interesting about mid-latter era Floyd is that the music is so meticulous, but they never had anyone who could sing. It works well in this record though, because it kind of grounds the songs in reality a bit I reckon.

Another thing about this album is that a lot of it is bitching about the state of the music industry.

Lads, you’ve just come off the back of releasing one of the best selling records of all time, and you’ve been allowed to release this one which has 5 songs, one of which is 25 minutes long and split into two parts. God knows what they’d have to say about the state of the industry nowadays.

Anyway, I’ve really enjoyed listening to this over the last few days. It’s packed (well 5 songs) full of absolute classics.

I’m giving it 8.9789333 recurring out of 10

• Upvote 2

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd

I don't think I have listened to any Pink Floyd albums from start to finish. I have heard a few tracks from The Wall, Dark Side Of The Moon and The Division Bell. I also have a collection of tracks by Pink Floyd and presumably they are from their discography. But never from start to end one album. I know their early albums have some obscure titles and those have always put me off a bit. Might be time to have a go.

With that in mind I don't really have a standard to compare their albums - only their individual tracks. With that in mind, the first half of Shine On You Crazy Diamond is definitely one of the best constructed tracks I've heard of theirs. Am I right that it is a record for their founder members who either left the band or passed?

Welcome To The Machine seems much more stripped back, really nice relaxing record. The tone of the album seems almost like a fate of darkness is on the horizon.

Have A Cigar is great for it's complex riffs - it would be great live with light shows.

Wish You Were Here, I can't help but think Phil Collins stole this for one of his tracks, the chorus has a strong resemblance to one of his tracks - possibly Another Day in Paradise? Beautiful soundtrack.

I'd never heard the second half of Shine On...it's great as a long outro but not quite having the same effect of the first half.

A strong album, but personally for me Dark Side Of The Moon is their 5/5 masterpiece.

Four-half-stars-for-Brent-Weeks.png

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

I probably mentioned on here before that my first love in music was dance music and I had no real interest in anything else. I'd listen to the odd Beatles album the folks played but that was about it. That all really changed when I heard Shine On You Crazy Diamond for the first time. I was in school and an older lad I started buying hash from was chatting about music and he asked had I ever heard of Pink Floyd. "That Another Brick in the Wall shite" I answered. He gave me a clip across the ear.
So he starts filling me in on how great they are and listening to them with a spliff was a pleasure, and that they had a 25 plus minute version of one song, in 2 parts, called "Shine On You Crazy Diamond". He'd get me a copy on cassette. "Right so, knobhead. I'll give it a go. 25 min songs? Fuck's that about?" Life changing. I listened to that tape until it was in tatters. I didn't know music could sound so "Spacey, far out". The synths, guitar, lyrics - all just blew me away.

Fast forward to today. It's still one of my most favourite albums of all time. My favourite PF album by miles.
I think this is the PF album with the best vocals they've ever recorded. Definitely has the most sincere lyrics and some of the best pieces of musicianship laid down by Wright and Gilmour. The tempo of the album is actually pedestrian at best. But that you never once get bored is a testament to the brilliance on offer.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond - All parts.
Those epic 9 minutes of pure instrumental bliss leading up to Waters singing are a joy to behold. When I first heard it I was blown away.All manners of otherworldly sounds coming from Wright. Gilmour solos galore here. At 2.08 exactly Gilmour's guitar still gives me tingles. Then at 3:54 the 4 notes played by DM building up more suspense and just begging for your attention.
Waters' lyrics are brilliant too. Try listening to this without wanting to join in on "Shine On you..."
Just when things sounds like they are tapering off, up steps the Saxophone and the tempo changes and we're off again. Fucking brilliant. Not content with ending the track there, we have another 12 minutes of musical excellence on the 2nd side.

Blues/Prog - it never gets old.

Welcome to the Machine
Everyone's least favourite song on this album apparently. But you can't really listen to this track as a standalone track can you?
The tension this track brings ensures it's a part of the entire journey. The acoustic guitar brings a little bit of earthly grounding to an otherwise space epic.A nod to the music industry being complete leeches, but also "Big Brother" shadowing over everyone.
"Welcome my son, welcome to the machine. Where have you been? It's alright we know where you've been"

Have a Cigar
You can hear the contempt for industry execs just drip from this track. The guitar is the star here.
Superb guest vocals by Roy Harper. A fact I didn't realise until many years later. I just assumed it was Gilmour.

"Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?"

Wish You Were Here
This is just a beautiful song, isn't it? Lyrically and vocally it's top notch. Simple acoustic guitar work all blend in as a beautiful ode to Syd Barrett. I was lucky to see Gilmour live in Madison Sq Garden a few years back and this was played to perfection. I have yet to go to a house party that doesn't have someone belt out this song.

A Timeless album.
9.5/10

• Upvote 3

Wish you where here 

Pretty much a perfect album. 

Love nothing more than after a shitty day putting this on. Turn on a lamp, pour a drink and just shut everyone away for a while. I'm not going to split the tracks up as I don't think it needs it really and this was the peak Floyd era for me. I'm not big on the Barrett era and I think they lost everything that give the songs a edge and meaning once Waters left. 

Its a strange set up here with obvious odes to Syd and then the anti corporate songs between them. 

Not much to say but the lyrics through to the playing is just perfection. Carries enough of a bite in the middle while still paying tribute to Syd Barrett. Roy Harpers vocals was the right call on here too. 

Stand out is Wish you where here. 

Can't think of many better opening few minutes to any album 

10/10

• Upvote 1

Good record - had this.

The version of Proud Mary was a showstopper live for years. Some of the other covers are not at that level but I still like this version of Ooh Poo Pah Do best, another tune that was a part of their live show for years.

The title track is a great piece of old Soul - it has been on a couple recent tv shows which helped bring it to a new generation of ears - which is nice as it never really became part of Tina's repertoire as she grew older. The whole record of course, and this tune in particular, is clouded by the fact that their relationship was so toxic.

"We never, EVER do anything nice and easy" takes on a whole new meaning in hindsight.

Best track on the album for me has always been Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter.

8/10

43 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Good record - had this.

The version of Proud Mary was a showstopper live for years. Some of the other covers are not at that level but I still like this version of Ooh Poo Pah Do best, another tune that was a part of their live show for years.

The title track is a great piece of old Soul - it has been on a couple recent tv shows which helped bring it to a new generation of ears - which is nice as it never really became part of Tina's repertoire as she grew older. The whole record of course, and this tune in particular, is clouded by the fact that their relationship was so toxic.

"We never, EVER do anything nice and easy" takes on a whole new meaning in hindsight.

Best track on the album for me has always been Funkier than a Mosquito's Tweeter.

8/10

I'm going to be really cheeky. As you had this record before, I'm going to point you in the direction of this album...it's a new album and it's really grown on me.

Fiona Apple has released just a handul of albums over the last 20 years and one of them had the Guiness World Record for the longest title. This one is much shorter though - Fetch The Bolt Cutters

https://open.spotify.com/album/0fO1KemWL2uCCQmM22iKlj?si=wy4stSWmTBWOMtWvzMzFHA

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Kudos to @Shooter in the Motor for the double bagger.

Thoughts on first listens: digging Ike and Tina more than Fiona Apple.

Ike and Tina Turner is the primary pick. If it's been heard before and you want something new, Fiona Apple is secondary.