You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

That was not meant to sound maybe as negative as it came across.

Whatever happened to the guy, seems like his acting career just ended and the albums stopped.

He released two more albums, 'Ill (as in sick) Manors' in 2012 and 'Heaven Before All Hell Breaks Loose' in 2018. I have not heard either of these albums.

He decided to take a break from music and film as apparently he felt typecast in both music and film. 

I've gone for something I was listening to over the weekend... "This Was" by "Jethro Tull"

They've got better albums than this but I like the full on blues aspect of this one before they had a change of line up and went in a more pure folk rock/prog direction. I especiall y love "Cat's Squirrel"  - enjoy. 

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

You're in.

Zonko

Howie

Shooter

Me

You

Let's try and make it light and fun, weekly turnaround each Wednesday?

I’ll give this a go, this time around if you’ll have another.

I listened to most of the records anyway so might as well put some crap reviews up too.

• Upvote 1

“This Was” by Jethro Tull

I don’t think I’ve ever listened to a Jethro Tull album in full before, so score one for GF Music Review club right off the bat.

Anyway, bluesy psych rock with added flute, I quite like it. A bit indulgent for my taste at times and none of the tunes really grabbed me by the bollocks and made me say “this is fucking good”. 

Would I listen to it again? Yeah probably, would be good listening for a sunny afternoon lazy drinking session I reckon.  Hang on, it’s the afternoon here, sun’s out and I’ve got the day off...

• Upvote 2

Are Jethro Tull the band who played You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet on Smashie and Nicey?

Listened to the album, definitely easy listening ranging from folk to blues. Sunny day album and I would dip into them a bit more so definitely a good choice to get the ball rolling again.

7.5 smashies out of 10 niceys.

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Are Jethro Tull the band who played You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet on Smashie and Nicey?

Listened to the album, definitely easy listening ranging from folk to blues. Sunny day album and I would dip into them a bit more so definitely a good choice to get the ball rolling again.

7.5 smashies out of 10 niceys.

Bachman Turner Overdrive i think mate

This Was by Jethro Tull

Never heard this before and never even say down to listen to the band before now tbh but as soon as the the flute came in and the groove was swinging I knew I'd enjoy it.

Throughout, the playing is excellent and so to is the mix. I did find the vocals a bit flat at times though and wishing there was an Ian Gillan at hand to elevate the so gs even further.

Favourite song is probs the jazzy Serenade To A Cuckoo with its walking bass line and jazzy chords. Loved that and added it to my summer time playlist.

I did feel the album tailed off in the second half where songs gave way to bluesy jazzy jams.

Altogether though a solid 7 from me, will definitely play this again.

• Upvote 1

Jethro Tull
This was

My Sunday feeling
Like this, immedietly has the bluesly 60s sound. 
I know its a mainstay of the band but just feels like it could do without the flute.

Some day the sun won't shine for you
Delta blues, so right upo my street. Has some very close similarities to Key to the highway

Beggars Farm
The underlying  has a very North African/New Orleans feel mix of dark swampy sound with a heavy hypnotic beat.
Jazz flute (insert Ron Burgendy Gif) losses me a little

ThriftyJitteryCentipede-small.gif

Move on alone
More of a 60s English pop wymsical sound with a few added blues bars mixed in. 
Feels out of place so far

Serenade to a Cuckoo
Back to that more familar blues/Jazz sound
Flute feels a little more in place here without vocals.

Dharma for One
Far more jazzy without much of a blues feel

It's Breaking Me Up
Got a Clapton esq sound here, through both song and vocal approach

Cat's Squirrel
Darker,heavier blues getting into the 60 rock sound

A Song for Jeffrey
Standard 60s with the awful flute taking centre stage again.

Overall i enjoyed it. It will likely go into the rotation on my phone but with a couple of tracks removed. 
As i obvious no fan of the flute in a fair few of the tracks, feels like it was forced into the songs rather than needed. 

Good solid 7.5/10

• Upvote 2

The flute is a signature sound for Jethro Tull and it's a bit like Marmite. I really like it in their later work.

They've better albums albeit in different style to This Was. From rock to folk, I'd recommend these for a listen, or just go the easy route and listen to a Best of!

Benefit

Aqualung

Songs from the Wood

Edit: Steven Wilson did a lot of remastering on their back catalogue. Worth a listen. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Aqualung has one of the best guitar solos. 

Think I've mentioned this  about the time we where on Santa Monica pier, went into this bar and it was Kareoke, which is not for me, until this fella got up in one of those white Interpol macs with a belt and done Locomotive Breath, it was good and funny as fuck, I don't think I'll ever hear that one done in a karaoke again. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Aqualung has one of the best guitar solos. 

Think I've mentioned this  about the time we where on Santa Monica pier, went into this bar and it was Kareoke, which is not for me, until this fella got up in one of those white Interpol macs with a belt and done Locomotive Breath, it was good and funny as fuck, I don't think I'll ever hear that one done in a karaoke again. 

You know, some things you just cannot envisage...

15 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

You know, some things you just cannot envisage...

I wasn't expecting that, not to mention this loon, she reckons he fancied me, wearing a Cowboy hat, hi I'm Stonk he announced I used do the rodeos  but I've got bad hands, safe to say I was in bar balloon and enjoyed it.