You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

18 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Did you kick a cuddly panda? Shocking Tory behaviour, and was that Stringy at the end?

By you, do you mean I as in me (not you) ? Or you as in many of you, i.e. you lot? If the latter, then yes we did. That panda gets a battering in all of our videos. But if the former, then unfortunately no 'twas not I, I'm the sporty Ted.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Righto, at long last, some new music !

I think I've chosen an album that's easy to listen to, that most of you will like and most of you won't have heard before, and it's a record full of great songs. Ladies and gents, your new AOW is Your Favorite Trainwreck by Your Favorite Trainwreck.

Featuring members of Farside, Gameface and even one of the Brady Bunch (on drums), it's a belter and I hope you all enjoy it.

The GF Music Club Youtube channel

Your Favorite Trainwreck - Your Favorite Trainwreck

Spotify : Your Favorite Trainwreck by Your Favorite Trainwreck

Spotify : GF Music Club

Really struggled with @TheHowieLama 's pick, Eric Church's Mr Misunderstood, the second the dude started to sing and it was like uh, this is gonna be a struggle. Having said that, I listened to the album a few times and it was decent, those Nashville cats can really play and the songs weren't have bad either, it's just that whole country twang thang which I really struggle with.

I will try and get a proper review up sometime though.

Anyway, hope you find this month's YFT AOW easier to digest. Next man up (in a month or so) is @ZonkoVille77 . Cheers fellas.

• 2 weeks later...

OK -- so the first track the lead vocals are on, love both -- that style doesn't seem to continue into the other stuff but 

that is great.

Bounce Back - great song, lyrics, beat, the song the Gin Blossoms wanted to do - interesting topic, better playing and vocals

Getting into the record I hear a big REM influence - the dual vocals on The Brilliance and the delivery on Broken Pieces.

Forget How To Live -- great lyric -- should be said that the production of the record is great. The guitars have a little jangle and a enough bite - again the vocals are presented really well.

Amazing -- great break up/passive aggressive fuck you.

Reason -- another great dual vocal with some wry insight 

Must admit I had never heard of these fellas and Googled -- there is a show on Youtube from Hoboken (at a bar I have played in countless times that shall go unnamed) - wanted to see how they came across live. At the beginning of the record I thought they were English. Also thought they were a bit more punk. 

On Tonight -- straight up love rocker, great delivery

Barrel -- this is kind of what I expected at the beginning -- like a Billie Joe power pop takeoff with psycho billy riffing -- for me this is the least appealing track. For that reason.

Top stuff through and through - 8.5/10

BABY!!

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

OK -- so the first track the lead vocals are on, love both -- that style doesn't seem to continue into the other stuff but 

that is great.

Bounce Back - great song, lyrics, beat, the song the Gin Blossoms wanted to do - interesting topic, better playing and vocals

Getting into the record I hear a big REM influence - the dual vocals on The Brilliance and the delivery on Broken Pieces.

Forget How To Live -- great lyric -- should be said that the production of the record is great. The guitars have a little jangle and a enough bite - again the vocals are presented really well.

Amazing -- great break up/passive aggressive fuck you.

Reason -- another great dual vocal with some wry insight 

Must admit I had never heard of these fellas and Googled -- there is a show on Youtube from Hoboken (at a bar I have played in countless times that shall go unnamed) - wanted to see how they came across live. At the beginning of the record I thought they were English. Also thought they were a bit more punk. 

On Tonight -- straight up love rocker, great delivery

Barrel -- this is kind of what I expected at the beginning -- like a Billie Joe power pop takeoff with psycho billy riffing -- for me this is the least appealing track. For that reason.

Top stuff through and through - 8.5/10

BABY!!

Good on you for posting a cracking review. I'm going to play catch up this week with Walker album review, hendrix and the latest. There might even be a review of your selection, although that seemed to be the beans on this thread. Will listen to them all seeing as I have some time spare this week! 

Good work, musos! 

Your Favorite Trainwreck by Your Favorite Trainwreck

Really enjoyed this one. As I said above it's a real no nonsense rocker with only 3 tracks over the 4 min mark. I'd say they had a blast recording this. I never heard of these before so didn't know what to expect but had an inkling from CD's previous tastes. The recording is very good. Clear, immediate drums and bass. Very little in the way of guitar effects either. Excellent vocals and harmonies, also recorded very well. Band are tight and clearly very good musicians.

Let's get wrecked - very good opener. As my mate says - 'Straight in, no Kissin'.

Bounce Back - as Howie said, a bit of REM here but with a bit more oomph.

Late Expectations - reminds me musically of a track my old band had which I never liked. I don't really enjoy this one either. It's a bit of a rich tea biscuit.

The Brilliance - best track on the album for me. Great intro and lyrics are great. Love the dueling vocals.

Broken Pieces - There must be a million songs in the world that sound like this one. Easy listening with a great vocal.

Forget How to Live - a change of tempo and style here. The drumming pattern is an interesting change from what preceded it. It reminds me of a track that I just can't put my finger on. Might be from My Morning Jacket but I didn't bother going to find out.

To Be Amazing - Musically good, vocals are almost hinting at Darius Rucker. Can't get behind this one.

The Reason Why You Sang - Excellent track. Classic rock with lyrics we can all possibly relate to from our teen years.

Left Alone - More REM vibes. It's good. Harmonica is an essential addition to this one.

On Tonight - He's defo driving with some excitement in his pants. I could imagine Jarvis Cocker singing the start of this. I'm going to call this 'Keep Driving', it's what really sticks in my head when I listen to it. Good track.

Roll out the Barrel - A blast to close it off. Keys are cool at the end. Spit on the floor job.

Solid 8/10 - I'd absolutely listen to this again.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

So no review from me on Lir. Sorry.

Off the top it should be commended - the keyboard sounds throughout are mixed really well and sound like actual accoutic/electric pianos. In a Day, that is both acoustic and electric pianos so well used. It is a beautiful tune as well. There are some nice breakdowns - In the Parlour I think the bridge esp.

I am going for my usual lazy guy review and will concentrate on one tune - Dog Rythhms.

Hammond organ jam from the 70's - what could go wrong??

The jabby guitar is tight - vocalist in tune

Dub style delays in the break (AND backwards) then a little proggy section.

Vamp out is party time and air guitar -- so good.

Plan B.

The Defamation record in parts is really up my alley in so many ways. I am not going to get too deep into the concept but the CONCEPT is pure Detroit - mid 60's. From the beginning of the record these are the sounds that we have learned to love. I think he is a far better singer in falsetto - "Love Goes Down" is a perfect example. He can carry the falsetto but lacks a little richness and depth when he drops down.  I listened to other tracks after Defamation and that is his problem. He can do the rap thing with the accent and carry great melodies in falsetto but he is not a great soul singer. 

14 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Plan B.

The Defamation record in parts is really up my alley in so many ways. I am not going to get too deep into the concept but the CONCEPT is pure Detroit - mid 60's. From the beginning of the record these are the sounds that we have learned to love. I think he is a far better singer in falsetto - "Love Goes Down" is a perfect example. He can carry the falsetto but lacks a little richness and depth when he drops down.  I listened to other tracks after Defamation and that is his problem. He can do the rap thing with the accent and carry great melodies in falsetto but he is not a great soul singer. 

Worth bearing in mind that prior to recording the album, he had never sung on a record. He took some singing lessons before recording it, simply because he had an idea of an album he wanted to record but knew he couldn't sing it.

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Worth bearing in mind that prior to recording the album, he had never sung on a record. He took some singing lessons before recording it, simply because he had an idea of an album he wanted to record but knew he couldn't sing it.

That was not meant to sound maybe as negative as it came across.

Whatever happened to the guy, seems like his acting career just ended and the albums stopped.