You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Raw Power - Iggy and The Stooges

For some reason I've struggled to write a review for this one. It's an album I hadn't listened to for years so I was looking forward to hearing it again. I originally had this on cassette from a copy of a copy of a copy so I always just presumed it was the copying process that reduced the sound. This may have been true to a certain extent but on hearing it on Spotify it didn't sound too far off from what I originally heard. I'm not sure what I was expecting to be honest, maybe much better quality. Who knows. But then I listened to the Iggy Mix and the album came alive once more in a way I thought I'd get from hearing a better recording that I grew up listening to. I see why Iggy did it. Whilst it isn't perfect by any means it gives a better insight to how it may have sounded in the studio. The bass and drums clearly more prominent and adding weight to already brilliant songs. I enjoyed the album again as if it was new to me. 

I went back to the Bowie Mix after the Iggy Mix and it just annoyed me. More than it should have. I guess I'm just more used to hearing more polished recordings nowadays. Purists will always want the original and I get that, but there's so much missing from what Bowie had to work with that it sounds half finished. I read about what Bowie had to work with and I guess he did a great job with it to get the power of the songs across. 

Having said all that the songs are some of the best ever put to record. It's still a great album and the power of the songs haven't faded over time. Stand out tracks: Search and Destroy, Death Trip and Gimme Danger. 

7.5 out of 10.

• Upvote 3

As I've never listened to an Iggy Pop album, I found this quite a challenging introduction. I think the only song I may have heard of his is the most famous one, Lust For Life which I believe is on the Trainspotting soundtrack unless I am mistaken.

Therefore I was perhaps foolish in thinking that this was the kind of album I would be listening to. Not a chance, at least not from where I am stood. 

I can certainly hear on the Bowie mix the influences of the musical mastermind but I have to admit it's a little grating at times. It sounds very flat but this either was the intention or a result of the recording processes of the time.

Certainly the tracks mentioned in all the other reviews stand out - I don't normally read the other reviews but as this is such uncharted territory for me I felt I needed a reference point. 

Just a note on the live tracks - I thought for a few moments that I may have been listening to a Rolling Stones concert, especially on the Gimme Danger live track.

Not quite my cup of tea but I could possibly grow to like it on further listens. Will it get further listens? This specific album, possibly but only after I may find some others of his to listen to - likely starting with the album with Lust For Life on it!

Overall I would give a harsh 7/10 - it would be more enjoyable with better sound quality.

There's no live tracks on Raw Power. You must have been listening to some sort of expanded version, possibly with live tracks from the various bootlegs or Metallic KO tagged on. Personally I love Rubber Legs and Metallic KO and all that, rough as fuck as they are, but it's probably not the best introduction to the Stooges. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

There's no live tracks on Raw Power. You must have been listening to some sort of expanded version, possibly with live tracks from the various bootlegs or Metallic KO tagged on. Personally I love Rubber Legs and Metallic KO and all that, rough as fuck as they are, but it's probably not the best introduction to the Stooges. 

I listened to the version posted through spotify by Carvalho and there are live tracks there. It's the Legacy edition that has been posted there.

14 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

I love that people have unexpectedly listened to Cock In My Pocket myself. More the merrier. 

10 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Just burst out laughing. 

Did you both for real not know the live tracks were there?

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

Did you both for real not know the live tracks were there?

I've owned it on vinyl since I was a teenager. The extra tracks are probably the same recordings as on various bootlegs and gray area stuff like the Bomp and Skydog releases. Haven't heard the legacy version but I have a stupid amount of Stooges stuff. 

Iggy Pop - Raw Power (Bowie mix)

Right, rather than reviewing the album, which is solid 10/10 territory for me, I though I'd focus on the mix, which I was shamefully unaware of.

Well the difference kicks in straight away, with Search and Destroy. Iggy's vocals lack a certain venom, he sounds younger, almost glam at times. I like the feeling, being akin to a live set, but there are moments where the levels seem to be fiddled with in what I can only say - to my humble ear - seems a less than organic manner. I miss the grunt in the Iggy mix, the over-emphasised dirtiness of the guitar. 

My biggest gripe is how the outro is treated though. We all know the opening lyrics are arguably the greatest ever, but for me the outro has always been equally as satisfying; they bookend one another, or at least they should. The howls are a fitting climax to the track, but Bowie curtails their effect by fading out rather than letting the energy itself subside as Iggy's wails come to their natural conclusion.

I might actually prefer the Bowie mix of Gimme Danger. The vocals come to the fore, and I can hear more character in Iggy's voice when he's pushing that soulful vibe. Some of the guitar work sounds totally different too, and I like it. The slow fade out works better here.

Pretty Face Is Going To Hell - Maybe it's in my mind now, but the different levels are playing with me now; it's like a live set where something just doesn't sit quite right to your ear. The high end of the guitar, when isolated, gives the aura of more traditional rock. Good, but not what I associate with The Stooges of that period. 

The somewhat more intimate nature to the mix means Penetration no longer sits as much of a juxtaposing track. 

On to Raw Power, and after going back and forth I'm not hearing as much difference here. Pretty hard to mess with this one, just keep the riff. The only thing I don't like about this track (in both mixes) is the plinking in the background, like a prisoner of war tapping on pipes to signal the next cell.

The live-like delivery in I Need Somebody feels somehow slower, it's an even more laconic vibe, which I like. First track I think I prefer in this mix.

Sadly with Shake Appeal I'm back to feeling like the levels are all over the place as the song progresses. It's as if someone's in the background saying "Yeah, but listen to this bit" and twiddling a nob. To compound this sense (which, I admit, could be entirely in my head at this point) Death Trip's opening "yeah yeah yeah!" should break through, instead it's veiled in a fog that dissipates before the song starts in earnest.

This mix gets a still solid 7/10, as the underlying material is hard to dull the lustre of. However, I'm going back to the Iggy mix I never knew I'd been listening to for so long. Maybe it's acclimatisation, but everything in that one just sits perfectly with me, and has an organic quality, taking Iggy's delivery of snarl and soul and presenting against the staple of the guitars with due equilibrium. The lesson of the story is, don't fade Iggy in full flow.

• Upvote 4

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, Carvalho Diablo said:

@Red Dawn you ready to post your debut AOW tomorrow mate? Looking forward to it. No pressure like. 

Sorry, been off sick. I need to review the Raw Power album. 

Anyway going to go for something I doubt anyone has heard of but I loved these guys and thought they would be the next big thing back in the early 90's certainly where Im from. They have the stereotypical rock story... should have made it, got shafted by the record company and manager , tried to break America etc etc.

Picking them as they are a band I have yearned to see since I first heard them. They broke up mid 90's but are playing the album in full at a local gig in a few weeks and I finally get to see them.

The band are called Lir

The album is called Magico Magico

Don't know how to embed the stuff but its on Spotify 

For anyone who likes good music documentaries then this is about their story and  is well worth a watch

https://vimeo.com/user24171580/goodcakebadcake

Don't know how many of you are musicians but for those that are, you will definitely enjoy this band. Some quality playing and progressive stuff with this band.

• Upvote 2

So thanks again to Red Dawn for this AOW, once again it's a band whom I've never even heard of so looking forward to discovering what they're all about.

Next club member in the rotation due to choose his AOW is that old dog Shooter In The Motor. Shooter's AOW will be due around 6th February, so happy listening.

Anybody else who would like to join our little club please make yourselves known and I'll be glad to add you to the rotation.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 2

Just got the new Last Internationale album "Soul On Fire".

It's fucking lovely - and just gagging to be played LOUD.  It's heavier and harder than "We Will Reign", with echoes of Led Zeppelin, Patti Smith Group, Grace Slick and even a wee bit of Clash-style punk reggae.  I'd also say it's 2edgier" than the first album - by which I mean Edgy shows off his guitar noises to much greater effect.

Get a copy and treat your neighbours.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Last-Internationale-Soul-On-Fire/release/12991083

Fucking @AngryofTuebrook gegging in on a dispute that's not even his. Typical flying picket Union cunt.

Right, I'm going to sit down and listen to LiR Magico Magico as recommended by @Red Dawn who I've always found to be a massive cunt, so my hopes aren't high.

Actually I've never heard of the cunt, or his chosen band.

I've got enough ale to refloat the Titanic so I'm immune to pain.

So, here we go.

• Upvote 1

LiR Magico Magico.

Listening on you tube, so if there is any discrepancy in the order of tracks, blame @Carvalho Diablo, who is also a massive cunt.

Track 1

Traveller

Starts slowly but picks up, like this. The vocals could be roughed be the tune is good.

As an opening track, that's not too bad.

Track 2

Dog Ryhtms

Upbeat track, I like the general feel of it, slightly funky, but I'm waiting to for it to take off.

It reminds me of a late 80's early 90's band so far but can't put my finger on who.

Track 3

Not to be overlooked

This is OK, but like a one paced Foreigner tribute band. The opening was protracted and while it's OK, it needs revving up. Musically it's fine, but too many instruments for my tastes.

Track 4

New Song

Good opening. This has a feel of Smashing Pumpkins Adore album.

The music is OK, it's a decent track but the same pace.

I don't like this vocalist much.

Track 5

Some folks are truly evil

I agree with the song title.

Again this had an 80's feel about it. 

The lyrics are well meaning, has a Simon and Garfunkel feel about it.

Quite liked this song.

Track 6

3 legged guy

Better, much better. Good feel about it, more upbeat, sounds abut like Then Jericho.

Not bad, best song so far.

Track 7

The house of song

That's better. I still can't put my finger on who this reminds me of, but this is the best track so far. Takes off more, still that 80's feel, of an upbeat LotusEaters, China Crisis.

Enjoyed that song best.

Track 8

In a day

They've gone plinky plonky and atmospheric again. And twiddly on the guitars.

Listenable, not bad, but too 'musical' for my tastes.

Track 9

Good cake Bad cake

I'm not sure what to make of this. Homage to 60's psychedelic pop?

2 minutes of twanging and niceness. 

Not bad mind.

Track 10

Two Worlds

Another 80's feel song. Atmospheric in sound. Drifts and takes you along with the melody.

Almost has the feel of a Sting solo song about it, from The Blue Turtles era.

Yeah, not bad.

Track 11

In the Parlour

Funky Chili Peppers opening.

Not a bad song, probably the 2nd best on the album. Quite enjoyed this. Sounds abit like The Adventures but funked up. Got better as it went along. 

Quite enjoyed this song.

I have to say that this wasn't quite my things, but nonetheless it wasn't bad at all, in fact it was OK.

There was of a part of In the parlour that I really enjoyed.

Overall I'd give it 6.5/10 on the basis that while it was OK, it never really took off. There were times where it was ripe to rip roar, but it stayed at just above normal pace.

I can't say that I'd listen to it again by choice, but if somebody played it and I was off my head, I'd probably drift along to it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2