You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

I, Gemini by Let's Eat Grandma

I'd never heard of 'Let's Eat Grandma' (shite name, let's be honest) so no idea what was in store. I looked them up and they were 17 making this which made it even more interesting.

After 5 listens to the album I have to say I have enjoyed it. It's a somewhat unsettling piece of work. Chaotic and a bit mad lyrically (their age has clearly got something to do with this in both instances) but it demands your attention because you just don't know what is coming next. I've honestly no idea how to describe what I've just listened to after it finishes. It's quite clearly pop but it has also got it's dark moments. I guess that's a good thing. There is no holding back on the amount of different instruments used either, which is very brave. Nice one….

Track by Track:

Deep Six Textbook:
I love the ethereal feel to this whole track. It's dream-like with a lovely, almost funeral march drum track. The keys just enhance the whole ambiance of the song. Lovely vocals which just sit nicely in the mix. I think I hear a glockenspiel? I love a bit of glock in a track. Great start.

Eat Shiitake Mushrooms:
I have a long-lasting memory every time I hear Shiitake Mushrooms mentioned anywhere. I was on a date in a restaurant with a girl from Rostrevor in Northern Ireland and when we were ordering she asked the waiter what "Shite-ache" mushrooms were. Anyway….. This track has a late 80's or early 90's minimalist feel to it but with a nice little bit of experimentation thrown into it. I like the 'club' sounding bassline. I also like the little kind of a cowbell sound going on throughout this (no idea what it is). The vocals sound like a couple of teenagers just throwing about sentences that make no sense but happen to sit well with the music. I'm liking the brazen confidence of these so far. Although I'm not mad about the rap piece though.

Sax in the City:
A little groovy number which has an almost ragga feel to it. It just oozes confidence. That sax may just be a few simple notes but it packs a punch. Very catchy.

Chocolate Sludge Cake:
Just mad. At over 6 mins long with a recorder (I think) playing for close to the 3 min mark. You'd think you were listening to a bit of Jethro Tull or Genesis. Then the vocals come in that are just creepy. Then it goes all bonkers about making different types of cakes - WTF. Maybe it's from some nursery rhyme or fairy tale or something that I'm not aware of. Ends with wailing and screaming "I'm in the dark, so terrified, I'm petrified". I'm not sure I like this track but I respect it 100%. This is brilliant experimentation and very brave as I've said before.

Chimpanzees in Canopies:
Like a weird folk song. Mad theme and vocals. Nice harmonies on the vocals here, girls.  It's an ok track and nothing special.

Rapunzel:
Just about cements any Nursery Rhyme/Fairy Tales ideas I had. Except it's a nightmare. Lovely dream-like start and the piano is lovely throughout. Then… "my cat is dead, my father hit me" - eh ok. Bonkers again. Really creepy, really catchy and really good. Probably my favourite track on the album.

Sleep Song:
Like a cheap Casio keyboard or something here that's a bit annoying but adds to the unsettling nature of the track. Harmonica over it? It's just all so unexpected but somehow works. More creepy vocals and shrieks at the end. This track is too long however; could have done without the first minute and is a bit repetitive.

Welcome to the Treehouse Part I and II:
All discordant and cacophonous until a tribal-like drum kicks in. The atmospherics in these tracks are quite incredible at times coming from such young artists. The double vocal delivery is top class.  The song just tugs at you and begs to be listened to. Brilliant piece of music.

Uke 6 Textbook:
The title gives it away of course, but that unmistakable ukulele is nice to listen to. Great version to cleverly loop it back to the opener and showcase their adventurous spirit.

All-in-all this album should be a bit of a disaster. But it isn't. It all works well and the lyrical themes really match the music or vice-versa. There are some parts that don’t work but I wouldn't go begrudging these 2 young girls on their efforts. They have accomplished more in music than I ever will. That they are indeed young shouldn't detract from views about the album - it would be impressive album for anyone making it.

You could imagine 'Let's Eat Grandma' writing a film score or a musical when they grow older. Clearly talented, I'll be looking at their other and future releases. -  I'll give it 8/10

PS/ This would absolutely drive my missus up the wall listening to the creepy parts, so it's going on the next time she moans at me for not putting the toilet seat down.

• Upvote 3

Great review, and spot on about the film score, their style is very cinematic, particularly the intros that set the mood.

Their second album came out this year if anyone's interested; it's less experimental but arguably slicker, like the smart pop of the late eighties and early nineties. I'm pretty sure they'll be huge, so you can all thank me when people start mentioning them and you can reply "Oh yeah, I preferred their first album."

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Great review, and spot on about the film score, their style is very cinematic, particularly the intros that set the mood.

Their second album came out this year if anyone's interested; it's less experimental but arguably slicker, like the smart pop of the late eighties and early nineties. I'm pretty sure they'll be huge, so you can all thank me when people start mentioning them and you can reply "Oh yeah, I preferred their first album."

I listened to the 2nd album today and it's very good too, albeit less madcap. It's very well polished and the production is clearly better. They are an interesting duo. Perhaps I wouldn't go to see them live but I'd defo stick their albums on if I was looking for something a bit different. Kembra's album 'Vows' is something along these lines and is a good one to pop on now and again.

• Upvote 1

That's a great review there Zonk. Agree with a lot of your musings. I've only listened once to the album so far and have to say it is captivating. Encouraging that young artists like this can still get their stuff out there on platforms like Spotify for us all to enjoy. Review to follow shortly. Great find Babbs!

• Upvote 2

I Gemini by Lets Eat Grandma :

First few minutes into the album I thought I can't listen to this. Its a bunch of kids sounding even younger than their 17 years. The name...oh my god..the name. What have I done signing up to GF Music Review Club and being landed with this "music"???? . Being the anal retentive OCD obsessed middle aged grump that I am I decided I may stick this out and see it through.

Thank fuck I did. What an fabulous piece of work by these upstarts. It totally warmed my heart and gave me hope that there are still mad cunts out there willing to stick their neck out and produce art like this.

Zonko called it on the soundtrack vibe. I totally get it and totally love it. I think that is the essence of this album and the sonic soundscape that it produces. I listened on my commute and despite the trafiic, crap weather and nervous stomach thanks to my terrible job I was transplanted numerous times while listening to forests, mountain tops, rivers, beaches, dark lonely bedrooms, wardrobes etc. I was entranced literally at times waking only when a song finished or when the two girls slapped me in the face with a wet fish at the start of another "song".

To the songs. They could have dropped 2 or 3 of the songs and it would have no effect on the album and in my opinion would only serve to enchance it. Im talking about you Chocolate Sludge Cake,Sleep Song and welcome to the treehouse 1. But who the fuck am I compared to these little geniuses. They probably know better.

At times it feels like they made the album by just picking up whatever happened to be lying around on their bedroom floor. Ace. It shouldn't work but it does. The mentalists.

Deep Six Textbook - talk about drawing you in, reaching inside your gut and having a good tug. Its sets the scene nicely for whats to follow or so you would think.

Eat Shiitake Mushrooms - Can do without the rap but nice hook saves it.

Sax in the City - Cool. Dirty. Gritty. My image is late at night. Rain. Streets of New York. Broken street lights. Characters of the underclass shifting silently between alleyways. Like it.

Chocolate sludge cake - Nah thanks.

Chimpanzees in Canopies - I really like the last 90 seconds of this. Im a sucker for a mandolin or ukulele or whatever the hell it is they are playing in the background. Can do without the first half.

Rapunzel - Genius. Stunning. Oh man that piano. The story, the imagery the meaning. Well done girls. Scarey as fuck.

Sleep Song - No.

Welcome to the treehouse 1 - Don't see the point. 

Welcome to the treehouse 2 - Maybe this is the point??? - anyway I really like this. Cocteau Twins anyone? Not fair probably but that's the vibe I get and it sits well with me.

Uke 6 Textbook - yeah fuck it. Stick one more track on the album. Grab the nearest instrument from the bedroom floor of my 4 year old sister. Oh look a Xylophone and a Ukulele. Lets go nuts. A suitable ending for a brilliant piece of work.

Now will I listen to this again? I might but then again I may not for a long time. Is that a bad thing? Probably but I tell you what I'm really glad I did listen this week. Isn't music utterly wonderful!!!!!!!

• Upvote 4

Review : Let's Eat Grandma - I, Gemini

So once again, another band whom I've never even heard of.

[presses play]

Reverbed out drums and bone dry hand claps usher in Deep Six Textbook. "Let's eat grandma, in full colour...", pronounce the child like vocals. "I feel like standing on the desk, screaming 'I don't care'"

Slow, slow, deep bass dives, swimmy and utterly chilled, most definitely not Blackberry Smoke.

Lowfi bell chimes solo ? Both child like and charming. I like.

Eat Shiitake Mushrooms - xylophone and organ, again eclectic and charming, form a riff of sorts. This is certainly very different, it does reind me of The Do. Gives way to a synthy poppy fairground disco beat, 2 minutes in and I'm digging this.

"He was never invincible, he was never predictable, shiitake mushrooms how do you grow ?". I like the Neneh Cherry in nappies rap, at thimes they sound like they're from Tokyo, at time London. Another thumbs up, best song yet.

And now we have an electric synthy accordion warbling, Sax In The City. More twee deconstructed synth pop with a big catchy riff and vocal. Genuinely sound around 14 or 15 these girls. I like that there's a big catchy hook to grab a hold of, and a catchy vocal melody.

Reminds me a bit of Ian Brown's Unfinished Monkey Bussiness, quite rough and under produced. 3/3 so far.

Chocolate Sludge Cake sneaks in a bit like U2 / Passengers' Slug before woody recorders tease us with Jerusalem.

Totally our of my comfort zone here, bewildered but enjoying the ride, probably like the band themselves.

"I'm gonna make a carrot cake, no I'm gonna make a chocolate cake..." Okay, you like cake, I'm with you.

Is that a yute ? Transported to The Water Margin by the opening bars of Chimpanzees In Canopies (Monkey Business again ?), "Does it echo underwater ?" asks an affected, purposely geographically ambiguous voice.

Lime green swings and cherry trees ? This has me baffled, but I'm still very much invested, very different. I like, I think.

I love the reverbed out piano intro to Rapunzel, which again gives way to another distinctly Japanese flavoured lick.

"My cat is dead, my father hit me, I ran away...". Again, a cockney twang, " Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your hair..." Goosebumps now, lovely this one. Best song yet and added to my playlist.

Sleep Song stutters along and tumbles in like a sozzled sea shanty. Trying to catch a riff or a hook, more distant percussion and dischordance. Struggling with this one, still nothing to grab hold of and drag me along, it's like treading water in a sensory deprivation tank.

I'm glad that Google understands.

Welcome To The Treehouse pt 1 - are we in an enchanted forest or being stalked by a predator ? "See me down into the maze, see me, the evil where we lay ?". A haunting hook, "I keep thinking about death" ?

Both enchanting and not a little disturbing.

Welcome To The Treehouse pt 2 - picks up the pace with some lovely drums and chimes.

"And I keep thinking 'bout it / see me down into the breaths", beautiful haunting twin vocals, more goosebumps, another beauty.

Uke 6 Textbook is another delightful little jam, with xylophone and ukelele. "Why, why, why ?", is the ambiguity which finishes this very ambiguous little record.

Must say that BBN has played a blinder here, uplifting happy vibes, innocent, fresh and very very different.

So where are these girls from and how on earth did they come up with this ? Maybe I'd rather not know.

Really enjoyed this record.

8/10

• Upvote 3

I like it, Chvrches, Little Dragon right through to Bjork and loose, slow beats that even remind me of DJ Shadow (from the perspective of not listening to Shadow for at least five years at this point).  It's got solid melody and good hooks as well, which most similar new stuff lacks for me (but all of the other mentioned artists were great at). 

I actually prefer the last album from what I've listened to so far.  Enjoyed both though, thumbs up.

• Upvote 2