You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Late again with my review but at least this time I have an excuse. The first few listens left me more than a little bewildered that I thought I'd leave it a while and go back to it. It hasn't worked of course. I'm still not entirely sure what to make of this album but I am going to try and put my thoughts and feelings into some kind of order.

This album, as far as I can tell, is a concept album with a curious turn of combining trip hop beats with lounge music. It's also a parody, or at least I think it is. Certainly some of the lyrics and talking parts suggest a comic intent. The music on the other hand is mostly serious. There is a dreamy and beguiling quality to the trip hop beats. The kind that slowly sinks its hooks into you. It doesn't always work, there were a couple of songs I could have done without if I am honest, but in the main I enjoyed the music very much. Can't say the same for the vocals. I liked her, not so much him. Mike Patton sounded very much like the musical equivalent of a square peg in a round hole to these ears. Quite often the down tempo and sultry nature of the sounds was jarred by his inclusion. Lastly the half joking, half serious nature of the album as a concept doesn't really work for me. No idea why not but if the comic interludes and the sometimes knowing winks to the listener had been removed I would have enjoyed this much more.

Overall I liked this album. Still not entirely sure how much I like it however. There were a few niggles which stopped me really enjoying it.  

• Upvote 1

I’ve took some time away from the site. I found myself getting into unnecessary arguments which took up a lot of my free time, free time that I could spend in a more productive way. I want to respect the thread, which is magnificent, and the camaraderie of all the posters within it. I didn’t want to take time away without showing my appreciation for everyone on the site or honouring my commitments.

So without further ado the album of the week is….. Fire of Love by The Gun Club. If you've got a free or paid Spotify account i'd suggest listening to it there, the sound quality is noticeably better. I'll link both in case there's any difficulties accessing one.

Spotify

https://open.spotify.com/album/3OrGW7wRB8dIZ8EYrAkkWW

Youtube

• Upvote 5

Never heard of them but great to see that Boss is back. No idea what arguments have gone on on the site but Boss is always welcome here. Fucking great poster and an integral member of our club.

Looking forward to this. Updated linkage etc to follow when I get to my laptop...

Kid Congo by the way. Imagine being in Gun Club, The Cramps AND the Bad Seeds. Some fucking CV that.

I know, crazy. He'd already played for The Gun Club and The Cramps within his first full year of learning the guitar. Glad you like the record cloggy. Was that the same venue you saw Roky or is it a different one?

I know, crazy. He'd already played for The Gun Club and The Cramps within his first full year of learning the guitar. Glad you like the record cloggy. Was that the same venue you saw Roky or is it a different one?

Nah, was in Oedipus Brouwerij. Lovely beer but shitty sound to be honest.

Okay then lads, rolling again. Hope we all enjoy Boss' latest AOW.

Next to choose his AOW is Howie, due around Monday or Tuesday 13th / 14th August.

Hopefully this album will get a few new contributors as it's an unusual choice. I have already given it a listen and I've never heard them before but they remind me of a few bands...

The Gun Club - Fire of Love

Not having heard of them I didn't know what to expect. After the first couple of seconds of the first track I knew what I was in for…  Blues/Punk/Rock stripped back to its bare bones.  It has to be the start of a sound that led to Nirvana/Pixies/Sonic Youth?

I like the minimalist feel to this album. Simple chords. Metronomic heavy hitting drums.  Love the use of the slide guitar throughout. Not a fan of the vocalist but it suits this style completely. The vocals are also a bit badly mixed, too high in the mix at times. But again, suits the sound.

Tracks:

Sex Beat - If I didn’t know this was The Gun Club, I would think it was Jack White/The White Stripes. Similar to the Ramones too. Lyrics are cool. “We can fuck forever, but you will never get my soul”

Preaching the Blues - Cover version. Just rocks. Like the slide guitar on this

"Blues, is low down shaking chill/You ain't never had them, I hope you never will" - that line sounds much better delivered on this souped-up version of Johnson's song.

Promise Me - very moody track. Sort of reminds me of a Doors song I can't put my finger on. My favourite track on this album. Although the slide guitar would be absent from a Doors track….

She's like Heroin to Me - I can imagine people in the 80's first hearing this and going ape. It's a proper blast. I'm sure there's some self-reflection in this track…

For the Love of Ivy - This is a song trying to create hell, or drag the devil out from hell. "I was all dressed up like Elvis from hell." Cool.

Fire Spirit - picturing a crazed guy with voodoo dolls heading to the mountains, dark rituals in mind, with a plan to wreck the gaff. "someone will step out of the circle" - and get fucked up. Not a great vocal on this one but a rocker.

Ghost on the Highway - rockabilly sound. Real foot tapping tune. More dark lyrics. Death, loss, drowning. Great slide again.

Jack on Fire - Cinematic feel to this one. A murderer on the prowl. Crazed slide keeps the track together and fucks shit up at the end. Definitely hearing Jim Morrison-ish/Doors vibe on this one.

Black Train - Great drumming on this one, mimicking a, well, a train. Quite bluesy howls from the singer. Ends a bit too quickly.

Cool drink of Water - decent bluesy number. Sounds like he's in pain singing. Gets a bit grating after a time though. Too long to keep me interested.

Good by Johnny - decent track keeping in line with the rest of the album and closes it well.

Good listen. Wouldn't be mad about it in all honesty, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Solid 7/10.

• Upvote 3

Fire Of Love by The Gun Club

Not exactly a typical 80s album here at all although the punk scene was alive and well. This presumably was released to those ears at the time and I knew nothing about it back then. So a new album for me here.

1. Sex Beat.

Opening bars remind me almost of Kings of Leon way before their time. Add in a bit of The Clash and a good start is heard here. Vocals are a little 'talky' for me but good start.

2. Preaching The Blues.

Good punk sound here and very different to most of the music I would have heard from the 80s. Lots of good blues and country licks in here with a punk overtone. Nice.

3. Promise Me.

Different styles here, good tempo nicely slowed down. Very different vibe but vocals don't quite fit for me. Good quality musicianship, no questions of this.

4. She's Like Heroin To Me.

Definitely punk styles here especially with the title giving away a reckless attitude. Maybe not the strongest track but good musicianship again. Perhaps the vocals suit better here.

5. For The Love of Ivy.

Kings of Leon bounce out here, like this and way ahead of their time. Minimal vocals but such a good soundtrack. Like this.

6. Fire Spirit.

The punk sounds return in force here, quite like this and the vocals have grown on me a bit. Not the best singer but it does match up.

7. Ghost On The Highway.

Again I'm thinking Kings of Leon must have heard of this band. So much similarity. Good choice of album so far, like this.

8. Jack On Fire.

And again, the opening bars could have been lifted from a Kings of Leon album. Not my favourite track though.

9. Black Train.

High notes stop me enjoying this. Weakest track so far. Next.

10. Cool Drink Water.

Slows down for this one, almost a country vibe to this. Quite like it but again high notes perhaps not the best idea. Almost wolf-like. It almost works but not quite.

11. Good Bye Johnny.

The album plays out with a slightly disappointing run of tracks but the first eight tracks are very good. 

All in all, a good album with a few fillers but a comfortable 7.5 / 10.