You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Ok. Ok. Ok. If moof is gonna be a let down I’ll step up to the plate after 5 hours of deliberation, I’ve picked my AOW.

I was torn between at least 7 albums. Wanted to avoid the heavy choices of previous AOW’s I’ve done. And this really is a different vibe to what could be expected of me.

I present to you......

242f0aeb7011b8044d9eb418f85f9a13.png

Nathaniel Merryweather - Loveage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By.

https://open.spotify.com/album/3QFwPfYolMmXNNdOrRLLGE?si=ENL13zCYTFWI3usP_rxDcQ

Enjoy.

• Upvote 3

Hahahaha! I swear to you that I'd already decided that this was gonna be my own AOW ! Skids the mind reader.

So looking forward to listening to this again and reviewing with critical ears.

A rare record that sinks it's talons in a grips you like crack. Waking in the night with riffs and hooks stuck in my brain.

Hope all you club members love this as much as I do. Great choice Skids, absolutely great choice, and thanks for stepping up at such late notice.

Personally,I need to thank Setreal for putting me onto this album several years ago, without his intervention I doubt I would ever have found it.

Until now.

Wooooooooooooooo.

• Upvote 2

Hahahaha! I swear to you that I'd already decided that this was gonna be my own AOW ! Skids the mind reader.

So looking forward to listening to this again and reviewing with critical ears.

A rare record that sinks it's talons in a grips you like crack. Waking in the night with riffs and hooks stuck in my brain.

Hope all you club members love this as much as I do. Great choice Skids, absolutely great choice, and thanks for stepping up at such late notice.

Personally,I need to thank Setreal for putting me onto this album several years ago, without his intervention I doubt I would ever have found it.

Until now.

Wooooooooooooooo.

Soz pal, snooze you motherfucking lose.

I wasn’t going to pick it till I was listening to it the other night, and I immediately thought this needs to be heard as my AOW.

Did someone ping Moof -- think we should let him back in if he shows up

Edit -- just sent him a PM 

Just change the order, he should choose one if he wants to.

Review : Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By by Lovage

Man, I absolutely love this record.

[presses play]

Ladies Love Chest Rockwell - Fancy cars, cognac, weed, ecstasy and that big bulge inside of Chest's pants are all explored in this opening scene setter, yup, the ladies sure do love Chest Rockwell. The intro revs you up for...

Pit Stop - The first proper song on the record, and the first glorious hook. Mike Patton pulls his enormous 18 wheeler into Jennifer Charles' Pit Stop and spends the night. Hypnotic, dirty, and rather ace. Gorgeous vocals.

Anger Management is slower, mournful and sexy as sin. Wonderful Mike Patton vocal : "And the music was like wind in your hair | the moonlight carressed your silhouette | kiss of ocean mist is in the air | why must God punish me this way ?"

Sublime.

Everyone Has A Summer is a lovely breezy guitar interlude, some great harmonica  mouth organ and background strings, nice turntables. This record is all over the place but it just works. Cracking little ditty.

To Catch A Thief is the first of the Hitchcock trilogy and it's damn good. Jennifer Charles takes the spotlight as the sultry femme fatale, lying naked on her bed, crown jewels on her head, hoping to snare her mystery man.

Incredible vocals by Ms Charles always induce a stiffy in these pants.

Lies & Alibis is another winsome interlude, all flute and xylophone, with lovely laid back beats. Unlike most hip hop, where Lovage really hits the spot is in the space it affords the vocalists, and not to mention it's sense of humour and killer hooks.

Lies and Alibis takes a dark turn near the end which turns the song on it's head. Hypnotic, it'll have you awake at night.

Herbs, Good Hygiene and Socks is about the only track that I'm not too fond of, eagre to crack on to the next song. Sage advice to keep the old chap frsh and clean though kids.

Book Of The Month - The single ? Another killer riff, lovely drums, they really sound great here. Charles' and Patton's vocals just work so damn well together : "You are the griddle, I am the meat."

Bonus points for the xylophone.

Lifeboat - Part 2 of the Hitchcock trilogy and it's another fucking ripper. The plaintive clank of the distant bell, the creak of the rope and the whistling of the wind, I always feel cold whenever I listen to this horny masterpiece.

"How can it be that we defy this tragedy, from this lifeboat in the dark ? Is it wrong that we should come together ? Wind and sorrow bear a spark."

Lifeboat's lyrics are masterful in their poetry, quite wonderful, matched only by the immense vocal performances and the understated but quite beautiful music. An incredible song.

Strangers On A Train is the final act of this Hitchcockian blockbuster (and possibly my favourite). Jennifer Charles conjurs Yves Marie Saint as she tempts old 007 himself into a nameless, shameless liason.

The percussion is phenomenal, conjuring a real sense of motion. The lyrics ? "Oh I think we're going faster, from the moutains to the pasture..."

Phew, jackpot.

Love The Lovage Baby - Damon Albarn, take a bow son, I really fancy knocking up and quaffing old Devon's most popular imbibe.

Sex (I'm A) is actually a cover of the old Berlin tune.

Ha, yup the original is fucking horrible but Sex is probably my favourite song on this entire record, Charles especially, going into a frothing rohypnol overdrive.

My girlfriend might not know it but she loves this song. The guitar riff is fantastic, as is the synthy flute. Wall to wall sex.

Koala's Lament cools things down a bit following the orgasmic Sex. More lovely summery guitar waves which appear out of the blue like an old flame, they serve their purpose and they don't outstay their welcome. The mix on this record is outstanding.

Tea Time With Maseo is another short filler, before the albums finale. Again, just short enough not to outstay it's welcome.

Stroker Ace - "I'll sing to you my mewing charm | Looks like you could use a pet | And purr my purr all night long | I think a pussy's your best bet"

Fucking hell, Jennifer Charles is on the prowl, craving some loving... and she can lap my cream any time she want's it.

Horny as fuck, another track which will invade your dreams at night. Addictive as crack, another absolute corker.

Archie & Veronica - No, the last song ! Awesome, sombre, dark and twisted tale of love beyond the grave. Nothing is taboo here.

"Little buttercups and wild daisies, by the lily pond, remember baby ?" What a vocal by Charles.

Patton's refrain ? "Sitting on a cold slab, feeling my warm stab..." Haha!

What a chorus and what a song. Wonderful percussion and tremelo, love the crackles too.

So, damn ! It's all over and way too quickly. That hour just races past, this record is just perfect for these hot and sultry summer nights..

I love this record, a huge Patton fan but this is possibly his finest ever work, straight out of left field, packed with humour and great music but it's the two incredible vocalists who steal the day. Jennifer Charles especially, take a bow. Wow.

Footnote : I'd love to see Paul drop in a review of this record tbh, would be very interested in how this floats with his hip hop sensibilities. So Paul, if you're reading this...

• Upvote 2

Lovage: Music To Make Love To Your Old Lady By

Is this meant to be a piss take or is meant to be serious. Maybe both? It has a definite comedic feel to it...

With such an all-star line up it's hard to think that it's anything other than serious. Obviously it's meant to be a play on the typical "romantic" type of albums from the 70s and 80s, with a dash of sexism that you'd normally find in a hip hop album.

I've listened to it about 15 times before writing this, and I just don't know what to make of it. I mean, it's good. It's very good in places. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either. I think Jennifer's vocals are absolutely superb, and I challenge any man not to think of getting a stiffy after listening to Sex (I'm A). Those moans would bring a man back from the dead. Her delivery on Strangers on a Train is perfect and she owns the track.

KK's scratching throughout is excellent. Koala's lament sounds like it could be from a 70's romantic break up movie, yet is still unmistakably hip hop. Also nice to hear Patton doing this type of stuff, it suits him.

It's a very chilled out album and as CD says, perfect for this weather.

I'm getting Portishead vibes, Morcheeba. Then some standard hip-hop (trip-hop) vibes with the looping piano tracks, organs, horns and strings. But it's very one paced really and I lost interest at times, mainly due to the interludes. 

Overall it's a fun album with some really excellent parts and equally silly parts. Lyrics are quite funny and add to the laid back feel of the album. Production is faultless. It won't even sound out of date in 10 years time.

Highlights:

To Catch a Thief

Book of the Month - probably my favourite track

Sex (I'm A)

Strangers on a Train

A solid 7/10

• Upvote 4

Is this meant to be a piss take or is meant to be serious. Maybe both? It has a definite comedic feel to it...

With such an all-star line up it's hard to think that it's anything other than serious. Obviously it's meant to be a play on the typical "romantic" type of albums from the 70s and 80s, with a dash of sexism that you'd normally find in a hip hop album.

I've listened to it about 15 times before writing this, and I just don't know what to make of it. I mean, it's good. It's very good in places. I don't love it, but I don't dislike it either. I think Jennifer's vocals are absolutely superb, and I challenge any man not to think of getting a stiffy after listening to Sex (I'm A). Those moans would bring a man back from the dead. Her delivery on Strangers on a Train is perfect and she owns the track.

KK's scratching throughout is excellent. Koala's lament sounds like it could be from a 70's romantic break up movie, yet is still unmistakably hip hop. Also nice to hear Patton doing this type of stuff, it suits him.

I'm getting Portishead vibes, Morcheeba. Then some standard hip-hop (trip-hop) vibes with the looping piano tracks, organs, horns and strings. But it's very one paced really and I lost interest at times, mainly due to the interludes. 

Overall it's a fun album with some really excellent parts and equally silly parts. Lyrics are quite funny and add to the laid back feel of the album. Production is faultless. It won't even sound out of date in 10 years time.

Highlights:

To Catch a Thief

Sex (I'm A)

Strangers on a Train

A solid 7/10

Can just imagine you doing the garden to this and the neighboours thinking, "What the fuck's he listening to now ?!"

• Upvote 1

Highlights:

To Catch a Thief

Sex (I'm A)

Strangers on a Train

A solid 7/10

It's a good album, very fun and it reminds me in tone and style to some of the Beastie Boys music. Musically correct but with a twist of humour hidden behind it. Also would say the same about Tenacious D.

I should have finished the album by the weekend so will get something up Saturday/Sunday.