You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Spoiler alert - I have seen ZBB near a dozen times.

Also Sweet Annie big soft spot. Jus Sayin'

So I'm guessing you're a fan? Just getting that kind of hint.

There's an album they did that Dave Grohl was involved in, I'd like to find out which one and give it a listen.

Looking forward to playing this loud tomorrow, got the day off so it'll defo get the treatment.

Never heard of the Zac Brown Band either, so it's completely new to me, but I do like a bit of country so yeh, looking forward to this. Nice one mate and thanks. Great synopsis too btw.

Thanks, hope you enjoy!!

https://open.spotify.com/album/50JEs25Ca52Q8lcAkuttuP

So just finished listening to Shooter's album, Uncaged by the Zac Brown Band and my initial thoughts ?

Well definitely not the sort of record I would ever usually listen to, the (intentional) Carribean / Florida Keysian summery lilt is most certainly present, sweeping you along like a warm breeze in songs like Jump Right In (Bob Seger meets Baywatch ?) and Island Song, but I was left hoping for a killer hook or chorus to reel me in, which sadly never came.

Well aware that the country genre of music has some phenomenal guitarists and musicians, the highlight of this record was for me the chicken pickin / fiddle sweeps of The Wind.

Paradoxically though, I found myself enjoying the slower songs the most; Sweet Annie, Goodbye In Her Eyes and Lance's Song, the slower pace and more spacious arrangements giving the musicians a chance to impress.

Substantially, I found myself irked by the production of Uncaged. Don't get me wrong, this record sounds killer, slick and expensive, lavish and luxy, but that's my problem with it, I would much rather have heard something considerably more raw and sweaty, jagged and alive. I can fully understand that the best way to appreciate ZBB would be in a live setting, in some small club with some spit and sawdust and copious amounts of Jack.

Would I add this record to my playlist ? No, definitely not, but would I listen to this or another ZBB record again ? Yes, no problem, especially if I was driving some beat down old pick up truck, somewhere sunny, window rolled down.

Big thumbs up from Philoe Beddow. Thanks Shooter.

Hoe

I’m not into that track at all, Shooter. The tune itself and the lyrics are a bit corny. And as I’m such a fickle cunt I’m not gonna bother listening to the rest.

Honesty is the best policy. I knew some may like it, some not. 

I can tell already i'm going to piss people off here.

Best to be honest, it's not like I recorded the album - I have a few of their albums as it's music I enjoy but it's not for everyone!

Christ this is moving fast. Can I have a recap of exactly what we do please? I get that I’m choosing an album and that I’ll be going second to last. However, can it be any album ever? Also, who reviews it and when? Everyone? Just the picker?

Christ this is moving fast. Can I have a recap of exactly what we do please? I get that I’m choosing an album and that I’ll be going second to last. However, can it be any album ever? Also, who reviews it and when? Everyone? Just the picker?

Pretty much Paul, you're free to choose whatever you want mate, just give some context about the record and why you've picked it / what it means to you.

It would be nice if we could all have a listen to and review each album, but no pressure on anyone to do so. Also anyone from outside the list of 9 is also welcome to post their review.

Hopefully we'll have a few more opinions over the next few days before it's Moof's turn to choose, early next week.

Hope that's ok everybody?

• Upvote 1

I’m not into that track at all, Shooter. The tune itself and the lyrics are a bit corny. And as I’m such a fickle cunt I’m not gonna bother listening to the rest.

The majority of the album has very little to do with that track - in fact that is one of the weaknesses of this record. Zac (read the record co) figured out he gets airplay with the Island/Country groove and in this - the third record - the juxtaposition between that sound (like 2 of the songs) and the rest is at its most extreme.

https://open.spotify.com/album/50JEs25Ca52Q8lcAkuttuP

So just finished listening to Shooter's album, Uncaged by the Zac Brown Band and my initial thoughts ?

Well definitely not the sort of record I would ever usually listen to, the (intentional) Carribean / Florida Keysian summery lilt is most certainly present, sweeping you along like a warm breeze in songs like Jump Right In (Bob Seger meets Baywatch ?) and Island Song, but I was left hoping for a killer hook or chorus to reel me in, which sadly never came.

Well aware that the country genre of music has some phenomenal guitarists and musicians, the highlight of this record was for me the chicken pickin / fiddle sweeps of The Wind.

Paradoxically though, I found myself enjoying the slower songs the most; Sweet Annie, Goodbye In Her Eyes and Lance's Song, the slower pace and more spacious arrangements giving the musicians a chance to impress.

Substantially, I found myself irked by the production of Uncaged. Don't get me wrong, this record sounds killer, slick and expensive, lavish and luxy, but that's my problem with it, I would much rather have heard something considerably more raw and sweaty, jagged and alive. I can fully understand that the best way to appreciate ZBB would be in a live setting, in some small club with some spit and sawdust and copious amounts of Jack.

Would I add this record to my playlist ? No, definitely not, but would I listen to this or another ZBB record again ? Yes, no problem, especially if I was driving some beat down old pick up truck, somewhere sunny, window rolled down.

Big thumbs up from Philoe Beddow. Thanks Shooter.

Fantastic review, very honest and thoughtful. Hopefully we get some albums on this thread that get some new fans listening to. Looking forward to the next set of tracks after any more reviews for this one.

So - big fan - the boys can truly play and sing and can work a crowd live. In fact they show some crazy influences throughout their shows - Metallica to Stevie Wonder to Van Halen to Charlie Daniels are covered among countless others. The nightly guitar duels are like a great open mic night.

That said this is not my favorite record. The Island/Country songs seem forced/calculated compared to the past.

The reggae break in Chicken Fried for instance is part of the fabric of the song - and the island feel of Toes is organic, pure Zac - a Georgia boy on the loose in Key West.

'Cause my bartender she's from the islands
Her body's been kissed by the sun
And coconut replaces the smell of the bar 
And I don't know if its her or the rum

The second record is a masterpiece but saddles the band with the success of Knee Deep - even though the strength of the album (and again the core of the sound) lies in the slow ballads like Colder Weather and As She's Walkin Away. But once you taste Jimmy Buffet level success it must be hard to turn away.

I think there was too conscious an effort on this record to create Island-centric singles and it shows - they are further removed from the bulk of the album here than ever before and it comes off as formulaic. "Let's write another hit" type stuff - which it was, at least Jump Right In got played to death that year -  but they were one of the biggest country crossover bands in the world so anything would have been a hit. So we have tunes like Sweet Annie pushed up against Island Song. Then you get Overnight, good tune but well out of their sweet spot next to Day That I Die which for me sounds like Zac.

Shooter - the track you are looking for off the Grohl Sessions is here:

OK, no pressure to start the ball rolling here. An eclectic interest in music makes it tough to choose a specific album to post up. I've tried to stay away from the albums that are likely to be already extremely well known - whether on here or commercially in the UK - and have narrowed it down to the following three - I have included all three in my description just in case anyone benefits from them (I will post a link to the final choice towards the end) :

Simian Mobile Disco - Temporary Pleasure - Personal Standout Track - Audacity of Huge

The album was recorded throughout 2008 and 2009 in the band's studio in East London by James Ford and Damon Albarn, the Blur frontman. Taking time during their world tour of DJing and performing live, they recorded with guests such as Beth Ditto (from Gossip) and Alexis Taylor (from Hot Chip). This was preceded by the release of a new single "Audacity of Huge" (featuring Chris Keating from Yeasayer) on 3 August 2009. Prior to its release, the band streamed a low quality version of the single on their official website from 22 May 2009.

The Vaccines - English Graffiti - Personal Standout Track - Miracle

English Graffiti is the third studio album by English rock band The Vaccines. It was produced by Dave Fridmann, with co-production from Cole M. Greif-Neill at Fridmann's New York studio.[1] The album was released on 25 May 2015 through Columbia Records and charted at #2 upon release.[2] The album marked the band's first release in two years, following the Melody Calling EP, and their first full studio album release in three, following Come of Age in 2012. Young stated that Fridmann was chosen due to both his track record in making "consistently fantastic records". The album runs 35 minutes and 14 seconds, making it The Vaccines' shortest album to date.

Zac Brown Band - Uncaged - Personal Standout Track - Jump Right In

Zac Brown called the album "Your basic country-Southern rock-bluegrass-reggae-jam record" saying "It's really about making people dance, you just don't let them go. There's a lot of songs on the record that when we play them live we'll extend out long. But it's really about just grabbing people in that pulse and then not letting them go that entire song."[4] Clay Cook said "This is first record that we’ve made from start to finish in one thought, the previous albums have been a collection of songs … this is an album."

It's quite tough to give one over to review as personally I enjoyed all three albums (The Vaccines album is short but sweet so easy to listen to), the dance album by Simian Mobile Disco has immense beats (personally I think they get overlooked in the Daft Punk dominated dance scene) and I would love to put it here - I'm probably going to regret not putting it here! 

However I am going to choose the album that I have the closest affinity with as a genre - Country. Country music when done right (not the lovey dovey stuff that sells by the bucketload) has an attitude and positive vibe that always puts a smile on my face and if I'm feeling a little down and blue will change this very quickly. This album is very easy to listen to for the most part and has, for me a great use of guitar chords to keep the listener interested, good use of strings and keyboards. It also has a good balance of rock, melody and some slower tracks and personally I think Zac Brown has a very good recording voice. The opening track (for me the standout track) I would imagine most have heard of as it's the most played song of theirs.

I'm very interested to know of any other good Country acts who can be recommended too.

So perhaps against better judgement, here for the listening crowd is the Zac Brown Band - Uncaged.

Link to all tracks on the album :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHbKlkvHqc&list=PL4xl0XXUuWYUCVxQGHcuHAuzxe-DJ0vS4

Its good this album. First few songs remind me of Kid Rock - Sweet Home Alabama strangely, with a bit of Kokomo in there. Well maybe thats not strange. Country music with a calypso feel to it.

Track 3 listening to Goodbye In her Eyes and I get dust in mine. How weird? Thats whats so fucking good about country music, they just speak facts. No metaphors or odd lyrics, just a story via music that everyone can relate too. 

Track 4 was ace as well, completely different to the tracks before. A bit 'Deliverance' at times but upbeat and a boss little animated video to go with it. Island song is just a "sit down drink that cocktail and fry" song. More Kokomo in it than the first one. 

Sweet Annie was beautiful. Added straight to my playlist that one. For when i'm feeling down. (Im a fucker for that, if i'm feeling down I don't put uplifting stuff on, I put depressing beautiful shit on and make myself worse). Couldn't find track 7 but track 8, Overnight followed on from Sweet Annie. Downbeat but beautiful all the same. 

Track 10, Day That I Die is the kind of song I think I could write myself at home if I learned to play the acoustic. 

Last song was ok, not as good as the rest of the album. 

Great shout mate thanks for introducing me too it. 

• Upvote 1

Just listened to ZBB again and curiously found myself enjoying a fair bit more this time around. Possibly because I wasn't being so analytical, instead just chilling out and allowing myself to become immersed by the music.

I must pass comment though on the backing vocals, whether just double and triple tracked by Zac himself, or by actual other singers, the precision, timing, mix and accuracy of these backing vox is frighteningly good.

Also cjecked out Howie's ZBB recomendation, Colder Weather, and really enjoyed that too.

Great start.

Its good this album. First few songs remind me of Kid Rock - Sweet Home Alabama strangely, with a bit of Kokomo in there. Well maybe thats not strange. Country music with a calypso feel to it.

Track 3 listening to Goodbye In her Eyes and I get dust in mine. How weird? Thats whats so fucking good about country music, they just speak facts. No metaphors or odd lyrics, just a story via music that everyone can relate too. 

Track 4 was ace as well, completely different to the tracks before. A bit 'Deliverance' at times but upbeat and a boss little animated video to go with it. Island song is just a "sit down drink that cocktail and fry" song. More Kokomo in it than the first one. 

Sweet Annie was beautiful. Added straight to my playlist that one. For when i'm feeling down. (Im a fucker for that, if i'm feeling down I don't put uplifting stuff on, I put depressing beautiful shit on and make myself worse). Couldn't find track 7 but track 8, Overnight followed on from Sweet Annie. Downbeat but beautiful all the same. 

Track 10, Day That I Die is the kind of song I think I could write myself at home if I learned to play the acoustic. 

Last song was ok, not as good as the rest of the album. 

Great shout mate thanks for introducing me too it. 

Great review and good to see that you have got at least one track to add to your list. Honest reviews - whether good or bad - should be what this thread is all about but most important to discover new music. Glad it helped!

Just listened to ZBB again and curiously found myself enjoying a fair bit more this time around. Possibly because I wasn't being so analytical, instead just chilling out and allowing myself to become immersed by the music.

I must pass comment though on the backing vocals, whether just double and triple tracked by Zac himself, or by actual other singers, the precision, timing, mix and accuracy of these backing vox is frighteningly good.

Also cjecked out Howie's ZBB recomendation, Colder Weather, and really enjoyed that too.

Great start.

That's great feedback, they are definitely a 'grower' band and I'm sure they supported Kings of Leon during some of their tours. KOL are definitely a 'grower' band too and I will definitely check out 'Colder Weather' as I don't have that yet.

Looking forward to the next album on this thread when that may come.

So - big fan - the boys can truly play and sing and can work a crowd live. In fact they show some crazy influences throughout their shows - Metallica to Stevie Wonder to Van Halen to Charlie Daniels are covered among countless others. The nightly guitar duels are like a great open mic night.

That said this is not my favorite record. The Island/Country songs seem forced/calculated compared to the past.

The reggae break in Chicken Fried for instance is part of the fabric of the song - and the island feel of Toes is organic, pure Zac - a Georgia boy on the loose in Key West.

'Cause my bartender she's from the islands

Her body's been kissed by the sun

And coconut replaces the smell of the bar 

And I don't know if its her or the rum

The second record is a masterpiece but saddles the band with the success of Knee Deep - even though the strength of the album (and again the core of the sound) lies in the slow ballads like Colder Weather and As She's Walkin Away. But once you taste Jimmy Buffet level success it must be hard to turn away.

I think there was too conscious an effort on this record to create Island-centric singles and it shows - they are further removed from the bulk of the album here than ever before and it comes off as formulaic. "Let's write another hit" type stuff - which it was, at least Jump Right In got played to death that year -  but they were one of the biggest country crossover bands in the world so anything would have been a hit. So we have tunes like Sweet Annie pushed up against Island Song. Then you get Overnight, good tune but well out of their sweet spot next to Day That I Die which for me sounds like Zac.

Shooter - the track you are looking for off the Grohl Sessions is here:

That's a great review, I am looking out for all ZBB albums I have I think three now plus the greatest hits but some of them hold their prices very well. I'm looking forward to completing the collection.

And that track being directed by Dave Grohl, just brilliant.