You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Wondering whether any of you cool cats might be up for putting together a small club to share and review music ?

Keeping the expense to a minimum, we could use Spotify or Youtube to review free online albums (pm me if you'd like a link to a free Spotify Premium acccount for Android devices).

Was thinking of around 10 of us, where 1 person would choose a record of the week to review / comment upon / debate and argue about, a different person choosing weekly. Favourite records, new stuff always good, something topical, anything really.

The GF is also really good in so much that there are a load of us with really diverse musical tastes, and it would be interesting to see others' reactions to an album which falls outside of their norm.

What say you ? If you fancy giving it a go then let it be known.

• Upvote 1

Rather hoped that you two lads would be up for this.

So that's 3 of us, any chance of a few more of you GF reprobates giving this a try ? Even if we ban Stig and his Oasis collection ?

Although I have over 20,000 tracks on my MP3 player they are probably all by artists that everyone would know about but I am always looking for new music to enjoy and there might be some that could be passed on to others. Count me in.

The ‘All band names beginning with O that had a number 1 album in the mid-nineties’ music review thread.

Sounds like a good idea this, Shep, but I’m a skipper. There are very few records I’ll listen to from start to finish more than once so I’m not qualified to take part. Ill be reading the thread from time to time though.

• Upvote 1

The ‘All band names beginning with O that had a number 1 album in the mid-nineties’ music review thread.

Sounds like a good idea this, Shep, but I’m a skipper. There are very few records I’ll listen to from start to finish more than once so I’m not qualified to take part. Ill be reading the thread from time to time though.

Anyone can participate / comment / review mate, but only those on the list can pick the albums / set list, stops it becoming too unweildy.

Ok, welcome aboard Howie, Chris, Damien and Paul, but enough is enough I think. The GF Music Collective consists of :

Shooter

Moof

Skids

Boss

General Dryness

Howie

Chevettehs

Stig

Paul

and me.

A nice round 9.

Unless anyone can suggest a better alternative, can we just go with that order ? Shooter being the first to choose his album for us all to listen to, Moof 2nd, Skids 3rd, down to me last?

For those choosing (Shooter this week), could you post (and if possible paste a link to) your album of the week, alongside a sentence or 2 about the album, band, era, what the album means to, just to give the rest of us a bit of context.

Also, are we all Spotified / Youtubed / Torrented up ? No good to anyone if we can't share and listen to the records. Drop me a pm anyone who'd like a Spotify Premium link.

And to those of you like Turdseye, who'd also like to post a review or opinion, please do, all welcome, the list is just of the people choosing the playlist.

So, without further ado, Shooter in the Motor, start your engines and post your choice. Reviews to follow over the coming week.

OK, no pressure to start the ball rolling here. An eclectic interest in music makes it tough to choose a specific album to post up. I've tried to stay away from the albums that are likely to be already extremely well known - whether on here or commercially in the UK - and have narrowed it down to the following three - I have included all three in my description just in case anyone benefits from them (I will post a link to the final choice towards the end) :

Simian Mobile Disco - Temporary Pleasure - Personal Standout Track - Audacity of Huge

The album was recorded throughout 2008 and 2009 in the band's studio in East London by James Ford and Damon Albarn, the Blur frontman. Taking time during their world tour of DJing and performing live, they recorded with guests such as Beth Ditto (from Gossip) and Alexis Taylor (from Hot Chip). This was preceded by the release of a new single "Audacity of Huge" (featuring Chris Keating from Yeasayer) on 3 August 2009. Prior to its release, the band streamed a low quality version of the single on their official website from 22 May 2009.

The Vaccines - English Graffiti - Personal Standout Track - Miracle

English Graffiti is the third studio album by English rock band The Vaccines. It was produced by Dave Fridmann, with co-production from Cole M. Greif-Neill at Fridmann's New York studio.[1] The album was released on 25 May 2015 through Columbia Records and charted at #2 upon release.[2] The album marked the band's first release in two years, following the Melody Calling EP, and their first full studio album release in three, following Come of Age in 2012. Young stated that Fridmann was chosen due to both his track record in making "consistently fantastic records". The album runs 35 minutes and 14 seconds, making it The Vaccines' shortest album to date.

Zac Brown Band - Uncaged - Personal Standout Track - Jump Right In

Zac Brown called the album "Your basic country-Southern rock-bluegrass-reggae-jam record" saying "It's really about making people dance, you just don't let them go. There's a lot of songs on the record that when we play them live we'll extend out long. But it's really about just grabbing people in that pulse and then not letting them go that entire song."[4] Clay Cook said "This is first record that we’ve made from start to finish in one thought, the previous albums have been a collection of songs … this is an album."

It's quite tough to give one over to review as personally I enjoyed all three albums (The Vaccines album is short but sweet so easy to listen to), the dance album by Simian Mobile Disco has immense beats (personally I think they get overlooked in the Daft Punk dominated dance scene) and I would love to put it here - I'm probably going to regret not putting it here! 

However I am going to choose the album that I have the closest affinity with as a genre - Country. Country music when done right (not the lovey dovey stuff that sells by the bucketload) has an attitude and positive vibe that always puts a smile on my face and if I'm feeling a little down and blue will change this very quickly. This album is very easy to listen to for the most part and has, for me a great use of guitar chords to keep the listener interested, good use of strings and keyboards. It also has a good balance of rock, melody and some slower tracks and personally I think Zac Brown has a very good recording voice. The opening track (for me the standout track) I would imagine most have heard of as it's the most played song of theirs.

I'm very interested to know of any other good Country acts who can be recommended too.

So perhaps against better judgement, here for the listening crowd is the Zac Brown Band - Uncaged.

Link to all tracks on the album :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxHbKlkvHqc&list=PL4xl0XXUuWYUCVxQGHcuHAuzxe-DJ0vS4

Looking forward to playing this loud tomorrow, got the day off so it'll defo get the treatment.

Never heard of the Zac Brown Band either, so it's completely new to me, but I do like a bit of country so yeh, looking forward to this. Nice one mate and thanks. Great synopsis too btw.