You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oddest Location / Situation to watch a sporting contest - live or on t.v.

sir roger

Watched the Germany 1 England 5 game in a campsite just outside Monaco, just myself and my mate and our two ladies...plus about 500 Germans, marvellous stuff.

That was the night I moved in with my wife. Had driven a Luton van with all my gear in up to Scotland.

She's expecting a romantic 1st night I watched the match got shitfaced I woke up at 8am the next morning on the couch.

She should have known there and then.

Pretended to have the shits so I could listen to end of the Liverpool Arsenal game on Valentines day about 15 years ago. We got a late winner from Luis Garcia I think, shits cleared up soon enough.

Hahaha the things you have to do to get a bird to let you watch the footy. Went to an exes dads in Nuneaton one weekend for his 50th. We had Utd in the cup at lunchtime and she got pissy in the car the night before when I asked if he would mind me sticking it on (The 50th party was the saturday night and she expected me to just sit in all day chatting shit with them) so the saturday morning I said i'm just going the shop to get a paper. Turned my phone off and went straight to the pub. Just before half time her dad strolls in, first thing he said was "ssshhh don't tell emma I'm in here" We both laughed our heads off, the women turned up about 75 minutes into the game and thankfully laughed about it. Well, my missus laughed until I nearly took her jaw off with my elbow celebrating when Kuyt scored the winner. 

There is one. Watching the game in Nuneaton. Cunt yard if ever there was one. 

• Upvote 1

Hahaha the things you have to do to get a bird to let you watch the footy. Went to an exes dads in Nuneaton one weekend for his 50th. We had Utd in the cup at lunchtime and she got pissy in the car the night before when I asked if he would mind me sticking it on (The 50th party was the saturday night and she expected me to just sit in all day chatting shit with them) so the saturday morning I said i'm just going the shop to get a paper. Turned my phone off and went straight to the pub. Just before half time her dad strolls in, first thing he said was "ssshhh don't tell emma I'm in here" We both laughed our heads off, the women turned up about 75 minutes into the game and thankfully laughed about it. Well, my missus laughed until I nearly took her jaw off with my elbow celebrating when Kuyt scored the winner. 

There is one. Watching the game in Nuneaton. Cunt yard if ever there was one.

My daughter was Christened that day, all the family pictures we have on the wall and I'm in none of the pics that day.

• Upvote 1

Hearts 0-1 Liverpool shit game and only thing I remember is Adam Morgan started it

I was in Las Vegas and my hotel I was stopping in, the cosmopolitan was randomly showing it in one of their sports/games bar. Me and an American lad ended up getting drunk

Also when we beat Man Utd 1-0 Sturridge. English pub in Orlando on international drive was playing it. Was pretty packed out tbf

• Upvote 1

Hearts 0-1 Liverpool shit game and only thing I remember is Adam Morgan started it

I was in Las Vegas and my hotel I was stopping in, the cosmopolitan was randomly showing it in one of their sports/games bar. Me and an American lad ended up getting drunk

Also when we beat Man Utd 1-0 Sturridge. English pub in Orlando on international drive was playing it. Was pretty packed out tbf

Know that pub, ex-pat clique. The Irish dump further up was better.

In January 2004 I was travelling round India and was in a city called Jaisalmer which is a small town inside an old fort about 100 miles from the Pakistan border. It was the first time I had eaten a curry in a hotel despite being there for two weeks and I had eaten all kinds from Street vendors.

Went back to my room and put the telly on to see us playing Spurs away. I spent the entire game shitting on the bog, spewing in the sink and lying on the bed sweating like the guy from Midnight Express watching the match. We got beat 2-1 and the only real notable thing I remember was Paul Jones playing in goal for us. I reckon I lost a stone that night.

• Upvote 1

On holiday in Majorca when we played Chelsea in the semi final of the FA Cup.

I'd scouted my venue the day before.  Down the road from the busy "football bars" where hundreds of British holidaymakers had gathered, I went downstairs to this little room in this empty restaurant place.  The owner served me and I took my pint down and watched it on my own.  Fantastic day.

I did something similar in 1988 when I went down to Wembley with a group of about 10/12 of us.  When we got in the ground, I went off and stood on my own, telling one lad I'd see them back at the car.  I like a pre-match pint and laugh, but I don't want to be stood with a load of drunken lads when it means too much to me.

I have a horrible story about my wife's labour and the Leverkusen game, but I'm too ashamed to share.

Honestly, I can't.  If I wrote it out on a website like this - one of devotion to Liverpool - it would be opening myself up to the slight risk of praise.

It's bad.

Sorry for mentioning it.

Lot of weather we've been having recently...

• Upvote 1

Honestly, I can't.  If I wrote it out on a website like this - one of devotion to Liverpool - it would be opening myself up to the slight risk of praise.

It's bad.

Sorry for mentioning it.

Lot of weather we've been having recently...

Quaid? 

Watched the rugby wold cup final in 1995 in Amsterdam, upside down in a hotel room with a mixture of royal marines and my other mates, playing spoof/forfit games, having to drink beer through 4 day old sweat laden socks, only braking out to leg down stairs bollocko to leg across the road and 'touch the lamp post' and leg it back, whilst also doing far too much white widow and lemmo. 

South Africa won, btw.  

Honeymoon in Barbados 2009.

Strolling along the beach one morning and found a bar advertising Liverpool v Villa at 11am (3pm uk)

Convinced the newly crowned Mrs to watch it. We went in, it was an enlclosed  place, much like an English pub, air con blasting and quite dark inside, could barely see anything but the screens showing the football, despite the sweltering heat outside.

To my surprise the place was packed with locals, full on Rastafarians, all wearing Liverpool shirts (mostly the white away shirt?) The place wentnuts when we scored- we won 3-0.

Strangely (worryingly?) when I went to order our first drinks the barman informed me the "guy in the corner" had paid for them........turns out he was the barman at our hotel and had noticed us walk in.

Suffice to say, got absolutely smashed and on re-entering the Barbados sun at approx 1pm I promptly fell over the small picket fence surrounding the bar.

My (very new and very understanding) wife managed to get me back to our hotel in one piece.

Oh how I love telling that story when people ask where we went on honeymoon

• Upvote 2

Liverpool 3-2 Wigan, 2008. Watched in an outside bar at Nairobi airport with a large group of Somalis, all of whom were mad reds. Each goal was greeted by much hugging and I was an adopted Somali for the afternoon.

England 0-0 Algeria, 2010 World Cup. Watched from the studio of a Vietnamese TV broadcaster, where I was the pre-match, half-time, full-time pundit. I predicted a 0-0 before the game and my hosts all laughed at my crazy English humour - they were all predicting England to win by 5 or 6 goals. I had acquired something approaching genius status come the final whistle.

• Upvote 4

England 0-0 Algeria, 2010 World Cup. Watched from the studio of a Vietnamese TV broadcaster, where I was the pre-match, half-time, full-time pundit. I predicted a 0-0 before the game and my hosts all laughed at my crazy English humour - they were all predicting England to win by 5 or 6 goals. I had acquired something approaching genius status come the final whistle.

Watched that game at a BBQ round my mates. Called it the same, said England were fucking shit apart from Gerrard and they wont win. Had to stifle my laughter at the end when Rooney was kicking off at the camera because some fella my mate knew had turned up, absolute head case just watching me for slagging his beloved England off. He ended up punching the wall and storming off.