You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oddest Location / Situation to watch a sporting contest - live or on t.v.

sir roger

Following on from my & Sammy Aftershave's reminiscences on the 'Pundits' thread , with me following the 1986 World Cup from a kitchen in a Bulgarian Hotel & Sammy watching the 1992  Euros in a Vietnamese hostel , I thought I might expand the subject ( Apologies if it has been done before - couldn't find anything )

The other odd tv viewing that comes to mind is my being in a guest house in Blackpool when the Mike Tyson v Michael Spinks fight was on during the night. The owner was not very happy but after I spent a fair bit in the residents bar he said I could sneak down & put the fight on in the lounge but with no volume. Set the alarm, groggily made my way down & got myself comfortable. Judging from the pictures there was some kerfuffle about gloves & the delay went on & on. You can guess the rest , the owner woke me up as he was starting to cook the breakfasts, and I ended up watching it all on the morning repeat which I could have done anyway with no effort..

• Upvote 1

Honeymoon. Just got married and went to Wales for a few days. Went out for a meal. Waiter came and asked if we wanted dessert. “No!” Mrs G a little perplexed, but I was clearly in a hurry. Got the bill and raced back to guesthouse - through some exciting, winding country roads it had to be said. Anyhow, we raced inside and I promptly sat down and turned on the TV. It was the Liverpool v Celtic game in the UEFA Cup.

Some might be unimpressed with my decidedly unromantic behaviour, but to be fair, it was the game where McManaman scored that goal where he dribbled past what seemed like loads of them, for much of the length of the pitch, and stuck it in the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

Mrs G has generally been supportive and/or understanding of my addiction since.

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

88 cup final.

In a trench on exercise with a little radio listening to the game, with the only fucking Wimbledon fan I ever met during my forces days. 

Travelling Australia and found an Irish bar in Cairns that was showing a re-run of the Liverpool/Utd game on at 11am on the Sunday morning. Got in there and sat at this small bar, place was empty just me and this hot Irish bird serving me beer. Couldn't have been happier in the build up to kick off. It was at old Trafford so I was a bit apprehensive but happy all the same. 5 minutes into the game this pissed up Aussie fella walked in, put his hand on my shoulder and went "I hope your a Liverpool fan mate coz they won 1 nil" 

I nearly chinned him. I then proceeded to get fucking hammered all day and night in there. Big hog roast outside, live music etc it was boss. Got woke up to go and dive the barrier reef the next morning with the worlds worst hangover. Ended up getting sea sick and couldn't move for the first 2 reefs and ended up having to get dragged into the sea for the last one. Only got half an hour in the water, the Great barrier Reef, once in a lifetime thing etc etc. Nice one Danny Murphy. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

You poor bastard 

I'll never forget the lad, Simon Brown. His father was high up in the Police in the big Smoke and was part of the team who brought down the Kray Twins. Simon married some Yank bird and now gets paid for sailing around the World for Britican. 

Watched Everton lose the Chelsea Cup Final in Zante in a bar full of Chelsea BNP types. Missed the start of the game, Everton were winning as soon as I came in Chelsea equalised. Lucky Mascot.

Hotel bar in Orlando on my own one afternoon watching us play Athletico, the game Keane scored.

Spent more time explaining the game to the barmaid. Should have gone to Wet n Wild instead.

Halkidiki when the Greeks won the Euros, pool bar, unbelievably hot and busy. Never seen people so happy. Lot of free ale too.

Owen Cup Final in Corfu, bar close as fuck to the sea. Had some smug southern prick sitting with us, said he was a Spurs fan and supporting us. When we equalised he got up, scrunched a piece of paper and stormed off. It was a betting slip with Arsenal 1-0.

After we won some Bluenose jokingly walked up to his neck in the sea still holding his pint. Said it was too much for him.

• Upvote 1

I'll never forget the lad, Simon Brown. His father was high up in the Police in the big Smoke and was part of the team who brought down the Kray Twins. Simon married some Yank bird and now gets paid for sailing around the World for Britican. 

Fair play to him 

Watched Everton lose the Chelsea Cup Final in Zante in a bar full of Chelsea BNP types. Missed the start of the game, Everton were winning as soon as I came in Chelsea equalised. Lucky Mascot.

ha I watched that game in a wetherspoons in southampton. I'd gone shopping with me bird at the time and she was taking ages so I said I'm going the pub for the cup final. Everton scored and I simply went "get in" and punched the air. Some fella walked over and asked if I was an Evertonian, I said no I'm a Liverpool fan. He then proceeded to stare at me like I was from fucking mars. In the end I had to explain that I don't hate Everton but I fucking HATE Chelsea. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Canada. Watched the 85 cup final when the Mancs beat the bitters 1-0. The TV station showing the game kept fucking off to adverts about funeral parlours whilst the game was on live. came back and it was 1-0 to the Mancs, Whitside had scored and it was the only goal in the game. Not that I was arsed like, too busy chatting up some bird who was real pretty but had a massive fucking arse. 

Guest Pistonbroke

One of the weirdest ones was on Guard duty in my last unit in Bielefeld in 89 for that Liverpool v Arsenal title decider. Listening to the radio just added to the tension as they have a penchant for getting you excited when there is not that much danger. One of the other lads was an Arsenal fan, a right soft cunt but also a fat curly haired cockney gobshite called Andy Stringer. It was around this time that the IRA had a lot of active cells in Germany and we had a live round loaded and ready at all times, he was lucky I didn't plug the fat cunt. 

Watching Northern Ireland beat England in an Irish bar in Paris was pretty odd. I actually had a ticket but booked a holiday by mistake... Rep Ireland were playing France at the exact same time, so it was packed out with French and Irish folk watching that game but they had the other game on a small screen behind the bar. I watching it by myself at the bar, squashed in, among singing French and Irish folk, right beside this sole English bloke in a suit who at one point snapped quite abruptly and unexpectedly at me when I shouted "Fuck off" after some foul or something.

• Upvote 1

Was on holiday in Lloret during the 2002 World Cup & along with my brother-in-law decided to take in the Ireland / Germany game in a local bar while the girls stayed at the beach.

Go to wander in to the bar and some over-officious 'bouncer' says he can't get in as he has no top on. Didn't want to walk all the way back to the apartments so we have a quick look around and in the next street there is a scuzzy market stall selling t-shirts so we scurry over and as we get closer we notice that it a children's clothes stall and unfortunately Tony is 6 foot 2 and quite hefty. Anyway he buys one with an anchor on it in a ' Large Boys' size for 1 euro and we both desperately try to get it over his head. Finally, with him looking like a cross between the Incredible Hulk & the gay hairdresser on Benidorm we saunter smugly past the fuming bouncer & people in the bar were pissing themselves at him the whole game.

My sister was not too impressed when we got back to the beach & he said he intended to wear it to the club that night.

ha I watched that game in a wetherspoons in southampton. I'd gone shopping with me bird at the time and she was taking ages so I said I'm going the pub for the cup final. Everton scored and I simply went "get in" and punched the air. Some fella walked over and asked if I was an Evertonian, I said no I'm a Liverpool fan. He then proceeded to stare at me like I was from fucking mars. In the end I had to explain that I don't hate Everton but I fucking HATE Chelsea.

Turned out one of the Chelsea fans was staying at our apartments with his missus and kids, seemed an ok bloke. Told me he was standing as a local councillor for the BNP in some Borough, got the impression he thought I'd be shocked, told him to get the ale in. Spoke to him for a few hours, no cross words just discussion. Disagreed with 99% of what he said but interesting to know their mindset, middle aged, middle class family man. You would not have had him down as BNP member in a million years.

Turned out one of the Chelsea fans was staying at our apartments with his missus and kids, seemed an ok bloke. Told me he was standing as a local councillor for the BNP in some Borough, got the impression he thought I'd be shocked, told him to get the ale in. Spoke to him for a few hours, no cross words just discussion. Disagreed with 99% of what he said but interesting to know their mindset, middle aged, middle class family man. You would not have had him down as BNP member in a million years.

I keep well away from people like that on holiday. Very rare I meet people I actually like. I remember getting to Sharm El Sheikh, lovely hotel, got there late so went straight to bed. Woke up the next morning and the first thing I saw in the lobby was 2 couple, both the fellas had r*ngers shirts on. They were there all the time I was and every day they had fucking r*ngers shirts on. Ruined my holiday. 

I keep well away from people like that on holiday. Very rare I meet people I actually like. I remember getting to Sharm El Sheikh, lovely hotel, got there late so went straight to bed. Woke up the next morning and the first thing I saw in the lobby was 2 couple, both the fellas had r*ngers shirts on. They were there all the time I was and every day they had fucking r*ngers shirts on. Ruined my holiday.

Should have just walked around with your Crucifix out and crossed yourself every time you had a pint.

• Upvote 1

Was travelling in Brazil during the 2010 World Cup and wanted to keep an eye on some game, think it was England V USA. We were in staying in some town near Recife and there was no TV in our accommodation.

I slipped into where I remembered a different hostel to be on a nearby street and sat down in an armchair in the TV room to watch most of the first half. Some old lad came in and gave me a funny look and took his place on the sofa and after a while he warmed up and we talked about the game through pidgin Portuguese, English and gestures.

I wasn't wasting any more of my time watching the game beyond half-time so I shook hands and said good luck to my new pal. It was only out on the street that I found the hostel with its big shiny TV room two doors down and realised I'd just walked into some old lad's living room and sat in his armchair for an hour.

• Upvote 7

Should have just walked around with your Crucifix out and crossed yourself every time you had a pint.

Dickhead move and it got me a right blocking off the Mrs but we went in the hotel bar after we had been out in town getting pissed and as we walked past their table I fired an imaginary rifle at the ceiling. I heard one of their women ask if the others had seen it. None of them looked at me after that. I found it funny at the time. 

Dickhead move and it got me a right blocking off the Mrs but we went in the hotel bar after we had been out in town getting pissed and as we walked past their table I fired an imaginary rifle at the ceiling. I heard one of their women ask if the others had seen it. None of them looked at me after that. I found it funny at the time.

Funnily enough the place we stayed in Corfu in September had a few Scots in, this one fella mid 50's was a horrible loud cunt. Nicey nice till he had a pint. This night we decide to have a night cap at the bar, he's pissed as a fart, i'm pissed and never been to subtle. He is loud and mouthy with the Greek fella behind the bar, I'm talking to the barman and using tho odd Greek word so the Scot gets narky. Greek lad says to me my pronunciation was good for an Englishman, the Scot for some reason shouts out " I'm Scottish not English " I replied, " well you speak English, sort of " stormed off and left his drink.

Apologies to our Scots on here. He was a nob head wherever he was from.

Funnily enough the place we stayed in Corfu in September had a few Scots in, this one fella mid 50's was a horrible loud cunt. Nicey nice till he had a pint. This night we decide to have a night cap at the bar, he's pissed as a fart, i'm pissed and never been to subtle. He is loud and mouthy with the Greek fella behind the bar, I'm talking to the barman and using tho odd Greek word so the Scot gets narky. Greek lad says to me my pronunciation was good for an Englishman, the Scot for some reason shouts out " I'm Scottish not English " I replied, " well you speak English, sort of " stormed off and left his drink.

Apologies to our Scots on here. He was a nob head wherever he was from.

Hahaha. eejit

Guest Pistonbroke

When I'm streaming the match, I usually rest my tablet on the back of Tony's ma's head.

Spurs v Coventry final late 80's. Can't remember the exact year but I was knobbing this girl with massive tits from Hitchin. I remember back scuttling her whilst watching that game and her Landlady had gone shopping. (This was the same landlady who got my Christmas present mixed up and I unwrapped a big black dildo instead of the intended Vodka, nearly shit myself). Anyway, i pulled out to jizz on her back and missed, my jizz went all over the place. Spent the next 20 minutes cleaning up the mess before her landlady returned. This is also the girl who got me to handcuff her to her bed for a session, i was a Regimental Policeman at the time so got hold of handcuffs easy. Cuffed her to the bed, got her all hot and sticky and then fucked off down the Angels Reply for a few pints, ended up coming back pissed hours later and her hands were blue and wrists bloody. Goes without saying that she binned me. Fond memories of my younger days.