You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Maribor 0 (Nov 1 2017)

tlw content

mariborreport2.jpg

A good job, well done. Not too dissimilar to Huddersfield but much more convincing overall I thought. For one thing we didn’t need a gift for the opening goal this time and everything we got from this game was earned. The second half display was very good. The first half, not so much. 

Beating them 7-0 last time made this one much more difficult though. Usually we have to contend with teams who are playing for a draw, or if they’re really ambitious, might harbour some slight aspirations of hitting us on the break and sneaking a win. Maribor had no such lofty thoughts. They’d accepted a defeat before kick off and the only thing in their minds was to try to keep the score down. 

They had eleven men behind the ball at virtually all times and most of them were in their own penalty area. It’s tough to break that down and in the first half we never really looked likely to. The keeper made one good save when he tipped a deflected Firmino effort onto the bar, and in a few other promising situations they defended very well. 

We were much better after the break though and had little trouble breaking their resistance once we stepped up the pace. The more games we have like this - and the more we win - the better we should become at it. 

It’s the single biggest challenge we face. Being able to beat these shithouse teams who only want to sit back and make it difficult really is the key to success, because that’s the type of opponent we face more than any other, especially at Anfield. 

Our goals against column at home is as impressive as the away goals against column is embarrassing. It’s not because we defend better at home, it’s because we rarely have to defend because no fucker actually tries to attack us at Anfield. Karius had one shot to save, and credit it to him for dealing with it as routinely as he did because it must have come as an almighty shock. 

To win two of these type of games in the space of a few days, by an aggregate of 6-0, is encouraging. Not least because we did it without Coutinho, Mané and Lallana. All three should be back soon, so obviously that helps. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

I thought Can was poor other than the goal. He gave the ball away a lot and his creativity left a lot to be desired. I like the way Chamberlain hasn’t let his head go down. He hasn’t had the best start and he hasn’t started games he should have but every time he’s played he’s looking sharp and taking risks. Whenever he gives the ball away he’s like a machine trying to get back.

Moreno or Salah was my star man. In terms of the fans I think Moreno has still got that weight around his neck from all the previous poor performances he’s put in. It’s going to take him a season of not one single fuck up before people give him credit. I think that’s unreasonable but I think the lad is too daft to actually give a shit what anybody thinks. He’s smashed it this season so far and I hope it continues.

• Upvote 1

Alexander-Arnold or Salah for me. Had that chat in the car back, mate went for Can.

Wish someone got hold of Chamberlain and told him to watch Salah's movement for when he's the far post man.  He holds back a bit much, needs to get in the defender's heads by attacking the far post more.  Doesn't matter if he doesn't get the chance, doesn't matter if he misses, gets the defenders looking around more and sometimes that's enough to get someone else some space.

Thought he did all right overall, building himself up gradually, learning his teammates (him and Moreno need to work on their interplay a bit more).

• Upvote 1

Matip was rubbish. Not quite Lovren levels but getting there. He's gone to shit this year.

Complete nonsense that I’m guessing is based on that stupid lazy pass he tried to do early on which he gave away and led to nothing. We barely conceded a a chance all game. I honestly don’t know how you can walk away from that game saying any of the defenders were rubbish. Mainly because they had absolutely fuck all to do. Baffling.

Never seen Fast & Furious, would rather gouge out my own eyes that watch any of those movies. Not even the Rock's presence can save them.

You just don't like the name because you hate big Emre and always have.

Haters gonna hate. Big Sexy gonna be big and sexy.

• Upvote 1

Given most of my insight into how the team are playing comes from the relevant match thread, it was telling how calm Anfield was at half-time. Never mind the hysteria. A few tweaks at the break based on what had been observed in the first half and all would be well. And so it proved. Who would've thunk?

Lordy, the defending though. There was one moment midway through the second half when Matip and (I think) Moreno decided each other had the control of the situation and Maribor's forward, who had come on for the second half to huge acclaim from their fans in the manner afforded to an Erik Meijer-style cult carthorse, was allowed slip through a gap which shouldn't have existed. A few plays later and Matip found himself in a similar situation under the Main Stand and put his foot through the ball. Lesson learned, but why hasn't he learned it in previous games? And by 'previous games', I mean, 'his entire fecking career'?

I'm being overly negative. The contrast with the last time the Reds were in the Champions League group stages was stark. Then it took a last-minute fluky goal from Balotelli to squeak past Ludogerets (who I note, apropos of nothing, are currently top of their Europa League group), the Maribor of the group. This was much more authoritative stuff and it would be churlish to knock that. At the end of the day though, the whole experience was clouded by the expense of it. I don't know what I expected - probably that a game against the Ludogerets of the group would be 'reasonable'. But I let out a gasp when I saw the price of the ticket. I was in town on Tuesday and agonised for ages over a nerdy purchase that came in at two-thirds of what the Maribor ticket cost, and that's before you factor in travel to the ground. All told, the match cost my wife and me about £130. Utterly insane. I've seen the Reds 102 times at Anfield - yes, I have counted - and until the prices drop, I think I'm done. Which means I'm done. The daft thing is I'm part of the problem. The reason they can get away with charging that much is because day-trippers like myself will treat such an expense as an annual treat. In future though, not for me. Until the little man gets to the point where he wants to sample the Liverpool experience. Shit is fucked up.

• Upvote 1

Given most of my insight into how the team are playing comes from the relevant match thread, it was telling how calm Anfield was at half-time. Never mind the hysteria. A few tweaks at the break based on what had been observed in the first half and all would be well. And so it proved. Who would've thunk?

Lordy, the defending though. There was one moment midway through the second half when Matip and (I think) Moreno decided each other had the control of the situation and Maribor's forward, who had come on for the second half to huge acclaim from their fans in the manner afforded to an Erik Meijer-style cult carthorse, was allowed slip through a gap which shouldn't have existed. A few plays later and Matip found himself in a similar situation under the Main Stand and put his foot through the ball. Lesson learned, but why hasn't he learned it in previous games? And by 'previous games', I mean, 'his entire fecking career'?

I'm being overly negative. The contrast with the last time the Reds were in the Champions League group stages was stark. Then it took a last-minute fluky goal from Balotelli to squeak past Ludogerets (who I note, apropos of nothing, are currently top of their Europa League group), the Maribor of the group. This was much more authoritative stuff and it would be churlish to knock that. At the end of the day though, the whole experience was clouded by the expense of it. I don't know what I expected - probably that a game against the Ludogerets of the group would be 'reasonable'. But I let out a gasp when I saw the price of the ticket. I was in town on Tuesday and agonised for ages over a nerdy purchase that came in at two-thirds of what the Maribor ticket cost, and that's before you factor in travel to the ground. All told, the match cost my wife and me about £130. Utterly insane. I've seen the Reds 102 times at Anfield - yes, I have counted - and until the prices drop, I think I'm done. Which means I'm done. The daft thing is I'm part of the problem. The reason they can get away with charging that much is because day-trippers like myself will treat such an expense as an annual treat. In future though, not for me. Until the little man gets to the point where he wants to sample the Liverpool experience. Shit is fucked up.

It was Can not Moreno, doing his usual asinine stuff in the defensive 3rd.

• Upvote 1