You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Huddersfield 0 (Oct 28 2017)

tlw content

huddersfieldreport1.jpg

Isn’t it amazing the difference a goal makes? Especially to this fair weather team. That first half was wretched and demoralising. We looked like we didn’t have a clue how to break them down and to add insult to injury we couldn’t even score from the penalty spot. Nobody wanted to take any risks and it was just pass pass pass pass in front of Huddersfield’s eleven man defence.

It was abject, and this was the last thing we needed after our recent run of Premier League results. The mood inside Anfield was bubbling under and there was even a spattering of boos on the half time whistle. That’s not helpful of course, but this sense of frustration and desperation just seems to get worse every year.

Klopp and others put it down to us continually harping back to the past when we were successful, but I disagree. This lack of faith and feeling of despair many of us are feeling is nothing to do with us being great in the 80s. It's a result of the continual let downs and false dawns we’ve suffered over more recent years. It takes its toll in the end.

Personally speaking, not winning the title in 2014 changed me completely. The heartbreak and disappointment from that is still raw even now, it's not something I'll ever get over. Things were made even worse when we blew that Europa League Final against Sevilla and it's things like that (plus all the previous disappointments) causing fans to feel the way they do. 

Hell, we haven’t been top of the tree for almost 30 years. Many of our fans don’t even remember how that felt, so that’s not why people are reacting the way they are now. They remember the pain of 2014, that night in Basel and numerous other punches to the face we've endured.

It’s all of the near misses and years of treading water that has turned us into the disillusioned, twitchy bunch of basket cases we’ve become. We over react to the good because we’re so desperate to be successful again, and we over react to the bad because we’re emotionally scarred after so many years of under achievement. 

You should have seen the state of me at haIf time. Frustration and disillusionment had completely gotten the better of me. I bumped into a mate in the concourse under the Main Stand and spent ten minutes absolutely laying into anyone and everyone. Mostly it was Sturridge though. And more specifically, Klopp for selecting him in the first place. 

That looks stupid now given how the second half played out, but I just didn’t see the point in picking him, not if it meant playing Firmino out wide. I was pissed off when I saw the starting eleven as it just feels like the same mistakes are being made over and over again. At what point will enough be enough, Jurgen? Players under perform but don’t pay a price for it, I just don't get it. He's given them far more chances than they deserve. 

If Sturridge was picked instead of Firmino, different story, I could see the logic in that. Sturridge and Firmino though, with Firmino on the left wing? How many times do we need to see that before Klopp realises it doesn’t work? What had Sturridge done to justify a starting place? What has Firmino ever done out wide to make him a better option than the £40m winger we signed in the summer to cover this exact eventuality (when Mané and/or Coutinho were unavailable)? 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

I actually wasn't, not by full time anyway. Half time was a different story.

I'm relieved as much as anything. 

If it was the other way round do you think the match report would be different?  

Say we had blazed into a 3-0 lead and then taken our foot off the gas second half, would we be talking along the lines of "great performance and then the players understandably eased off"?

That's not a criticism, I just think it's interesting that the weight of expectation is on the first half performance.

I couldn't believe when Lovren and Mignolet were originally in the starting line up, how the fuck could they be picked after the utter shambles from last week. I know managers have a habit of picking the same side after a shit performance but that's usually because they're a great side and because it's a one off so they pick them again to put things right.

But this I just didn't get I mean how many chances can you give to the same clowns who make the same mistakes week in week out.Saturday means three points and nothing more as Wagner's Huddersfield weren't interested in attacking in any shape of form, I hope Klopp becomes best mates with with every other premier league manager if that was anything to go by.

Dave, you'll be glad to know that Klopp has said that if the same eleven are on the pitch next time we get a pen then it should be Sturridge to take it.

Obviously Milner missing one out of about a dozen means he's no good at them anymore.

Is that true? Utter madness if true. I was out during the game, checked my phone at half time and assumed Milner wasn't on the pitch and Bobby had cocked it up.

I wouldn't be keen to see Sturridge take one at all, hardly ever seen him do it! In a shoot out I think but he doesn't usually step up. All very strange.

As Klopp reckons he doesn't listen or read the media I think we all need to write him a personal letter! I like him a lot but he is so blinkered at times.

• Upvote 1

When we win it's all academic, the whole club feels like its been treading water since G&H came and nothing much has changed, I hoped it would but it hasn't. 

Everything about the club is average, average quality, average mentality, just average. We've got no spirit or balls at all. 

Put it this way, if you had Pannini stickers of our players you'd give them all away. 

• Upvote 3

"Hell, I’d have put that chance away".

Dear Jurgen. 

I am one of the privileged few who have witnessed first hand Dave's phenomenal footballing prowess and can confirm he could indeed have put that chance away. He might have needed an hour or so to get that far up the pitch, and another couple of hours to get back, but you should definitely consider him as first choice for starting the next game.

rb14 x

• Upvote 3

Is that true? Utter madness if true. I was out during the game, checked my phone at half time and assumed Milner wasn't on the pitch and Bobby had cocked it up.

I wouldn't be keen to see Sturridge take one at all, hardly ever seen him do it! In a shoot out I think but he doesn't usually step up. All very strange.

As Klopp reckons he doesn't listen or read the media I think we all need to write him a personal letter! I like him a lot but he is so blinkered at times.

I can think of the unconvincing one he just about scored against United in the Europa League and his derby pen that he ballooned.

It was this article I took that from... http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mohamed-salah-already-lost-new-13828502

Asked if Salah is now the penalty taker, Klopp added: “I’m not sure that he is anymore… I think Daniel would have been a safe number in this group of players.”

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

Dave, you'll be glad to know that Klopp has said that if the same eleven are on the pitch next time we get a pen then it should be Sturridge to take it.

Obviously Milner missing one out of about a dozen means he's no good at them anymore.

I think the reasoning is that Milner (wrong or right, wrong IMO) is not a regular starter. Klopp probably pencils in Salah as one of his first players. Still strange that he would turn to Salah and not give the penalty duties to Bobby. 

What we can take from it is that Milner will not be a regular starter unless we have a lot of injuries. 

I think the reasoning is that Milner (wrong or right, wrong IMO) is not a regular starter. Klopp probably pencils in Salah as one of his first players. Still strange that he would turn to Salah and not give the penalty duties to Bobby. 

Sturridge isn't  a regular starter either though.  It doesn't make much sense to me.

Guest Pistonbroke

Sturridge isn't  a regular starter either though.  It doesn't make much sense to me.

I wouldn't read to much into Klopp's statement mate, he said "Daniel would have been a safe number in this group of players." As in those available at the time and not the regular penalty taker. It makes sense to have a regular player taking your penalties, being as they don't come a long that often we'll probably see them getting shared about until a player slots 2 or three away and makes it impossible for him to be taken off those duties. Klopp maybe thought Salah was that player (probably slots them away for fun in training) but it obviously backfired.