You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: A difficult beginning but a transfer gamble worth taking - by Jason Harris

tlw content

The biggest clue was him doing fuck all for seven years at one of the most televised clubs in the world.

It's crystal clear the manager doesn't rate him either.  You don't pay 40m for a player and then move players all over the shop to avoid starting said player when you're hit by injuries.

• Upvote 1

The biggest clue was him doing fuck all for seven years at one of the most televised clubs in the world.

It's crystal clear the manager doesn't rate him either.  You don't pay 40m for a player and then move players all over the shop to avoid starting said player when you're hit by injuries.

I would have thought it'd be easier not to pay 40m for him if he didn't rate him...

I think we have to give AOC every chance. He looked incisive yesterday, where apart from Milner, we looked completely devoid of ideas in midfield in the first half. I’d like to see him replace one of the invisible trio in mf for a run of games. As utility players go, he’s not a bad option. My only frustration with buying him is that we really needed to focus on other areas of the pitch first.

• Upvote 4

Fucking hell.

Why's that unbelievable?  It wouldn't be the first time this set up have lumbered the manager with players he didn't want.   Firmino being one example who actually ended up working out in our favour when the manager's player was shit and bombed out to Palace.

Why's that unbelievable?  It wouldn't be the first time this set up have lumbered the manager with players he didn't want.   Firmino being one example who actually ended up working out in our favour when the manager's player was shit and bombed out to Palace.

OK, for the last time.  Because Klopp has on more than one occasion said that he has the ultimate say-so on who comes in.  He can veto players he doesn't want.  Now you might feel he's the latest in a long line of shrinking violets/patsies/lying managers who do the owners' bidding, but I don't buy into that.  Not at all.  But if it keeps the fires of hate burning for you, go for it.  I just think it's idiotic.

OK, for the last time. Because Klopp has on more than one occasion said that he has the ultimate say-so on who comes in. He can veto players he doesn't want. Now you might feel he's the latest in a long line of shrinking violets/patsies/lying managers who do the owners' bidding, but I don't buy into that. Not at all. But if it keeps the fires of hate burning for you, go for it. I just think it's idiotic.

And if they come to him with options of oxocube or no one?

And if they come to him with options of oxocube or no one?

Well, for one, I don't think that would ever be a realistic scenario, because when you're waving 40 big ones around there will be a few players who automatically come into the frame.  And I'm sure FSG haven't insisted that we get a replacement - even positionally - in for Coutinho in while telling Barcelona to do one.  

Sometimes Grinch you have to park your distrust and hatred of all things FSG and just think about it logically.  You wither have to take Klopp on face value, as he's always insisted you should, or you have to think he's deliberately lying and going against the principles he has set out on more than one occasion just to protect FSG from flak from the fans.  

I think AOC was entirely Klopp's decision, and while I think it was a strange purchase when we have other priorities, perhaps it was an issue of timing - Klopp likes him, he can play in a number of positions, and he was available - whereas had we not gone in for him, he wasn't going to be available next transfer window or whenever it might be when we find ourselves a but light in the forward 6 positions. 

We have to give AOC a chance to succeed,  He arrival brings additional quality to the squad. I hope our youngsters who are doing so well in internationals may get a few run outs this season too.

• Upvote 1

Why's that unbelievable? It wouldn't be the first time this set up have lumbered the manager with players he didn't want. Firmino being one example who actually ended up working out in our favour when the manager's player was shit and bombed out to Palace.

Ok, klopp had nothing to do with Mane and Sala either

Well, for one, I don't think that would ever be a realistic scenario, because when you're waving 40 big ones around there will be a few players who automatically come into the frame. And I'm sure FSG haven't insisted that we get a replacement - even positionally - in for Coutinho in while telling Barcelona to do one.

Sometimes Grinch you have to park your distrust and hatred of all things FSG and just think about it logically. You wither have to take Klopp on face value, as he's always insisted you should, or you have to think he's deliberately lying and going against the principles he has set out on more than one occasion just to protect FSG from flak from the fans.

I think AOC was entirely Klopp's decision, and while I think it was a strange purchase when we have other priorities, perhaps it was an issue of timing - Klopp likes him, he can play in a number of positions, and he was available - whereas had we not gone in for him, he wasn't going to be available next transfer window or whenever it might be when we find ourselves a but light in the forward 6 positions.

We have to give AOC a chance to succeed, He arrival brings additional quality to the squad. I hope our youngsters who are doing so well in internationals may get a few run outs this season too.

Fair dues, I disagree entirely but that's just the way she goes.
  • Upvote 1

Far too early to write him off,he's hardly played and needs a good run of games.hecan only be a positive to the overall squad.time will tell but give the lad a chance I say.

probably need to tell that to klopp seeing as with all our injuries he still won’t play him.

Its only a gamble worth taking if the rest of the team is sorted.

Fact is , that £40 mill should have been spent on the backline, said it at the end of the window, say it again now and il say it again at the end of the season i believe.

The only people who really believe it was a gamble worth taking are the owners who will hope its another player they can make money on.

Its only a gamble worth taking if the rest of the team is sorted.

Fact is , that £40 mill should have been spent on the backline, said it at the end of the window, say it again now and il say it again at the end of the season i believe.

The only people who really believe it was a gamble worth taking are the owners who will hope its another player they can make money on.

Difficult to see how you can make money on a 40 million transfer on a player not getting any younger and still with a lot to prove.