You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stranger Things

Rick Sanchez C-137

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's supposed to be tongue in cheek isn't it? The Russian bloke was basically a take on Schwarzenegger.  I don't think any of this is supposed to be realistic.

More like a Russian division. Tongue in cheek, yes but I'm done with it.

1 minute ago, DalyanPete said:

More like a Russian division. Tongue in cheek, yes but I'm done with it.

Fair enough.

The way I see the show though is that it's people roughly my age (40s) having a nostalgia wank.

The show is everything about America I loved as a kid (even though I'd never been). Big houses, kids on bikes with walkie talkies, high school. 

But then there's the music and films and cultural references thrown in, and Russian villains would have been one of those references. The idea of giving them a base under a shopping mall where Ghostbusters and back to the future are showing at the pictures is just pure piss taking fun on their part I suspect.

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Fair enough.

The way I see the show though is that it's people roughly my age (40s) having a nostalgia wank.

The show is everything about America I loved as a kid (even though I'd never been). Big houses, kids on bikes with walkie talkies, high school. 

But then there's the music and films and cultural references thrown in, and Russian villains would have been one of those references. The idea of giving them a base under a shopping mall where Ghostbusters and back to the future are showing at the pictures is just pure piss taking fun on their part I suspect.

I admire your commitment brother. Age could well play a part.

Spoilers coming...

For me, episode 7 was much more suited to a season finale, big reveal on the Vecna character and how he came to be. The fact that there were two more episodes to follow suggested that the bad guy gets defeated at the end, that doesn't happen so I question why episode 7 wasn't the season ender, leave on a big wtf moment and leave the rest for season 5.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

You and Dalyan Pete got knocked back from a D&D group as kids didn’t you? 

D&D wasn't a thing around my way.

I'm a geek, flat out glued to computers since i was about 10. Building computers with my Dad at 11. And I really like Stranger Things overall. I just think it's diminishing returns at this point.

I think season 4 overall was excellent but feel a bit let down by the last episode. It's not terrible or anything but my word does it drag on and on. You could easily have condensed the last episode into 1.5 hours. Lots of crap they could have left out and sped up some other scenes which would have made the episode more enjoyable for me.

Overall, a huge improvement over the last season though. We now have an interesting and well defined villain as opposed to that pointless blob called the "Mind Flayer" and season 3 became a farce with the endless comedy and cheesy Terminator reference to one of the Russia baddies. 

Season 4 is much more serious, scarier and interesting.

My mam used to love this and we used to watch it together when I went round her's, after work on a Thursday. Now that my ma is no longer with us, I've been putting off watching season 4, but I'm currently halfway through episode 2, so some thoughts...

These "kids" are fucking annoying, I mean really fucking annoying, and they've all really fucking aged.

I'd like to boot flabby piglet Dusty's teeth right down his fucking throat.

That prissy fucking virgin queen Nancy, is still as annoying as ever and she's looking as rough as toast here.

The episodes are far too long.

Winona Ryder is shite, Hopper is utter shite, the rest of the cunts are ugly, annoying, flabby, shitty shite.

To their credit, they all do this shite really fucking well.

Sick of this shite / 10.

On 03/07/2022 at 11:46, Elite said:

I'm of the same mine. The episode 7 finale was better than the actual finale. Overall though, the best season since the first.

For me as well.

That said, I enjoyed it.

7 of 10

Compared to some of the unwatchable garbage on TV, that quality four seasons in (and an improvement on S03 IMO) will keep me watching.

That last episode looked and sounded absolutely boss on my tele and through my speakers. 
Definitely the best thing I’ve watched since I bought the lot. 

Mrs TheBitch was fast a fucking sleep while I was ducking and diving around the couch because the sound was so incredible then woke up right at the end asking what happened and also claiming she really enjoyed it while also asking who was dead. 

God I love that woman. 

I’m gonna buy a sub to add to my set up and watch it all again. 

Superb stuff. 

15 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

My mam used to love this and we used to watch it together when I went round her's, after work on a Thursday. Now that my ma is no longer with us, I've been putting off watching season 4, but I'm currently halfway through episode 2, so some thoughts...

These "kids" are fucking annoying, I mean really fucking annoying, and they've all really fucking aged.

I'd like to boot flabby piglet Dusty's teeth right down his fucking throat.

That prissy fucking virgin queen Nancy, is still as annoying as ever and she's looking as rough as toast here.

The episodes are far too long.

Winona Ryder is shite, Hopper is utter shite, the rest of the cunts are ugly, annoying, flabby, shitty shite.

To their credit, they all do this shite really fucking well.

Sick of this shite / 10.

And I thought it was just me.

Episode 3

They've cut Eleven's balls off. Nancy is utterly hateful, I absolutely despise the cunt.

The Vecna stuff is completely lifted from Hellraiser 2 and the Kenneth Cranham super-Cenobyte / doctor character, "Ah good, a fight"

Hopper, Ryder, and the rest of these by the numbers formulaic gimps can FOAD too.

Another shameless "franchise".

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Episode 3

They've cut Eleven's balls off. Nancy is utterly hateful, I absolutely despise the cunt.

The Vecna stuff is completely lifted from Hellraiser 2 and the Kenneth Cranham super-Cenobyte / doctor character, "Ah good, a fight"

Hopper, Ryder, and the rest of these by the numbers formulaic gimps can FOAD too.

Another shameless "franchise".

Yea, Nancy is a bellend. The Skelator lookalike cunt.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed it overall.  Probably could have had a fair chunk of the last two cut out & I’m not sure what happened to the army dude who wanted El dead.  

Shame they killed off Eddie. Great character and the true (metal) heart of the show this year.   

Despite its length still one of the better shows this year & nice to get Kate Bush and Metallica into the charts again. 

12 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The Vecna stuff is completely lifted from Hellraiser 2

All of it is lifted from elsewhere, by design.

Be interesting to see if they genre switch between seasons 4 and 5 or keep the 80's horror theme.

20 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

All of it is lifted from elsewhere, by design.

Be interesting to see if they genre switch between seasons 4 and 5 or keep the 80's horror theme.

Yeah it's all homage.

Also, all these folks dissing Nancy I hope you've got your blue badges on display on your dashboards.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah it's all homage.

Also, all these folks dissing Nancy I hope you've got your blue badges on display on your dashboards.

Just on Nancy and perhaps I need to rewatch but the first couple of episodes I thought she looked a lot older in the face (I get they are all getting older) but this was quite noticeable, I checked and in real life she's 25 but I thought she looked older than that.

Towards the end though I didn't notice as much, either i just got used to it or perhaps they did some reshoots of earlier scenes here and there, let's not forget this was delayed massively and any reshoots could have been over a year apart.