You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stranger Things

Rick Sanchez C-137

31 minutes ago, Elite said:

That finale was brilliant.

And it wasn't even the finale, still two episodes to go.

Spoilers coming..

I really enjoyed the end of episode 7, they way they revealed the origins of Vecna was very well done imo.

One of the best parts for me was the one shot shootout scene at the Byers House, the direction of that was brilliant, like something out of a blockbuster action movie, goes to show how far television has evolved over the last 15 years or so.

I presume Vecna created what we see in the Upside Down. Seeing as time is stuck at the precise moment 11 sent him  there and opened the first rift. I reckon its a dimension which reflects the mind of whoever is in it, and because he's a fuck up the whole place is fucked up. 

18 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I presume Vecna created what we see in the Upside Down. Seeing as time is stuck at the precise moment 11 sent him  there and opened the first rift. I reckon its a dimension which reflects the mind of whoever is in it, and because he's a fuck up the whole place is fucked up. 

Thank Christ eleven wasn't in any of those hospitals that Jimmy Saville used to visit.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Not sure on that, I might be wrong but in the flashback scenes at Hawkins Lab shown in season four including 11 creating the portal in the last episode, the year was 1979, Season 1 was set in 1983 which is the year the upside-down appears to be stuck in.

• Upvote 1

It'll cycle back to Will at some point and he'll end up being the key to why the upside down is stuck at the point he escaped/was saved.

Was Will the first to be taken or is there reference to other disappearances in season 1?

It'd be cliched to have some sort of sacrifice arc where everyone thinks 11 can save the day but Will has to die

I've recently been watching old classic movies with my son, mostly films from the 80' and 90's, stuff I really liked at the time

Anyway the other night we watched Predator, he knew nothing about it going into it, I've seen it numerous times but not for a few years. He loved it but he also picked up that the name of the leader of the team that Arnie and his crew are in the jungle to find is called Jim Hopper, Shane Black's character is called Hawkins and there is also a character called Billy (bit of a stretch that one).

He was made up with that, asking me if it was just a coincidence, I assume it isn't and that the Duffers were fans of the film.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the last two episodes were far too long, very indulgent, style over substance & just pretty dull.

Where they ended it a few weeks ago was much better.

If they make any more of these, I'll be giving it a miss.

SPOILER ALERT

Felt waaaay too easy to defeat him while it was happening, and then finding out he's still there and somehow even more present in Hawkins now feels like all of season 4, split into 2 parts with HUGE episodes, has led us to the midpoint of a season plot wise. Disappointed. Not a good 4 hours of a finale.

33 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Swimming against the tide but that's me done after 2 episodes of S4.

S3 just about did me in. Russians on US soil, explosions all over the place and the only military response is a kid with a catapult.

They kinda jumped the shark, which is a strange term to use admittedly given the show is Sci fi, but they stretched the "kids against the world" as far as it can go.

I still like the show overall, they've just watered down my love for season 1 quite a bit.

19 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

stretched the "kids against the world" as far as it can go.

Not wrong there mate. S1 was an interesting concept but it just became a poor man's American Horror story for me. That sister did my fuckin nuts in.

It's bad enough that you get unfinished games with huge post release patches that aim to fix what wasn't working, don't let it creep into TV shows.

What's the first show that's going to be so behind schedule that you end up with frames of Pre-Viz rather than fully composited effects.

5 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's bad enough that you get unfinished games with huge post release patches that aim to fix what wasn't working, don't let it creep into TV shows.

What's the first show that's going to be so behind schedule that you end up with frames of Pre-Viz rather than fully composited effects.

Yea, horrendous planning, that is. Am I fuck watching 4 hours again just to see if the effects are different somewhere along the way. Especially as the plot was the problem, not the effects.

7 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Swimming against the tide but that's me done after 2 episodes of S4.

S3 just about did me in. Russians on US soil, explosions all over the place and the only military response is a kid with a catapult.

It's supposed to be tongue in cheek isn't it? The Russian bloke was basically a take on Schwarzenegger.  I don't think any of this is supposed to be realistic.

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

Disappointed with the ending but really enjoyed the series. 

I'm of the same mine. The episode 7 finale was better than the actual finale. Overall though, the best season since the first.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's supposed to be tongue in cheek isn't it? The Russian bloke was basically a take on Schwarzenegger.  I don't think any of this is supposed to be realistic.

I watched an interview with the Duffer brothers who said season three was their take on a classic 80s summer blockbuster, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, E.T. etc… and I think they got it spot on. 

I really enjoyed this last season anyway and the last two episodes were good. Obviously a few gripes about the pacing and so on but overall one of the most enjoyable programmes of the year. 

• Upvote 5

15 hours ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Yea, horrendous planning, that is. Am I fuck watching 4 hours again just to see if the effects are different somewhere along the way. Especially as the plot was the problem, not the effects.

You and Dalyan Pete got knocked back from a D&D group as kids didn’t you? 

• Upvote 3