You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

At what point do we lose our shit?

Gym Beglin

Stop lying.

You voted that you thought we would finish as champions:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/topic/111386-the-league-201718-where-will-we-finish/

Just like you proclaimed in May/June 2016 that we'd win the following season.

PS - what do you mean, “Proclaimed?” I offered a throwaway prediction on some boring fellas thread. It was hardly a herald gushing forth a poignant proclamation.

And since you are bothering me at the moment, let me point out your powers of prediction. I note that in the past you said that you think either Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea might win the league. Well knock me down with a feather! You picked the three richest teams in the league who win the title year in year out, apart from Leicester sized anomalies, and apart from going back over a decade to when Arsenal were good.

I’ll take a leaf out of your prediction book and have a stab at next year’s boat race. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think either Oxford or Cambridge will win it. If it happens I’ll be sure to come back and gloat.

• Upvote 1

Needs more than that for me and that is without factoring in the loss of Coutinho and anyone else.

You’re probably right. I wouldn’t say no to a prolific striker and a better keeper too.

Still, on the season so far, I’d like to think that the two players mentioned would have turned at least two or three of the draws into wins and then were right in the mix. By the time Keita comes (and who knows what will happen with VVD) I fear Coutinho will be off.

Rev's lost his shit.

I think I may have.

I don’t like smarmy people, especially when they try to come across as intellectuals and rudely dismiss others as deluded, telling them they can’t take them seriously for the crime of offering a viewpoint on their dull and unoriginal thread.

Where will we finish? It used to be a bit of fun to engage in that sort of thing - I think back to the hands in the bucket thread with great joy, for example. But Captain and his depressive ilk make being a red hard work at times.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

But Captain and his depressive ilk make being a red hard work at times.

Every club has its waste mate. It was ever so back in the 70's before the internet, they just have a platform to regurgitate their bollocks these days. 

You’re probably right. I wouldn’t say no to a prolific striker and a better keeper too.

Still, on the season so far, I’d like to think that the two players mentioned would have turned at least two or three of the draws into wins and then were right in the mix. By the time Keita comes (and who knows what will happen with VVD) I fear Coutinho will be off.

Adding those two to this season would no doubt see us in better shape so far, yeah.

Over the next two windows securing VVD, a keeper and a goalscorer for my money need to be absolute priorities - then of course it is a question of how we spend the Coutinho money and hopefully don't lose Mane.

To answer the thread title, we don’t!

There has only been one team who were better than us this season. It’s fine margins but thus far we’ve not been getting the points the displays have deserved. We need to be patient and it will come. If we looked like a load of rubbish then there would be loads more cause for concern, but we don’t look too bad to me.

I wasn’t expecting to win the title before the season started and I’m still not. I was expecting a fight to get in the top four, and that’s where we still are. Six teams expect to finish top four. Two will miss out. It’s up to us to finish on the right side of that.

Keita and VVD added to this group would give us a title challenge.

This.

People are acting like we're on this huge downward trajectory and anyone with a positive opinion of our future is a head-in-the-sand FSG apologist.

The truth is that we're good.  Not great, not even very good, but just good.  For all the whinging about our recruitment (and not buying a CB this summer was a pretty big mistake, I'll admit) we are finally targeting top players and buying one or two every summer (Salah & Mane the last two summers, both bought for far less than our rivals spent on lesser players).

Plus we have the absolute perfect manager for our club.  Honestly, there are some of you who won't be satisfied unless we are bought by crooked zillionaires who want to spend 100m per summer on the latest fad player.  And while I certainly wouldn't complain if that happened, because it's the only way we're likely to win the title in the next decade, we probably already have the next best thing.

Just because we have a run of results where we dominate and things don't go our way is no reason to throw everything out of the pram.  We're not any better than Spurs/United/Chelsea, but we're equal to all of them and I think we're on the way up rather than down.  Just don't understand why you'd pick now to get all dramatic and whiny about the club.

• Upvote 6

I see the superfans are out in force again!

Keep fiddling whilst Rome burns lads.

Yeah, the pessimism from the likes of me and Funnneeeee doesn't help the situation, but neither does your happy clappy everything is great shit!

You lot need to get your heads out of the sand just as much as the likes of me need to cheer the fuck up

The problem is that the fanbase's mindset is "title or bust". No one gave a fuck about finishing 4th and playing in the CL, and cups have been rendered meaningless. As a result, any sort of bad run of form which seperates us from the top creates this depression and distorts the fact that the future looks objectively decent. 

Just chill and enjoy watching the matches one by one, is what I say.

• Upvote 3

I think I may have.

I don’t like smarmy people, especially when they try to come across as intellectuals and rudely dismiss others as deluded, telling them they can’t take them seriously for the crime of offering a viewpoint on their dull and unoriginal thread.

Where will we finish? It used to be a bit of fun to engage in that sort of thing - I think back to the hands in the bucket thread with great joy, for example. But Captain and his depressive ilk make being a red hard work at times.

it's what happens Rev when the lunatics are running the asylum.

With a little bit more luck and a bit more ruthlessness this team is capable of going on a huge winning run, put it this way if we’re having our blip now like we did in January last year I’d rather it be now and peak over Christmas and the run in than lose momentum after starting like we did last season. We haven’t had a disastrous start by all means and we’re still in and around the teams we’re meant to be.

Thanks for pulling me up on it. Obviously the sneering tit thing rankles and you’ve been biding your time. For the record, here’s what I said in the thread you quoted:

Where will we finish type of threads are usually treated as a bit of fun, but obviously with the forensics coming out months later people like you take the fun out of it.

My post is there for all to see. I voted Champions, saying I’d feel a lot better about that with VVD and Keita. As it happened we signed neither for this season.

Anything as low as sixth is possible. There are six good teams vying for top four and in all likelihood we will fall short of a title challenge but must battle to finish top four and build on it.

You weirdo stalker.

Call down lightning bolts from the Big Cheese, Padre. Damn his eternal stalking soul to hell.

PS - what do you mean, “Proclaimed?” I offered a throwaway prediction on some boring fellas thread. It was hardly a herald gushing forth a poignant proclamation.

And since you are bothering me at the moment, let me point out your powers of prediction. I note that in the past you said that you think either Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea might win the league. Well knock me down with a feather! You picked the three richest teams in the league who win the title year in year out, apart from Leicester sized anomalies, and apart from going back over a decade to when Arsenal were good.

I’ll take a leaf out of your prediction book and have a stab at next year’s boat race. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that I think either Oxford or Cambridge will win it. If it happens I’ll be sure to come back and gloat.

He's been on the altar wine. It's enough to make me take up going to mass again!