You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny

Lestat

Wasn’t Evra/Ferguson’s argument that he said it 10 times, pejoratively? When the reality was something completely innocuous.

Still rankles how Suárez got stitched up in that whole affair.

I think he got stitched up, too.  But he admitted using the word, pejoratively or not.  He was fucked from then on.

• Upvote 2

It was a completely anodyne phrase that was wilfully misunderstood by every two bit cunt with an opinion. The FA were a disgrace, and, if I remember correctly, rejected the testimony from the Spanish language experts.

It’s pissing me off just thinking about it. Useless fucking incompetent wankers.

It was a completely anodyne phrase that was wilfully misunderstood by every two bit cunt with an opinion. The FA were a disgrace, and, if I remember correctly, rejected the testimony from the Spanish language experts.

It’s pissing me off just thinking about it. Useless fucking incompetent wankers.

Hang on though, it did give us this

This has been done over and over but the Western world has moved on a bit since 2012. Any kind of reference to a non-white person's skin colour, while not explicitly violently racist, acts as an emotional dogwhistle that is an unfair advantage white players can use over non-white players at any time. In a similar vein, asking a player who had lost their child "how's your kid?" would be totally unsuitable, regardless of the innocence of the statement. The disparity in sentences to Suarez and Terry grate as a Liverpool fan, but there is a bigger picture here. 

This has been done over and over but the Western world has moved on a bit since 2012. Any kind of reference to a non-white person's skin colour, while not explicitly violently racist, acts as an emotional dogwhistle that is an unfair advantage white players can use over non-white players at any time. In a similar vein, asking a player who had lost their child "how's your kid?" would be totally unsuitable, regardless of the innocence of the statement. The disparity in sentences to Suarez and Terry grate as a Liverpool fan, but there is a bigger picture here. 

But that isn't similar. Which cultures would this be acceptable in? Which cultures is this the norm? 

If you ignore cultural differences and context when discussing racism then you're left with positions like the FA's. The pretence of giving a fuck from rich, white, middle class men telling a lad from Salto what is and isn't racism.

But that isn't similar. Which cultures would this be acceptable in? Which cultures is this the norm?

If you ignore cultural differences and context when discussing racism then you're left with positions like the FA's. The pretence of giving a fuck from rich, white, middle class men telling a lad from Salto what is and isn't racism.

Is it possible to do the right things for the wrong reasons? The criticisms of the FA are on point and initially I was against these decision based on their track record and thinking cultural context mattered. The truth is, though, that cultural context is a slippery slope and the more leniency you give a bunch of rich 20 something male egos the more license they will take. We would all love a more nuanced world where words didn't have the power to hurt and everything was kept in context at all times but sadly that is not the world we live in.

Is it possible to do the right things for the wrong reasons? The criticisms of the FA are on point and initially I was against these decision based on their track record and thinking cultural context mattered. The truth is, though, that cultural context is a slippery slope and the more leniency you give a bunch of rich 20 something male egos the more license they will take. We would all love a more nuanced world where words didn't have the power to hurt and everything was kept in context at all times but sadly that is not the world we live in.

Of course it is. But I'm not convinced it'll have as much positive impact as actually trying to develop a slightly more nuanced view across the country. In fact, I'm simply not convinced the right things were done.

None of the bigoted cunts in this country have learned anything. They haven't become less racist.

Other countries are considerably more racist than the UK. But very few take such a tediously context free view on the subject. I guess because we have quite the history of being a bit of a cunt of a country, and that delving deeper into this could be quite problematic in terms of the possible changes people might want in society. That's why we (those with any power, be it in football or wider society) take a pretend zero tolerance policy on racism. It isn't zero tolerance. It's zero context. Zero scrutiny. Zero discussion. 

John Barnes was fucking brilliant at the time. He knew what was going on. 

Risible nonsense.

Why do you always seem to want to pick arguments with me? Quite strange really, but I would say Brexit and years of a particularly nasty Tory government show how a good section of the English population are stupid and ignorant and people in authority particularly so. Nothing risible or nonsensical at all.

Why do you always seem to want to pick arguments with me? Quite strange really, but I would say Brexit and years of a particularly nasty Tory government show how a good section of the English population are stupid and ignorant and people in authority particularly so. Nothing risible or nonsensical at all.

I would have said it to anybody casting such ridiculously inaccurate aspersions, it’s nothing personal. Just because people disagree with your - and mine in this case - world view, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid or ignorant. I know lots of very nice, intelligent people who vote Tory or voted Brexit. That’s not evidence of anything. I just have an issue with people judging many millions of people based of an accident of birth.

And honestly Vlad, I’ve always quite liked you. It’s nothing personal.

• Upvote 1

I would have said it to anybody casting such ridiculously inaccurate aspersions, it’s nothing personal. Just because people disagree with your - and mine in this case - world view, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid or ignorant. I know lots of very nice, intelligent people who vote Tory or voted Brexit. That’s not evidence of anything. I just have an issue with people judging many millions of people based of an accident of birth.

And honestly Vlad, I’ve always quite liked you. It’s nothing personal.

I wish you'd have said that originall rather than a rico-esque two word reply. I still do believe that a good chunk of our population are ignorant and stupid,particularly those in authority positions,but we will beg to differ in this case then.

Hugs and kisses.

I wish you'd have said that originall rather than a rico-esque two word reply. I still do believe that a good chunk of our population are ignorant and stupid,particularly those in authority positions,but we will beg to differ in this case then.

Hugs and kisses.

We definitely do disagree. I’ve travelled extensively, and the Brits are genuinely some of the nicest, funniest, most welcoming, intelligent people I’ve ever met. It took me seeing the rest of the world and their population to see just how much that’s true.

My response may have been a bit ‘Rico’ but your wide ranging insults to millions was a bit Toothian in tone, insofar as it didn’t leave much room for discourse!

We definitely do disagree. I’ve travelled extensively, and the Brits are genuinely some of the nicest, funniest, most welcoming, intelligent people I’ve ever met. It took me seeing the rest of the world and their population to see just how much that’s true.

My response may have been a bit ‘Rico’ but your wide ranging insults to millions was a bit Toothian in tone, insofar as it didn’t leave much room for discourse!

I obviously dont mean everybody as all countries have their fair share of ignoramuses and dullards but I think this country is increasing its quota by the minute. Authority figures, such as the FA and their blazer brigade are a particularly nasty example of wannabe empire builders.