You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kenny

Lestat

Never knew Kenny as a player due to my age but him being appointed manager after getting rid of that clown was one of the most exciting moments of my Liverpool supporting life. The aura of the man was special, his disinterest and contempt for the press was just brilliant. Fucking legend.

Your date of birth isn't an excuse. Get on YouTube and/or buy some DVDs.

Yeah, you're not a real Liverpool fan until you get on Youtube and appreciate his greatness.  It's absolutely staggering that you've never taken the time to do this. While you're on there, educate yourself and watch some Billy Liddell too because your ignorance is unbelievable. Stop making excuses, it's disgusting. 

Yeah, you're not a real Liverpool fan until you get on Youtube and appreciate his greatness.  It's absolutely staggering that you've never taken the time to do this. While you're on there, educate yourself and watch some Billy Liddell too because your ignorance is unbelievable. Stop making excuses, it's disgusting.

Elisha Scott would walk into the current team

Kenny was so strong for a relatively small man, so many examples of him just putting himself between the ball and the opponent to protect it and it was like he was raising a deflector shield. The opponent just seemed to bounce away, like they didn't expect him to be as strong as he was.

It's fairly obvious to me that Steven Gerrard must have been massively influenced by him as a player and we could do with more players who look at him and think "I want to be like him".

I'm sure I even remember Luis Suarez referencing him when he first joined, wouldn't surprise me at all if he had studied Kenny's handling of a football.

A true legend of the game, let alone his club.

The fucking media are just so far up every aspect of those fucking manc bastards arses it is unreal....fucking daily mirror journo already getting in the justification for the vermin acting up on Saturday.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/kenny-dalglish-can-expect-hostile-11320300

Twats the fucking lot of them and they wonder why circulation of papers in general is dropping like a stone

Your date of birth isn't an excuse. Get on YouTube and/or buy some DVDs.

Ah of course I've seen some of the great goals, the dink in 1978 CL final is exquisite. But these highlights are without context and you can't get a real feel for a player way before your time. For me Suarez all round games was at his most breathtaking when he first arrived and couldn't hit a barn door. The way he used to swivel and turn and dribble past players was ridiculous, I'd never seen a player play like . That element of his game was slightly lost and he became a goal scorer supreme.

Outside of Liverpool though his talents are often well overlooked

I was going to post the same, until I saw yours. Always felt he didn't and still doesn't get the credit as an all time great outside the club.

Always adored the man, what he did as a player and person for our club is immeasurable.

Kenny talking sense. Again.

Feels like most on here will disagree with him though...

Klopp will bring Liverpool trophies - but supporters need to be patient

Dalglish is bullish about Liverpool's future with Klopp at the helm

James Pearce

22:30, 12 OCT 2017

Kenny Dalglish insists Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will bring silverware to Anfield - but says supporters need to be patient.

The Kop legend, whose immense contribution to the club will be recognised on Friday with the official renaming of the Centenary Stand in his honour, believes it’s unrealistic to think that the Reds will ever dominate English football again like they did in the 1980s.

However, Dalglish, who led Liverpool to their last top-flight title in 1990, is bullish about the future with Klopp at the helm.

The Reds go into Saturday’s Premier League clash with arch rivals Manchester United in need of a boost after slipping seven points behind Jose Mourinho’s side.

“I think they’re alright. I think they have the perfect guy for the football club,” Dalglish said.

“I know it’s very difficult for people to keep hearing: ‘Maybe a bit of luck here, a bit of luck there’, but everybody who has been successful has needed a bit of luck and it’s not bad luck.

“Everyone who has won something has had some good fortune at some stage in the season. Maybe we have got all that to come.

“In all the matches I’ve seen this season they’ve certainly done enough to win. If the players believe in themselves, they will certainly turn it around. There is nothing better than starting that on Saturday.”

Klopp has yet to win a trophy at Liverpool but Dalglish cited the four years Sir Alex Ferguson needed at Old Trafford before he lifted the FA Cup in 1990. An era of dominance followed.

The Premier League is now more competitive than ever with the financial might of the ‘big six’.

“Fergie never did it in the 80s,” Dalglish said.

“They allowed him some grace and I am sure they are delighted they did. They never lived to regret it.

“I think it is society: if you want to know something you go on your phone and type the question and within 30 seconds you have the answer.

“People are used to the instant answer or solution but it doesn’t work in football. A wee bit of patience doesn’t go amiss for anyone who wants to be successful.

“I don’t think anybody will go back to that time of having such success like we did in the 80s. I don’t think any club will ever be that dominant. There are so many of them now that have access to finance that can help them out.

“If you buy well enough and spend well enough then you can compete. You don’t have to do it in one transfer window, it may take four or five, but no matter. It took Fergie a long time to do it at Man U so I don’t see what the impatience is about at other places.”

The perception is that United are currently in a much stronger position than Liverpool because they fared better in terms of addressing their issues in the transfer market last summer. In particular Klopp has come in for criticism for his failure to sign a centre-back.

“There is a question mark over how you define ‘addressed’,” Dalglish added.

“Do you just buy someone and bring him in even though he is not better than what you have got? I don’t think that is the right way to go. Until you can get someone better than what you have got, you have to go with what you have.

“They went out and bought (Romelu) Lukaku for a lot of money. We don’t need a forward. They went out and bought (Nemanja) Matic. I don’t think we needed anyone in there, really.

“We played Man City. They had a back five that cost £210million. But they had to put five in at the Etihad. Then they took Otamendi off and put Mangala on. Mangala is more expensive than Otamendi!

"I don’t think - unless there is someone there - you should spend money just for the sake of it. It doesn’t prove anything.”

Last season’s showdown at Anfield was a dour draw but Dalglish is convinced that Saturday will provide greater entertainment.

“Jose came to set his stall out to go home with no goals against which is perfectly acceptable and the game never got off the ground,” he said.

“I think it will be different this year, I think it will be a really good game. They’re stronger going forward than they were last year. Saturday will be an improvement.”

• Upvote 5

Still maintain it was Evra that pulled out of the "handshake" and not Suarez.

Of course he did. Not even up for debate in my mind. Best player to wear the shirt in years. Ferguson couldn't let that go unpunished so he orchestrated the whole thing.

I've got no problem with a bit of gamesmanship, but the depths that whisky faced cunt sank to at times were nothing short of despicable. Ably aided and abetted by the media.

• Upvote 1

Kenny talking sense. Again.

Feels like most on here will disagree with him though...

Klopp will bring Liverpool trophies - but supporters need to be patient

Dalglish is bullish about Liverpool's future with Klopp at the helm

James Pearce

22:30, 12 OCT 2017

Kenny Dalglish insists Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will bring silverware to Anfield - but says supporters need to be patient.

The Kop legend, whose immense contribution to the club will be recognised on Friday with the official renaming of the Centenary Stand in his honour, believes it’s unrealistic to think that the Reds will ever dominate English football again like they did in the 1980s.

However, Dalglish, who led Liverpool to their last top-flight title in 1990, is bullish about the future with Klopp at the helm.

The Reds go into Saturday’s Premier League clash with arch rivals Manchester United in need of a boost after slipping seven points behind Jose Mourinho’s side.

“I think they’re alright. I think they have the perfect guy for the football club,” Dalglish said.

“I know it’s very difficult for people to keep hearing: ‘Maybe a bit of luck here, a bit of luck there’, but everybody who has been successful has needed a bit of luck and it’s not bad luck.

“Everyone who has won something has had some good fortune at some stage in the season. Maybe we have got all that to come.

“In all the matches I’ve seen this season they’ve certainly done enough to win. If the players believe in themselves, they will certainly turn it around. There is nothing better than starting that on Saturday.”

Klopp has yet to win a trophy at Liverpool but Dalglish cited the four years Sir Alex Ferguson needed at Old Trafford before he lifted the FA Cup in 1990. An era of dominance followed.

The Premier League is now more competitive than ever with the financial might of the ‘big six’.

“Fergie never did it in the 80s,” Dalglish said.

“They allowed him some grace and I am sure they are delighted they did. They never lived to regret it.

“I think it is society: if you want to know something you go on your phone and type the question and within 30 seconds you have the answer.

“People are used to the instant answer or solution but it doesn’t work in football. A wee bit of patience doesn’t go amiss for anyone who wants to be successful.

“I don’t think anybody will go back to that time of having such success like we did in the 80s. I don’t think any club will ever be that dominant. There are so many of them now that have access to finance that can help them out.

“If you buy well enough and spend well enough then you can compete. You don’t have to do it in one transfer window, it may take four or five, but no matter. It took Fergie a long time to do it at Man U so I don’t see what the impatience is about at other places.”

The perception is that United are currently in a much stronger position than Liverpool because they fared better in terms of addressing their issues in the transfer market last summer. In particular Klopp has come in for criticism for his failure to sign a centre-back.

“There is a question mark over how you define ‘addressed’,” Dalglish added.

“Do you just buy someone and bring him in even though he is not better than what you have got? I don’t think that is the right way to go. Until you can get someone better than what you have got, you have to go with what you have.

“They went out and bought (Romelu) Lukaku for a lot of money. We don’t need a forward. They went out and bought (Nemanja) Matic. I don’t think we needed anyone in there, really.

“We played Man City. They had a back five that cost £210million. But they had to put five in at the Etihad. Then they took Otamendi off and put Mangala on. Mangala is more expensive than Otamendi!

"I don’t think - unless there is someone there - you should spend money just for the sake of it. It doesn’t prove anything.”

Last season’s showdown at Anfield was a dour draw but Dalglish is convinced that Saturday will provide greater entertainment.

“Jose came to set his stall out to go home with no goals against which is perfectly acceptable and the game never got off the ground,” he said.

“I think it will be different this year, I think it will be a really good game. They’re stronger going forward than they were last year. Saturday will be an improvement.”

The only thing Kenny is wrong about there is Mourinho will still play for the 0-0 and if he can knick something off a set piece, breakaway then all the better.  Dour to watch but his side will mount another title challenge by being hard to beat by the few decent teams and dismantling the numerous amounts of shit in the league.

I too believe Klopp will win us Silverware,but it will simply be a domestic cup competition where other teams field weakened sides due to more prestigious competitions. We are only 2 to 3 first teamers short of being consistent top 4 performers,BUT the squad behing the first 12-13 players is built on sand and those players play like they are knee deep in it.

Kenny is wrong there. You don’t have to type on your phone - you can just speak. And you get the answer in much less than 30 seconds. Pfffftttt.

As for the football, the King is spot on. As a fan base we have veered far too much toward despair on the back of some draws that easily could and should have been wins. There’s only one game this season where we were not the better side. We haven’t quite got what we’ve needed to get from the games so far, but a bit of patience is in order. It will come.

• Upvote 2

I absolutely love Kenny Dalglish but I disagree with him massively on one point:-

We've needed a defensive midfielder since Mascherano left, I don't care how many managers disagree with me (or the vast majority of the fanbase), they're all fucking wrong. Matic would have been an absolutely brilliant signing for us.

• Upvote 2

Kenny calls for patience, something FSG did not afford him. Something that modern football doesn't allow, maybe the millions they pay managers explains a bit of that.

Bacon face simply wouldn't have been given the time in the modern game to build his side, the game has changed so much now. With the Oil and Oligarch cheats in football there's no level playing field anymore, with the SKY TV money transfer fees have just increased to negate that cash, ask Everton about that. The only winners are the agents and the major losers are the fans.

I'd be a lot more patient if I was not paying top money for the tickets. We charge more than any other team in the world,  outside of London and we are asked to be patient.

I love Kenny, probably as much as Liverpool FC. I agree we need to be patient but it's not very easy when you're being fleeced by the club, watching multi millionaires wander around the pitch and owners that are more interested in a commercial deal than a transfer deal.

The big problem is that football has not only accepted the greed, the cheating with unlimited funds but it has encouraged it. Other sports manage to try to level the playing field with wage caps and other rules but football remains corrupt and increasingly distancing itself from the fans.

The TV cash could have reduced season tickets to nearly nothing and still given the clubs a fortune to spend. But no, that cash is now channeled into agents pockets, buys supercars for players and fills owners bank accounts. Fuck football and fuck patience, I'm paying NOW money so I want it NOW!

About time we had a Bob and a Kenny Statue at Anfield too.