You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Matip the right man to fill the Defensive leader role - by Jason Harris

tlw content

Cool.

Maybe you just did the thing you did the other week when you were mixing up Lovren, the medium height, white man with the mixed race, lanky, tall Matip?

You sure you weren't watching somebody else?

I jest. Objectively he was pretty poor, even by his own standards, in that match. One thing I think we can surely agree on, though; he's not coming to Liverpool. If we can agree on that, we can probably agree that we don't need to talk too much about him.

Maybe you just did the thing you did the other week when you were mixing up Lovren, the medium height, white man with the mixed race, lanky, tall Matip?

You sure you weren't watching somebody else?

I jest. Objectively he was pretty poor, even by his own standards, in that match. One thing I think we can surely agree on, though; he's not coming to Liverpool. If we can agree on that, we can probably agree that we don't need to talk too much about him.

Happy to let the dig slide. Leicester Mercury gave him a six, and Whoscored rated him higher than any of their defenders. I think bar that one (albeit costly) mistake he was fine. He’s a very good defender who should improve still. I want to see us going for him at some stage.

Leicester Mercury gave him a six, and Whoscored rated him higher than any of their defenders. I think bar that one (albeit costly) mistake he was fine. He’s a very good defender who should improve still. I want to see us going for him at some stage.

I think you're going to be out of luck. He's the wrong type of defender for us and will be as exposed as Lovren or Klavan.

I think you're going to be out of luck. He's the wrong type of defender for us and will be as exposed as Lovren or Klavan.

Why? He’s very good on the ball, very good in the air, he looks strong too. He lacks pace... but as Hyypia showed, you can be a very good defender with little pace. He’s a better defender than both Klavan and Lovren, I also think he’s better than Matip, which you obviously disagree. Matip is probably the more talented player, but in the premier league he’s lacking the necessary aggression IMO.

That McGuire lad looks the pretty average typical British/Irish centre half and is nowhere near the quality we need to aspire to. Can we stop buying homegrown shite please. Haven't we learned our lesson yet?

By homegrown I mean UK and Ireland,not necessarily through the club,although that Academy system has been a resounding failure.

• Upvote 1

I refuse to believe that someone can watch the video I posted and think.. “what a donkey!”.

Why don't you post a video of any other match this year - you know one where he did not have the game of his life against a team that has scored 5 goals in 7 games - or even a team that has actually been in the Prem for more than 8 weeks.

Anything other than this tiny tin drum that you are constantly beating while bleating. This teeny tiny tinny drum.

• Upvote 1

Why don't you post a video of any other match this year - you know one where he did not have the game of his life against a team that has scored 5 goals in 7 games - or even a team that has actually been in the Prem for more than 8 weeks.

Anything other than this tiny tin drum that you are constantly beating while bleating. This teeny tiny tinny drum.

I’ve never seen Diego Costa bullied like he was against Maguire

https://youtu.be/dmv3hNuBwuE

Wait - this is the game where Costa scored and they lost 2-0?

Let me see if I can find the video where Everton trounced them 4-0 last year.

Actually the 6-1 loss to Bournemouth - looking for it now.

We smashed Southampton 6-1 and Van Dijk is probably the best centre half in the league.... etc