Quantcast
Matip the right man to fill the Defensive leader role - by Jason Harris - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tlw content

Matip the right man to fill the Defensive leader role - by Jason Harris

Just to the left of a Donkey.

His ability on the ball is very good... The way brings the ball out reminds me a little of them German liberos from the 90s. Did you watch the video I posted earlier?

You need to stop banging that drum.

Also It wasn’t me who brought Harry Maguire up in this thread.

His ability on the ball is very good... The way brings the ball out reminds me a little of them German liberos from the 90s. Did you watch the video I posted earlier?

Course he does, reminds me of the Dutch lad from the 70's Wum Van Pulderudderwan.

Course he does, reminds me of the Dutch lad from the 70's Wum Van Pulderudderwan.

Haha. I’m serious.. I’m talking Olaf Thon for example... when Schalke won the UEFA cup.

Haha. I’m serious.. I’m talking Olaf Thon for example... when Schalke won the UEFA cup.

He's decent on the ball, but like most of our current defenders found wanting elsewhere.

I would seriously consider a look at Joost Cleedabal of FC Thiridte in the Dutch 3rd division.

Like a cross between Rowdy and Jockey.

He's decent on the ball, but like most of our current defenders found wanting elsewhere.

I would seriously consider a look at Joost Cleedabal of FC Thiridte in the Dutch 3rd division.

Like a cross between Rowdy and Jockey.

You’re mistaking me for 3 Stacks. I only watch Premier League these days, and some CL games. I used to be a bit of a football nerd around about after Euro 96... but then I hit puberty.

You’re mistaking me for 3 Stacks. I only watch Premier League these days, and some CL games. I used to be a bit of a football nerd around about after Euro 96... but then I hit puberty.

3 Stacks is currently watching the Mongolian Super League before the winter break.

Here Murgo Yaksmilk is one to keep an eye on.

Maguire’s probably not good enough to improve us at the moment but he could be because he’s still quite young for a centre back but to call him a yard dog is unfair he’s very good on the ball and carries it through the lines quickly and forcefully, he’s nowhere near good enough to warrant the fee Leicester would probably now want considering he’s been in an England squad.

As for Matip playing DM, it can’t be any worse than what’s been going on there so far this season, the only time Henderson looks comfortable there is when we’re up against a team that sits so deep he can run to our own box unchallenged, take the ball off Lovren and give it to Matip, at least with Matip there you’d hope as a bare minimum we’d have someone there who is defensive minded first and foremost and can pass the ball 5 yards to Coutinho, Lallana or Can who can drive on with it.

Can is not a DM either, he’s at his best when he has space to drive into, he played excellent at the end of last season when he had license to go forward and he played very well when in a 2 the season we lost the two finals.

• Upvote 1

Why are people talking about him playing DM - misreading of the o.p?

Not sure why people started talking about him playing there, I was just giving my opinion on it.

Seriously!?

I have seen him play. He is not one of the top 10 CB's in the league for me. Good player but hardly ready for prime time - and as you point out his lack of pace suggests he may never be.

He's been poor this season, lack of confidence? He was much better last season. Might be better with a dominant CB alongside him? The idea that only VVD is an upgrade on our current CB's is preposterous.

We need two higher quality CB's as a minimum.

Why are people talking about him playing DM - misreading of the o.p?

Because having a 6'2 dominant black central midfielder has been on the top of every Reds Christmas list for the last 6 years.

• Upvote 1

If you looked up "Yard Dog" in the dictionary there'd be a picture of Mick Lyons (or "dirty" Denis Smith)

Or Ruddock and Dicks

I figured that.. but Maguire is anything but in my eyes. He’s more Hyypia than he is Henchoz in terms of ability on the ball.