You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Matip the right man to fill the Defensive leader role - by Jason Harris

tlw content

Haha. I’m serious.. I’m talking Olaf Thon for example... when Schalke won the UEFA cup.

He's decent on the ball, but like most of our current defenders found wanting elsewhere.

I would seriously consider a look at Joost Cleedabal of FC Thiridte in the Dutch 3rd division.

Like a cross between Rowdy and Jockey.

He's decent on the ball, but like most of our current defenders found wanting elsewhere.

I would seriously consider a look at Joost Cleedabal of FC Thiridte in the Dutch 3rd division.

Like a cross between Rowdy and Jockey.

You’re mistaking me for 3 Stacks. I only watch Premier League these days, and some CL games. I used to be a bit of a football nerd around about after Euro 96... but then I hit puberty.

You’re mistaking me for 3 Stacks. I only watch Premier League these days, and some CL games. I used to be a bit of a football nerd around about after Euro 96... but then I hit puberty.

3 Stacks is currently watching the Mongolian Super League before the winter break.

Here Murgo Yaksmilk is one to keep an eye on.

Maguire’s probably not good enough to improve us at the moment but he could be because he’s still quite young for a centre back but to call him a yard dog is unfair he’s very good on the ball and carries it through the lines quickly and forcefully, he’s nowhere near good enough to warrant the fee Leicester would probably now want considering he’s been in an England squad.

As for Matip playing DM, it can’t be any worse than what’s been going on there so far this season, the only time Henderson looks comfortable there is when we’re up against a team that sits so deep he can run to our own box unchallenged, take the ball off Lovren and give it to Matip, at least with Matip there you’d hope as a bare minimum we’d have someone there who is defensive minded first and foremost and can pass the ball 5 yards to Coutinho, Lallana or Can who can drive on with it.

Can is not a DM either, he’s at his best when he has space to drive into, he played excellent at the end of last season when he had license to go forward and he played very well when in a 2 the season we lost the two finals.

• Upvote 1

His ability on the ball is very good... The way brings the ball out reminds me a little of them German liberos from the 90s. Did you watch the video I posted earlier?

I have seen him play. He is not one of the top 10 CB's in the league for me. Good player but hardly ready for prime time - and as you point out his lack of pace suggests he may never be.