You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Las Vegas shooting

Rico1304

Six other mass shootings this week!

I think it is safe to assume that a majority of those at the actual concert itself, would be advocates for gun ownership! I wonder how many of them have altered their view or, simply gone out and bought another gun for 'protection'.

The lead singer has certainly changed his view on gun control.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/02/las-vegas-gun-control-caleb-keeter-josh-abbott-band

The lead singer has certainly changed his view on gun control.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/02/las-vegas-gun-control-caleb-keeter-josh-abbott-band

Just been reading that! 

Thankfully (or unfortunately?), not everyone gets to live through a mass shooting. We are all reading stats such as those posted above with open mouths - how on earth can you be so desensitised that you accept that as normal. 

I'm not sure - I think the object of Terrorism is to cause terror without an act, in your day to day life. I don't think that is the same - it is a literal use of the phrase. Terrorism isn't really. 

The only connection between lone-wolf attacks is access to guns. So, they are clearly not seen as part of anything bigger than that. As I say, 270 plus 'mass shootings' this year. I think the problem is when a white guy shoots a Church full of black people and they focus upon his 'mental' state and he isn't described as a terrorist when he clearly is. 

If there have been 270 mass shootings in the USA this year then the latest incident in Nevada is an act I would deem to cause terror in the day-to-day lives of ordinary US citizens, and therefore terrorism.  

The only reason the American press don't want to refer to this as a 'terrorist attack' is because it'll conflate what the word 'terrorist' means to the American people. Terrorists are brown, they are muslim, immigrant, illegal, they are the self-imagined bogey man that America is trying to keep out.

America can't foster terrorism from within. It's foreign cultures and foreign religions that indoctrinate, and distort the malleable minds of Americans and manipulate them towards their aims.

America is pure. America is the good trying to protect itself from the implacable evil at it's doorstep. To admit that their own people are capable of terrorism - without it being the fault of a political or religious ideology, would mean that their culture is in some way responsible for the attack. It would mean that the way they see themselves and the world around them would be false. That's too much of a Wizard of Oz curtain reveal for the masses to contemplate.

• Upvote 11

If there have been 270 mass shootings in the USA this year then the latest incident in Nevada is an act I would deem to cause terror in the day-to-day lives of ordinary US citizens, and therefore terrorism.  

I disagree. I don't think they do cause terror in the day-to-day lives of Americans - I can't see how this can be described as an act of terrorism. I don't think Dale Cregan was an act of terrorism - and his actions were probably more alike than this. 

I think the shooting of Jo Cox was an act of terrorism, but Dunblane wasn't. 

• Upvote 1

I disagree. I don't think they do cause terror in the day-to-day lives of Americans - I can't see how this can be described as an act of terrorism. I don't think Dale Cregan was an act of terrorism - and his actions were probably more alike than this. 

I think the shooting of Jo Cox was an act of terrorism, but Dunblane wasn't. 

Maybe they don't but they should?  If they're more likely to be gunned down by a compatriot than your typical foreign terrorist.  It's simple mathematics. 

Maybe they don't but they should?  If they're more likely to be gunned down by a compatriot than your typical foreign terrorist.  It's simple mathematics. 

Simple math!

They seem more concerned over the small chance that a plane could be hijacked, or a bomb could explode than the very really possibility that they get shot by someone. 

Even with this specific incident, there are dumb fucking rednecks on faceaids claiming if everyone there was packing heat, this wouldn't have happened. You can't even argue with that level of stupidity. Unfortunately, you can breed with it though.

From the footage I've seen, it looks like people don't even know where the bullets were coming from so you might've had a few hundred people just randomly shooting around in defence.

Which doesn't sound hugely sensible to me at a music festival.

Even if they did see the boy in the hotel room, you would have to be Clint Eastwood to take him out from that distance.

Ridiculous stuff.

• Upvote 1

From the footage I've seen, it looks like people don't even know where the bullets were coming from so you might've had a few hundred people just randomly shooting around in defence.

Which doesn't sound hugely sensible to me at a music festival.

Even if they did see the boy in the hotel room, you would have to be Clint Eastwood to take him out from that distance.

Ridiculous stuff.

You would need a sniper rifle and a marksman.

Even with this specific incident, there are dumb fucking rednecks on faceaids claiming if everyone there was packing heat, this wouldn't have happened. You can't even argue with that level of stupidity. Unfortunately, you can breed with it though.

The AR15 forum has this down (by some) as a Clinton sponsored attack on gun liberties. Not a single one of them has paused for thought that gun control might be appropriate.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Terrorist-Attack-Las-Vegas-Mandalay-Bay-hotel-59-dead-500-wounded-Shooter-ID-d-UPDATE-in-OP/5-2037941/?page=182

"This festival was scheduled more than a year in advance. I’ve read (not officially) that hotel rooms were booked months in advance. The planning for this type of attack would require a significant amount of time, effort, and money. I just don’t buy the “insane, lone-wolf” scenario from a guy with almost no cyber profile and no criminal record. If I was in Vegas and a betting man, I bet there are ties (that will never be uncovered) tracing this whacko back to the Hillary campaign or similar far-left Soros-funded group. If she was elected, what better event could be used to focus all her political capital, time, resources, and attention to wage a war on the 2A and civilian gun-ownership in America. Here’s a white guy (many will assume Alt-Right despite the targeted audience), no criminal record who can legally purchase and possess multiple “weapons of war”, thousands of rounds of “high powered” ammunition, devices that are purchased over the counter that make said weapons fully-automatic all with no record of mental instability other than being a white (probably conservative, republican, Alt-Right) male. My tinfoil conspiracy just leads me to believe they could still use this planned, heinous act for their political purposes regardless of the political landscape. Sure, people are crazy and we have a country free enough to own private firearms; this whacko was somebody’s willing patsy…I would put $5 on it!"

Wasn't that the defence for the Cinema shooting as well? Basically an usher with a gun, and we're all safe. 

The defence of the right to bear arms is all well and good but, for me, it will always be trumped (for want of a better word) by the right to not be shot in the head while at a concert.

It's utter lunacy. Laws change. To reflect changing needs and attitudes. Several theft laws were changed in the UK around the theft of electricity and payment for petrol. In the UK, a long standing principle of there being no such thing as marital rape (because the wife gave continuing consent to sexual intercourse purely by entering into a marriage contract) was reversed in 1991.

The US bill of rights is from the late 1700's. It was a creation of its time. The conditions which may have required a well armed general public don't really exist anymore. Like the examples above, the law doesn't fit modern times and can and should be changed.

All it takes is one loon to have a bad day and he's got relatively easy access to all sorts of weaponry. Factor in the current political climate in the US, the divisive nature of their society at the moment and an explosion in prescription drug addiction and the US is a dangerous place.

Forget Somalia, Yemen etc, the FCO should advise people of the dangers of travelling to the US. It's never appealed to me as a travel destination anyway, but I'd definitely be concerned about going to a country where the public can be so freely armed. It's lunacy.

How would counter-terrorism work then?

What Jockey said - get rid of the guns, in particular military grade automatic weapons.

Then get rid of Donald Trump, who fabricates Swedish terror attacks.

After that tone down the Islamophobic rhetoric in mainstream media.

Then deal with specific and known threats in a proportionate manner.

Finally, stop pillaging oil-rich countries for their resources in the name of regime change.

Voila!

• Upvote 2

What Jockey said - get rid of the guns, in particular military grade automatic weapons.

Then get rid of Donald Trump, who fabricates Swedish terror attacks.

After that tone down the Islamophobic rhetoric in mainstream media.

Then deal with specific and known threats in a proportionate manner.

Finally, stop pillaging oil-rich countries for their resources in the name of regime change.

Voila!

It was a facetious comment. This bloke seems to have been a law abiding bloke until yesterday - how can counter-terrorism stop him?

You seem to be saying all terrorism is related to brown people ya big racist.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1