You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Las Vegas shooting

Rico1304

It wasn't a snipe at Christianity. It was a snipe at the likes of rico and Strontium Dog, who can't wait to start frothing on about Islamic extremism before the tell-tale passport is found whenever there is a "terror" attack.

Nevertheless, I apologise for any offence caused.

All you should be apologising for is for being a bog-standard troll.

I had a conversation the other day with a fella who carries a gun. When I asked him why, he said it was to protect himself and his family. When I asked him why he felt the need to carry in public, he said that you never know. We were in a restaurant and he imagined a situation where someone came in and started shooting up the place. He said he could shoot him to potentially save the lives of many other people in the restaurant.

This sort of thinking is deeply ingrained in the culture over here.

I tried to find common ground with the fella, so I lauded him for the desire to limit the loss of life. Then I turned the conversation in the direction of the stats on gun deaths. Anubis names most of the biggies above, but on average it is 90 people a day, killed by firearms in America. I said to the fella that if lessening the loss of life was your goal, then we share the same goal. Then I tried to argue that a movement to reduce access to guns would yield much better results, but he wasn't having it. There's no way he would give up his guns.

Madness.

His first point is actually spot on though. If you live in America where the gun controls are what they are you'd be daft to not own one and carry one. I never understand how, although they may not want to carry one themselves, people can't see that carrying one in the US is necessary in some eyes.

Now that doesn't mean to say you wouldn't want guns outlawed altogether or at least controlled. You aren't going to stop these mass shootings by not carrying a gun yourself or another perfectly sane person if the controls are as weak as they are. His final view on not wanting to give them up regardless is the problem

America decided it was okay with little children being murdered, so long as they kept their guns. There is no 'gun debate' to be had after you decide that.

Nothing is ever going to change. America needs to split - let the South go.

50 people dead!

They were killed with bullets. Big bullets. Hurting bullets.

The bullets were 'uge.

I've spoken to a lot of NRA and gun enthusiasts from the States on this very subject. Some are more subtle than others, some more respectful of others, but they're convinced of one thing... they think those who want tighter controls on guns are about as stupid as those who want them restricted think they are. They do have some good perspectives sometimes, and there are areas where I agree that gun ownership is actually appropriate, but when you really drill down to it, the majority of them are willing to let mass killings happen in the name of freedom. In that right there, we have what we call an irreconcilable difference.

I'd like to see what the NRA's response to this is

I don't know for sure on the type of weapon used, if it was legally owned or not, but from the sheer number of people dead I would suggest it was a fully automatic weapon with a large magazine. If it's an automatic weapon, he wouldn't have been allowed to own it.

I find this line disturbing: "President Donald Trump sent his condolences in a tweet Monday morning". The cunt tweeted.

I don't know for sure on the type of weapon used, if it was legally owned or not, but from the sheer number of people dead I would suggest it was a fully automatic weapon with a large magazine. If it's an automatic weapon, he wouldn't have been allowed to own it.

I find this line disturbing: "President Donald Trump sent his condolences in a tweet Monday morning". The cunt tweeted.

Hopefully sometime soon, someone will pull that mobile phone from his cold dead hands

Not true.  This is Nevada gun laws, utter madness - 

Nevada laws on gun carry

• Open carry is legal without a permit
  • Nevada does not ban 'assault weapons' and there is no magazine capacity limit.
  • There are no purchase permits, gun registration, or gun-owner licensing.
  • There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are okay.
  • You do not have to "register" a gun to someone else
  • It is legal to carry concealed or openly in a bar or restaurant, even while consuming alcohol
  • Upvote 1

Nevada laws on gun carry

• Nevada does not ban 'assault weapons' and there is no magazine capacity limit.
  • There is no waiting period mandated for firearm purchases and private gun sales are okay.
  • It is legal to carry concealed or openly in a bar or restaurant, even while consuming alcohol

Yeah, automatics have to be registered it seems (according to the NRA) in Vegas. I figured it would have been licensed. Damn.

I think the prohibition on fully automatic weapons only applies to machine guns manufactured after the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 and that you can still buy machine guns made before that date. So it could have been a legal gun, even if full auto.

Nevada laws on gun carry

So basically they're still in the 1800's and its still the wild west.

Can you own a Bazooka in Nevada?. 

I think the prohibition on fully automatic weapons only applies to machine guns manufactured after the Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 and that you can still buy machine guns made before that date. So it could have been a legal gun.

Yeah, as above it seems like it could be even worse than that.

It wasn't a snipe at Christianity. It was a snipe at the likes of rico and Strontium Dog, who can't wait to start frothing on about Islamic extremism before the tell-tale passport is found whenever there is a "terror" attack.

Nevertheless, I apologise for any offence caused.

What the fuck are you on about you melt? I started the fucking thread - you'll be able to point to the bit where I blamed religion. Go on, I'll pop the kettle on.

• Upvote 4

I've said it in other threads, but too many people see firearms as an easy solution to dealing with whatever their grievances are. Having laws and a culture that only further foster this mentality is what the USA in particular stubbornly refuses to address.