You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Las Vegas shooting

Rico1304

Religion of peace strikes again.

I don't know the details of this fully, but it sounds like it was a 64 year old man firing from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay into the crowd below. Sickening business.

Just want to say that the sniping at Christianity in the midst of this is unfair. There is nothing ideological in Christianity that would justify or promote this sort of action.

• Upvote 4

Just want to say that the sniping at Christianity in the midst of this is unfair. There is nothing ideological in Christianity that would justify or promote this sort of action.

Jesus went wild with the moneylenders in the temple, and Last Vegas is the gambling capitol of the world. Just saying like...

On a more serious note, this whole situation is pretty awful. 50 people go to a concert and don't come back. Another 200 mentally scarred.  I've just seen this on Twitter...

US mass shootings. Las Vegas, 2017: 50+ killed Orlando, 2016: 50 killed Virginia Tech, 2007: 32 killed Sandy Hook, 2012: 27 killed San Ysirdo, 1984: 21 killed San Bernadino, 2015: 14 killed Edmond, 1986: 14 killed Fort Hood, 2009: 13 killed Columbine, 1999: 13 killed

And yet the NRA will still come out with some bullshit about protecting Second Amendment rights. When are the stupid bastards going to learn that the more you make weapons available, the more somebody will avail themselves of the opportunity to use them.

I had a conversation the other day with a fella who carries a gun. When I asked him why, he said it was to protect himself and his family. When I asked him why he felt the need to carry in public, he said that you never know. We were in a restaurant and he imagined a situation where someone came in and started shooting up the place. He said he could shoot him to potentially save the lives of many other people in the restaurant.

This sort of thinking is deeply ingrained in the culture over here.

I tried to find common ground with the fella, so I lauded him for the desire to limit the loss of life. Then I turned the conversation in the direction of the stats on gun deaths. Anubis names most of the biggies above, but on average it is 90 people a day, killed by firearms in America. I said to the fella that if lessening the loss of life was your goal, then we share the same goal. Then I tried to argue that a movement to reduce access to guns would yield much better results, but he wasn't having it. There's no way he would give up his guns.

Madness.

I don't know the details of this fully, but it sounds like it was a 64 year old man firing from the upper floors of the Mandalay Bay into the crowd below. Sickening business.

It wasn't a snipe at Christianity.  It was a snipe at the likes of rico and Strontium Dog, who can't wait to start frothing on about Islamic extremism before the tell-tale passport is found whenever there is a "terror" attack.  

Nevertheless, I apologise for any offence caused.

• Upvote 2

On a more serious note, this whole situation is pretty awful. 50 people go to a concert and don't come back. Another 200 mentally scarred.  I've just seen this on Twitter...

And yet the NRA will still come out with some bullshit about protecting Second Amendment rights. When are the stupid bastards going to learn that the more you make weapons available, the more somebody will avail themselves of the opportunity to use them.

Nothing is going to change while so many make substantial profits from the weapons industry and so many others are employed by it.

• Upvote 1