You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Spartak Moscow 1 Liverpool 1 (Sep 25 2017)

tlw content

spartakreport1.jpg

Incredibly frustrating but if we’re going to have a game like that when we just couldn’t put the ball in the net then this was the time to have it. It shouldn’t be too damaging in terms of qualification for the knock out stages and leaving the result side there was a lot to be satisfied with.

Of course we gave away a bad goal with the opposition’s only effort of any note. That happens every game now. The defence is getting a lot of stick at the moment, much of it deserved, but the back four were excellent in this game. The goal came from a free-kick that for me was never a foul as Coutinho clearly got the ball. That said, if the free-kick goes in the corner you hold your hands up and say there’s nothing you can do about it.

It didn’t though, it was in the middle of the goal and Karius has to save that. Klopp got tetchy when the interviewer pointed that out afterwards, and he tried to defend his keeper. That's fair enough as he’s not going to throw him under the bus, but we don’t need to worry about that and the truth is that was shite. 

Say what you like about Mignolet, and most people do, but for me he doesn’t concede from that free-kick in a million years. Look, I get why a lot of fans aren’t taken with Mignolet and want him replaced, what I don’t get is how anyone with a working set of eyes would prefer Karius. He’s done NOTHING to suggest he’s any good and in all honesty he’s lucky to be ahead of Danny Ward. That’s two free-kicks he’s let in now that weren’t even in the corner. 

I accept that it’s difficult for Klopp and as much as I don’t like rotating keepers, it’s just the way things are now. Plenty of other clubs do it because if you don’t then how can you persuade goalkeepers to sign for you when there’s a chance they won’t play any games? So I understand why Klopp is doing it, and in theory I’m good with it. Where it falls down is that I don’t have any confidence at all in Karius. 

This is only a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Didn't Karius play very well in the away leg of league cup semi v Southampton? But your point is correct of course, I don't know what Klopp is trying to prove by playing Karius now, we'd be as well with Mike Hooper in there. Its baffling how top level managers can be so stubborn and pig-headed in the face of whats is obvious. Its the I know best and you people are clueless attitude that gets me..... which ties into how he reacts to the crowd at Anfied in his pumped shut the f**k up manner.

Sorry but it was a clear foul by Coutinho.

Klopp can get away keeping Karius in for the Maribor games but he should be out from now.

Not in my eyes.  He's a liability and if he is going to rotate Mig, then Ward should be getting the CL games.  Me personally, I'd have Mignolet as I don't believe it serves much purpose rotating keepers. 

In the match thread, I said we should play a 4-3-3 with the midfield triangle flipped so Henderson and Can play as a pair with Coutinho in a more advanced position. I also suggested that Milner should start at right back unless Spartak are quick down their left, in which case Trent A-A or Gomez should get the nod (I forget Gomez was suspended for this one). Up front, I felt we'd be better off with anout-and-out striker in the middle instead of Firmino, so either Sturridge or Solanke. Wijnaldum and AOC would be better as bench options.

As it turned out, Klopp got it right tactically by flipping the midfield triangle. Spartak offered almost nothing in the game and it was our wastefulness in the final third that prevented us from claiming 3 points, not anything Spartak did. That's not a tactical issue, more a lack of ruthlessness and precision on our part.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it was a foul. For me the lad tried to take the ball past Coutinho, but hit it straight at him and then went over his leg. Coutinho won the ball and then the lad went tumbling over his leg.

I've seen it about 6 times from three angles - from none of them is it a foul. The Spartak lad should be in a circus, he does so many tumbles. 

• Upvote 1

That was the most cynical performance from an opponent I've seen in a long while.They were theatrical diving and time wasting at every opportunity it's as if Mourinho was involved.It was never a foul with Coutinho the player was looking at him waiting for the contact then he stepped into him and threw himself over his leg.How many of them went down with cramp.