You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Leicester City 2 Liverpool 3

tlw content

1. 3 points. Is right!

2. It was never comfortable was it? At two-nil I thought we’d need at least one more (and possibly two) and so it proved. 

3. I can’t believe people are criticising Salah’s finishing. That was his sixth of the season. He plays wide forward, his figures are better than one in two, he’s only just arrived at Liverpool and he’d previously had less than twenty games in English football. What more could anyone possibly ask for?

4. I’m now all in on Team Mig. He’s never going to be a true great, but the lad is now a very good keeper with no real weaknesses in my view. He was ripped off for the pen but saved it anyway, dealt with all kinds of aerial bombs and his kicking has improved exponentially. People throwing mud his way now are not watching what’s in front their eyes in my opinion. 

5. It’s now clear that Jurgen “development/long term” Klopp will keep selecting players whose form is variable (at best). Generally, of these young experimental picks, Gomez has looked one of the more reliable. The space he gave Albrighton in the run up to their second though was shocking. Still looks the best bet of the young defenders to me though (Trent is a midfielder surely?). 

6. Coutinho was superb while on the pitch. The whole back injury thing was embarrassing but I’m not especially arsed by anything else regarding him from the summer. We did very well to keep him on this evidence. 

7. I thought Hendo was very good today, too. 

8. Daniel Sturridge oozed class when he came on. With a more robust body he’d be an all-time Liverpool great by now. No doubt. I’ll settle for this though. We were right to keep him. 

9. Firmino had a stinker. He never stopped running though so he gets a pass. 

10. I feel much better after a win, no matter how tight. That said, in the context of the way The Mancs and especially City have started the season, we’ve been mediocre. The attack needs to be more ruthless and the defence needs a revolution. For tonight though, it feels good to just have a win. Roll on Moscow. 

Paul Natton

@OxtonSoulBoy

Click here to view the article
  • Upvote 3

Anybody who has ever played a team sport and had a bad run - at any level - knows you need a win. Work the rest out from there.

Sturridge is the saddest footballer I have ever known. He makes it look so simple when he's fit, so so simple... he just can't stay fit. Great player.

I'm happy, if you're not, it is because you prefer not being happy!

• Upvote 4

A few thoughts from yours truly as well:

1. How stressful is it to watch the reds?!

2. We really need to start putting games to bed in a more comfortable fashion. It feels as though every game is on a knife-edge and we head into the last few minutes at risk of throwing away some good work. The last comfortable win we had was the 4-0 against Arsenal and that was a month ago! C’mon lads my ticker can’t take this...

3. In the context of the fees towards the end of the summer transfer window, Salah is looking like an absolute bargain. He isn’t perfect (who is?) but he could easily end the season as our top scorer. The header today was sublime and he showed a lot of balls to do that after missing a genuinely open goal just a few minutes earlier.

4. This referee is a complete liability. I lost count of the amount of poor decisions he made in the game and he could easily have cost us 2 points.

5. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, our defending continues to infuriate. We can’t continue to concede so many goals, regardless of how the poor officiating contributed to it today. Only Palace, West Ham and Leicester have conceded more this season. That’s not good company to be keeping.

6. Mignolet has a lot of critics and i’m not a big fan myself; he saved our arse today though and deserves credit for that.

7. Coutinho was sensational and we’ve really missed him. He clearly deserves stick for what he did in the summer but you have to be pragmatic about it. He’s our best player not called Mane so we need him. Lets wring as much quality out of him as we can.

8. Gomez struggled a bit today which is a worry because Trent has also had his troubles. You have to expect that from young players but it really highlights what you are missing too. Clyne has his faults going forward but I miss having his presence in the side as he’s a really solid defender. I’m looking forward to his return.

9. Sturridge looked really sharp when he came on. AOC’s cameo was infinitely more encouraging than his performance in midweek too (couldn’t have been worse to be fair).

10. Despite our obvious flaws we are sitting in a decent position in the table. The two Manchester clubs are looking very, very strong but Mourinho is coming to Anfield soon and we owe him one (at least).

• Upvote 6

To be honest, I thought we were really in control at 2-0. It was only when the shit ref allowed a clear holding down of mignolet by that little shit that let them back in. Watch the foul again if you missed it, he's holding on to and down on mignolet's arm so he cant get a clear run. By the time he let's go of him, mignolet cant get any real height to make a clean punch. But that's mignolet's 'fault' if you read the match thread.

Sure they had an offside goal disallowed but that's the shiteness they've made of the rule now. An attacker is 4 or 5 metres offside, walks back towards the defence before the ball's pumped into the middle then turns and makes a run. I honestly dont blame linos for making mistakes in those situation when you've a mob of players in the box. How the fuck can they tell who's interferring in 'phase 1' or 'phase2' of the move?

The timing of that goal immediately before HT gave them a lift and like Tuesday, they would come out to try and make a better fist of it.

Unfortunately, for us, we couldnt prevent an almost immediate reply by them after henderson made it 3-1. Credit to mig for saving what was a con on the ref by vardy. He hit it hard so mignolet's 'lettice wrists' were up to the task.

A few thoughts from yours truly as well:

1. How stressful is it to watch the reds?!

2. We really need to start putting games to bed in a more comfortable fashion. It feels as though every game is on a knife-edge and we head into the last few minutes at risk of throwing away some good work. The last comfortable win we had was the 4-0 against Arsenal and that was a month ago! C’mon lads my ticker can’t take this...

3. In the context of the fees towards the end of the summer transfer window, Salah is looking like an absolute bargain. He isn’t perfect (who is?) but he could easily end the season as our top scorer. The header today was sublime and he showed a lot of balls to do that after missing a genuinely open goal just a few minutes earlier.

4. This referee is a complete liability. I lost count of the amount of poor decisions he made in the game and he could easily have cost us 2 points.

5. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, our defending continues to infuriate. We can’t continue to concede so many goals, regardless of how the poor officiating contributed to it today. Only Palace, West Ham and Leicester have conceded more this season. That’s not good company to be keeping.

6. Mignolet has a lot of critics and i’m not a big fan myself; he saved our arse today though and deserves credit for that.

7. Coutinho was sensational and we’ve really missed him. He clearly deserves stick for what he did in the summer but you have to be pragmatic about it. He’s our best player not called Mane so we need him. Lets wring as much quality out of him as we can.

8. Gomez struggled a bit today which is a worry because Trent has also had his troubles. You have to expect that from young players but it really highlights what you are missing too. Clyne has his faults going forward but I miss having his presence in the side as he’s a really solid defender. I’m looking forward to his return.

9. Sturridge looked really sharp when he came on. AOC’s cameo was infinitely more encouraging than his performance in midweek too (couldn’t have been worse to be fair).

10. Despite our obvious flaws we are sitting in a decent position in the table. The two Manchester clubs are looking very, very strong but Mourinho is coming to Anfield soon and we owe him one (at least).

10 Commanding thoughts.

To be honest, I thought we were really in control at 2-0. It was only when the shit ref allowed a clear holding down of mignolet by that little shit that let them back in. Watch the foul again if you missed it, he's holding on to and down on mignolet's arm so he cant get a clear run. By the time he let's go of him, mignolet cant get any real height to make a clean punch. But that's mignolet's 'fault' if you read the match thread.

Sure they had an offside goal disallowed but that's the shiteness they've made of the rule now. An attacker is 4 or 5 metres offside, walks back towards the defence before the ball's pumped into the middle then turns and makes a run. I honestly dont blame linos for making mistakes in those situation when you've a mob of players in the box. How the fuck can they tell who's interferring in 'phase 1' or 'phase2' of the move?

The timing of that goal immediately before HT gave them a lift and like Tuesday, they would come out to try and make a better fist of it.

Unfortunately, for us, we couldnt prevent an almost immediate reply by them after henderson made it 3-1. Credit to mig for saving what was a con on the ref by vardy. He hit it hard so mignolet's 'lettice wrists' were up to the task.

The lad who made the first header was offside Jimmy not Okazaki , so that was correctly disallowed. And as for the first goal , firstly Vardy kicks Matip's leg & flings himself down and then after Mignolet's save the ref should have blown for half time as it was already a minute over the minimum 2 extra minutes at that point.

1. 3 points. Is right! 2. It was never comfortable was it? At two-nil I thought we’d need at least one more (and possibly two) and so it proved.  3. I can’t believe people are criticising Salah’s finishing. That was his sixth of the season. He plays wide forward, his figures are better than one in two, he’s only just arrived at Liverpool and he’d previously had less than twenty games in English football. What more could anyone possibly ask for? 4. I’m now all in on Team Mig. He’s never going to be a true great, but the lad is now a very good keeper with no real weaknesses in my view. He was ripped off for the pen but saved it anyway, dealt with all kinds of aerial bombs and his kicking has improved exponentially. People throwing mud his way now are not watching what’s in front their eyes in my opinion.  5. It’s now clear that Jurgen “development/long term” Klopp will keep selecting players whose form is variable (at best). Generally, of these young experimental picks, Gomez has looked one of the more reliable. The space he gave Albrighton in the run up to their second though was shocking. Still looks the best bet of the young defenders to me though (Trent is a midfielder surely?).  6. Coutinho was superb while on the pitch. The whole back injury thing was embarrassing but I’m not especially arsed by anything else regarding him from the summer. We did very well to keep him on this evidence.  7. I thought Hendo was very good today, too.  8. Daniel Sturridge oozed class when he came on. With a more robust body he’d be an all-time Liverpool great by now. No doubt. I’ll settle for this though. We were right to keep him.  9. Firmino had a stinker. He never stopped running though so he gets a pass.  10. I feel much better after a win, no matter how tight. That said, in the context of the way The Mancs and especially City have started the season, we’ve been mediocre. The attack needs to be more ruthless and the defence needs a revolution. For tonight though, it feels good to just have a win. Roll on Moscow.  

Paul Natton

@OxtonSoulBoy

Click here to view the article

Fuck off back to the MF.

• Upvote 1

Another thing worth noting, Leicester's first shouldn't have stood of course, but it's just as well Okazaki scored it as Mignolet would certainly have been red carded for holding him back.

Exactly, plus they had a blatant penalty turned down after the one they missed, so although the ref was terrible on the whole, we got away with a couple of things ourselves due to his/their shitness

Mignolet had a shoicker..Made a nice save before their first but that's it .camera saves .His slowness/dithering on the ball ,almost getting caught by Vardy puts the shits up the whole team and undermines any confidence .As for the pen,what the fuck was he doing going in with his legs.Afraid of getting a clatter by using his fucking hands.

Great seeing Studge(angry Studge) back to looking like his best..hope he can stay injury free for a few weeks maybe get him smiling again

Didn't see the game, but it's weird to see some posters state that Mignolet had a fine game, and others state that he had a shocker. This means either (a) a whole bunch of people on here are incredibly biased when it comes to player performances, or ( b  ) a lot of people simply have no idea how to judge player performances. 

Spot on except for their offside goal. When the ball was played from the free kick, their entire line was offside before their neanderthal flicked it on. That was the call.

Another tense game! Feels like we have a season of this to look forward to as we haven't improved on the defensive side of our game at all. Luckily potentially we probably have the best attacking quartet in the league.

- Coutinho was brilliant, hope he stays fit and maintains that level of performance the whole season (which is likely his last)

- Salah continued his fine form, another goal and causing their defence all manner of problems with his pace and constant running.

- Nice little cameo from Sturridge

- Thought Henderson had his best game for a while

- Mignolet showed the good and bad of his game. He should have come with his hands for that penalty, no idea what he was thinking. BUT he saved the resulting penalty which won us the three points and generally looked fairly commanding and produced a couple of good saves. He had his arm held a bit for their goal, but he needs to be big bad and strong in those situations, probably shouldn't have come for that ball anyway, but probably has no faith in the defence clearing it! True what was said before, again don't know what he was thinking holding the shirt of the guy scoring - could have been a red card moment right there! One or two shaky moments AGAIN at the back passing it to Can I think at one point when he had a Leicester player either side of him...just fcking boot it upfield in those situations!

- The ref was appalling again. We bore the brunt of this, he 'missed' fouls and gave fouls which he shouldn't have. Lovren had a very clear penalty shout in the second half when the Leciester guy (Maguire?) was clearly fouling him in the box from a corner - ref had a good view too. The Can handball was one to debate, but not sure exactly what he's supposed to do with his arms there - he can't run around with his hands behind his back all the time can he!?!

Overall, really happy with the win of course and hope we can get another run going, especially with Mane back - can't wait to see him, Salah, Coutinho and Firmino frightening defences again with their pace movement and guile!

• Upvote 1