You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Burnley 1 (Sep 16 2017)

tlw content

Honestly it just highlights how little you must actually watch the game (or watch it through laughably biased specs). Mignolet literally hasn't even put one ball in the stands never mind kicked it flat once in years. His kicking was horrific when he joined. It seemed like he had no power at all. After about 6 months it improved and is now solid.

• Upvote 1

Mignolet's kicking has been solid now for about 3 years. He clears the half with both feet pretty much every single time he kicks it.

Not sure about three years, but it's definitely improved. He could barely reach the halfway line when he arrived; now he comfortably hits it beyond the centre circle. Not amazing but far from shit.

Not sure about three years, but it's definitely improved. He could barely reach the halfway line when he arrived; now he comfortably hits it beyond the centre circle. Not amazing but far from shit.

I'd honestly say I reckon it's closer to 3 than 2 but either way it's been solid for a very long time now. It's never going to be Reina levels but there aren't many keepers who could kick a ball as far he could. I find it odd that people reel off nonsense cliches based on really old examples though. Mignolet can be a pain in the arse when his concentration goes but his all round game now is a lot better than it was. If you still don't think he's good enough then fair enough but why perpetuate stupid myths like his kicking is still shit. It clearly isn't and I'd go as far as saying it's more consistent than any of the other keepers in the league bar De Gea.

Honestly it just highlights how little you must actually watch the game (or watch it through laughably biased specs). Mignolet literally hasn't even put one ball in the stands never mind kicked it flat once in years. His kicking was horrific when he joined. It seemed like he had no power at all. After about 6 months it improved and is now solid.

The move for the first Man City goal starts with his shit kick straight to one of their players. 

3 years my fucking arse, less than 3 weeks!

• Upvote 1

I hate the way we refer to a goalie's ability with the ball at his feet as just "kicking". You'd never have described Gerrard as great at "kicking", you'd say he was good at passing and shooting. Implies the only thing goalies have to do is just whack it straight into the opposition's half as far as possible.

Mignolet's decent enough at passing for a goalie, he's fucking dogshit at clearances though. Yes he's improved a bit and can actually find the opposition's half now but Karius is better at both.

The move for the first Man City goal starts with his shit kick straight to one of their players. 

3 years my fucking arse, less than 3 weeks!

What fucking shit. Watch it again, he kicks the ball to firmino who's strayed offside in the meantime. Bobby doesnt challenge for the ball because he knows it would be a free kick and city pick the ball up and start the attack. But dont let those facts colour your judgement or recollection of events.

Mignolet's kicking has improved - from awful to average. It's his throwing (or rather his failure to throw quickly) which is most annoying. I don't expect a keeper to be as good as Reina at quick distribution but when we're trying to break quickly it would be good if Mignolet could at least match what Karius tries to do.

I hate the way we refer to a goalie's ability with the ball at his feet as just "kicking". You'd never have described Gerrard as great at "kicking", you'd say he was good at passing and shooting. Implies the only thing goalies have to do is just whack it straight into the opposition's half as far as possible.

Mignolet's decent enough at passing for a goalie, he's fucking dogshit at clearances though. Yes he's improved a bit and can actually find the opposition's half now but Karius is better at both.

Karius is better at nothing. Than anybody. Even Mignolet.

I'd honestly say I reckon it's closer to 3 than 2 but either way it's been solid for a very long time now. It's never going to be Reina levels but there aren't many keepers who could kick a ball as far he could. I find it odd that people reel off nonsense cliches based on really old examples though. Mignolet can be a pain in the arse when his concentration goes but his all round game now is a lot better than it was. If you still don't think he's good enough then fair enough but why perpetuate stupid myths like his kicking is still shit. It clearly isn't and I'd go as far as saying it's more consistent than any of the other keepers in the league bar De Gea.

Eh? I never said his kicking is still shit. I was broadly agreeing with you!