You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 1 Burnley 1 (Sep 16 2017)

tlw content

burnleyreport1.jpg

Not clinical enough and defensively suspect. Stop me if you’ve heard this before. I don’t even know what the answer is anymore, we’ve seen this so often and at this point there’s absolutely no reason to think it won’t continue. 

We’re as bad defensively as we’ve ever been but I’m not sure how you fix it when it’s often just stupid individual errors by different players. We can’t even blame Lovren or Moreno for this as Lovren cried off with a back injury (must have caught it off Phil) and Moreno was rested. Whoever lines up in that back four though, we’re just so easy to score against. 

Burnley didn’t even try to attack; they were not interested in having the ball and barely ventured out of their own half. Yet they scored one and could easily have had another without actually doing anything out of the ordinary. A long ball that we didn’t deal with, a second ball we didn’t react to and just like that we’re 1-0 down. It’s inexcusable how easy we make it for opponents to score. They rarely have to work for it as we just hand it to them. 

Conceding like that was the last thing we needed coming off the back of the loss to City and throwing away a win against Sevilla. The feel good factor that was there after smashing Hoffenheim and Arsenal as recently as three weeks ago has has quickly been replaced by jitters, mistrust and disillusionment. Things are not as bad as they seem right now and a couple of wins will get us back on track, but frigging hell it’s stressful watching us at the moment. 

It’s not even that we’re playing badly. For most of the game against Sevilla we were ok and there were spells where we were outstanding. None of it matters when you are throwing away the result with defensive incompetence. It was the same in this one. I thought the performance was mostly fine overall but it doesn’t really matter does it? We needed to win the game, we should have won the game, but we didn’t. 

Klopp made seven changes which obviously leaves him open for criticism from some, because rotation is a contentious business and you can't please everyone unless you win every game. I was fine with the number of changes made as he definitely needed to freshen things up.

The only issue I had was that Oxlade-Chamberlain didn’t start. Why pay nearly £40m for him if he’s not going to play when either Mané or Salah is missing? Wasn’t that the whole fucking reason to sign him so we didn’t have to keep using Firmino wide? Apparently not. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

"There’s nothing Klopp can do about that; this is an experienced player that should be above that kind of error​" It's alright saying there's nothing Klopp can do about a player's mistake, but surely a better player would make less mistakes? Like Van Dijk or, oh, I don't know....Sakho. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Stop me if you’ve heard this before.

I don’t even know what the answer is anymore,

We’ve seen this so often and at this point

There’s absolutely no reason to think it won’t continue.

Anyone else read this is Morrissey's singing voice?

• Upvote 2

I think Oxlade Chamberlain is shit and Klopp knows it so is reluctant to play him. Maybe a signing not wholly endorsed by him? Or maybe he is simply not happy with his fitness levels? Hopefully the latter.

Alternatively, he doesn't think the player he sanctioned the purchase of 21 days ago is shit.  Alternatively, he just thinks he needs more time learning how we play on the training field.  Like in the old days where we used to stick players in the reserves for a year as part of their rite of passage.

• Upvote 3

Alternatively, he doesn't think the player he sanctioned the purchase of 21 days ago is shit.  Alternatively, he just thinks he needs more time learning how we play on the training field.  Like in the old days where we used to stick players in the reserves for a year as part of their rite of passage.

Yep, bang on. The person you quoted is talking absolute crap but seems to be the trend amongst some fans nowadays. Crazy world, eh?

But just as conveniently, the argument is used that "times have changed" from the good old days.

Rite of passage for an England international bought from a top 4 rival.  

Interesting times we live in.

As childish and unprofessional as it may sound but could Coutinho not giving Robertson the ball be because it wasn't his mate Moreno. I've played enough football over the years to see that sort of thing go on a lot more than people would imagine. Even though they get a lot of money etc they are just like any other set of fellas playing football.

As childish and unprofessional as it may sound but could Coutinho not giving Robertson the ball be because it wasn't his mate Moreno. I've played enough football over the years to see that sort of thing go on a lot more than people would imagine. Even though they get a lot of money etc they are just like any other set of fellas playing football.

He did it in Dublin during our last pre season game. I noticed then he (coutinho) didnt pass to robertson most of the game. Maybe he just doesnt rate robertson or thinks 'who the fuck are you?'

Perfectly acceptable theory, given it involves a player who didn't want to be here the other week.

Yep, bang on. The person you quoted is talking absolute crap but seems to be the trend amongst some fans nowadays. Crazy world, eh?

Personally, I don't think it's crap.  It's fears of actual shit that actually happened in the recent past being projected onto today's situation.   In the actual recent past we've had the manager and transfer team at loggerheads.  In the recent past, we've signed 'top european talents' who've turned out completely shit.

Personally, I think my explanation makes more sense, for today.  A few years ago, I would have been called crazy tho'.  Crazy world, eh?

Personally, I don't think it's crap.  It's fears of actual shit that actually happened in the recent past being projected onto today's situation.   In the actual recent past we've had the manager and transfer team at loggerheads.  In the recent past, we've signed 'top european talents' who've turned out completely shit.

Personally, I think my explanation makes more sense, for today.  A few years ago, I would have been called crazy tho'.  Crazy world, eh?

Yeah you wouldnt think I was actually agreeing with your original comments, would you?

Whether it's what happened a few years ago is immaterial. Klopp's comments on the signing of Ox Chambers makes it pretty clear he wanted him and the fact he hasnt started him isnt an indication of otherwise.

But just as conveniently, the argument is used that "times have changed" from the good old days.

Rite of passage for an England international bought from a top 4 rival.  

Interesting times we live in.

This whole gegenpressing stuff, the triggers, the approaches, etc, seem to be alien ideas to our players.  Even those here from the beginning are still learning the hows, whys and the whens.  It's not like we're doing the simple 'knock it long and steam up-field' approach.

Yeah you wouldnt think I was actually agreeing with your original comments, would you?

Whether it's what happened a few years ago is immaterial. Klopp's comments on the signing of Ox Chambers makes it pretty clear he wanted him and the fact he hasnt started him isnt an indication of otherwise.

Stop fishing for approval.  

Aren't you old enough to cope without that?

This whole gegenpressing stuff, the triggers, the approaches, etc, seem to be alien ideas to our players.  Even those here from the beginning are still learning the hows, whys and the whens.  It's not like we're doing the simple 'knock it long and steam up-field' approach.

I reckon Oxley-Chambermaid (or whatever he's called) could cope from kick-off, if he's good enough.

He was combining with Firminho all the time.  He knows his runs, and he knows his, so they combine well.   Probably, no more than that.

We should have been 1-0 up after 60 seconds, with Sturridge on his heels. 

Think we had another good chance on 5 mins.

You can chalk it down to a 'bad day at the office' for Sturridge, but that would be unrealistic and you would be kidding yourself. Because that suggests he'll learn from that, get sharper, and start putting them away.  But that won't happen, because he won't play enough games to get sharper, it's a false reassurance, and we love lying to ourselves. 

I miss the fanzine....... Id really like to read that article on Klopp and the crowd. It does my head in and he needs to pack it in. Maybe worth bringing up in an ESPN article Dave, although I know you couldn't give it the full treatment in that editorially.

• Upvote 2

He'll go fucking ape shit, when I unveil by new 

I miss the fanzine....... Id really like to read that article on Klopp and the crowd. It does my head in and he needs to pack it in. Maybe worth bringing up in an ESPN article Dave, although I know you couldn't give it the full treatment in that editorially.

He'll go fucking ape shit, when I unveil my new "KLOPP OUT" banner, at the next home game.

• Upvote 3

If he needs to shout at anyone at Anfield it's certain players, because if he is doing it behind closed doors it isn't working. There has always been murmurs in the crowd, we had bad runs when we were great, best way to get the fans full support is to perform. But the players need the fans ?

Should need no motivation, the fans support but it's the same shit year after. The manager is shouting at fans who have known what we needed for years, knowledgable fans not idiots.

If he needs to shout at anyone at Anfield it's certain players, because if he is doing it behind closed doors it isn't working. There has always been murmurs in the crowd, we had bad runs when we were great, best way to get the fans full support is to perform. But the players need the fans ?

Should need no motivation, the fans support but it's the same shit year after. The manager is shouting at fans who have known what we needed for years, knowledgable fans not idiots.

Think the debate is becoming quite polarized now between the "Its the fans fault" vs "Its the players".

I think the point you've made there though is the most important. Every fucker and their dog knew we needed to buy a better centre half than Klavan at the very least. There is simply no reasonable debate to be had on that matter other than someone being deliberately contrary.

By not doing buying a centre half its basically just fed the negativity and made a lot of people fear how it'll impact on our season. And we're already seeing some evidence that peoples fears were justified.

I understand people saying whats done is done and what else can we do but support. They are 100% bang on. But it just doesn't alter the facts on the ground. We've left ourselves badly exposed until January and unless we stop shipping goals the way we are we'll struggle to have a good season. That is simple reality.

• Upvote 3