You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Liverpool 1 Burnley 1

tlw content

Whatever you say, chief. Agree to disagree. Things will never improve this way.

The entitlement of old upper and middle-class people is the problem here. Get some youth in, especially poor youth, and Anfield could be turned into a cauldron. 

I'm only telling you what has happened since time immemorial. And it wasn't the 'entitled' that were doing the moaning then, it was meffs like me.  But not me, obv, as I'm a superfan.

Jurgen Klopp believes that atmosphere is the key player in a football match. It is the one factor that tilted the balance of bundesliga in his favor for 2 years and took hid Dortmund team to the champions league final. And it is the one factor that made him want the Liverpool job. He believes in its power, and I can understand his frustration at not having it. You may disagree with his vision or the value he places on it ... fair enough but at least see where he comes from and don't accuse him of being "full of himself" because that is definitely not the case. This is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve and we will struggle big time when the time comes to replace him.

• Upvote 3

The entitlement of old upper and middle-class people is the problem here. Get some youth in, especially poor youth, and Anfield could be turned into a cauldron.

You're right about youth. Way off on class though - in The Kop at least. Can't speak for the toffs in the posh seats.

Jurgen Klopp believes that atmosphere is the key player in a football match. It is the one factor that tilted the balance of bundesliga in his favor for 2 years and took hid Dortmund team to the champions league title. And it is the one factor that made him want the Liverpool job. He believes in its power, and I can understand his frustration at not having it. You may disagree with his vision or the value he places on it ... fair enough but at least see where he comes from and don't accuse him of being "full of himself" because that is definitely not the case. This is a man who wears his heart on his sleeve and we will struggle big time when the time comes to replace him.

Atmosphere is a partnership between team and fans. If one side doesn't turn up, the other finds it hard. The fans always start pretty well - YNWA is always given a never less than decent airing before kick off - but tail off if the pace or aggression is poor. However, there's always a response to even little moments like a strong tackle or a great pass. If that isn't built upon by the players though, inevitably things settle down in the stands.
  • Upvote 2

"Poor youth"

What we gonna do charter flights from Eastern Europe.

There is no lack of effort from the team. They play the most intense football in the league and they run themselves to tbe ģround for us. Some positions may require an upgrade but that is something Klopp is working on albeit he wants the right players rather than more average ones. Meanwhile all he is asking is to get behind the ones we have until the right alternatives become available. This team would finish mid table with any other manager.

• Upvote 1

You're right about youth. Way off on class though - in The Kop at least. Can't speak for the toffs in the posh seats.

Yeah, plenty of older fans who are not particularly wealthy still go the game. For example, my dad, who is celebrating his 70th birthday today, has always lived in a council house and never had anything more than an average job.

Klopp's mantra is you support the team from kick off to final whistle. Have your moan after the final whistle not, give the players grief during the game (although I could understand some of the frustration in the ground today). He isnt looking for self adulation during the game either as he believes that detracts from giving support to the team.

It appears some people want Klopp to bend to their way of showing support rather than bending to his. If people arent prepared to buy into Klopp's way then, there's going to be a division created between the manager and a section of some of the fans.

We all know the support inside Anfield bar the big games has been shit for ages. Like you say he will be amazed at the difference between the bundesliga and here.

But then the football is run in Germany for the fans not for the corporate dollar.,(they pay half as much for match tickets and get free public transport with that ticket).  Its why i jibbed it ages ago, feel for the younger generation.

I thought the same during the first few weeks of Klopp's arrival. However, after 2 years I saw enough to subscribe to his vision of what a football club should be like. The holy trinity of fans, players, and manager as Shanks used to say ... it was never a case of get your own house in order first in Shanks's time ..

• Upvote 1

The real atmosphere died when The Kop went all seater. There's no way in the world you'll get the same atmosphere with fellas siting down with mostly strangers than you will when groups of 5, 10 or even 20 mates - often half-cut - are bouncing around next to each other.

• Upvote 2

I thought the same during the first few weeks of Klopp's arrival. However, after 2 years I saw enough to subscribe to his vision of what a football club should be like. The holy trinity of fans, players, and manager as Shanks used to say ... it was never a case of get your own house in order first in Shanks's time ..

The manager and players are barely allowed to sign autographs for fans.