You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Liverpool 1 Burnley 1

tlw content

Of course it was hyperbole. I'm on a fucking football forum!

I saw nothing out of the ordinary from Klopp, but I heard the fans moaning, heard very little support. He is what he is. He's done this before and nobody was arsed then. They're arsed now because it is a way to moan.

Hyperbole aside (fair point), i'm not sure what the fans are hoping to get out of this. But it isn't helping.

Just to be clear, I called him on his shit with the fans in at least three articles I wrote for Dave last season. It has irritated me since the first time he did it when The Kop gave it the "Who the fucking hell are you?" response after he went apoplectic when hearing his name sung.

Take the emotion out of things and just ask yourself this: is taking on the fans at Liverpool likely to end well? I think it's self-indulgent shite, regardless of whether his motivation is sound or not.

• Upvote 3

Also, on the broader point that thousands of people should change their behaviour on the say so of one man - that is possibly the most laughably naive thing I've ever read. There is no doubt the moaning is a problem, but the solution is for him to address the Groundhog Day football rather than spit his dummy out.

Liverpool fans want to win. Play winning football and they'll support anyone to the hilt - even allowing for bumps along the way. To keep telling us we're wrong about things that are bleedin' obvious without changing them though is Canute-esque.

Just to be clear, I called him on his shit with the fans in at least three articles I wrote for Dave last season. It has irritated me since the first time he did it when The Kop gave it the "Who the fucking hell are you?" response after he went apoplectic when hearing his name sung.

Take the emotion out of things and just ask yourself this: is taking on the fans at Liverpool likely to end well? I think it's self-indulgent shite, regardless of whether his motivation is sound or not.

Klopp doesn't think about it though, this is the thing. JohnB is obviously king of the Klopp personality haters at the moment, and he doesn't get it either, or realise he's projecting his own personality flaws onto the manager.

Klopp gets white line fever and acts like a lunatic during the match. He loves football, wants the crowd to be going bonkers all game and for us to tear into the opposition. He's done all sorts of stupid stuff like shouting at that fourth official that "no-one can stop us"! Etc.

Obviously if he was thinking he'd reserve criticism for the owners in not providing us with an 80,000 stadium, tickets at 10 quid and beer a pound a pop. But he's not thinking during the game.

If you're going to criticise him for waving angrily at the crowd for moaning, or shouting "That's Football!" when we happen to also be rather shit at the back, then you're just exposing your own inadequacies.

• Upvote 3

Seems bizarre to moan about the # of changes when we spent last season moaning about the fact we had no squad.  Especially, given that the changes didn't actually impact the performance. Mark one down to disappointed rantage and let's hope this doesn't herald a return to the Tinkerman and Rafa the Rotator skymemes of yesteryear.

I thought the left-sided players failed to fully utilize Robertson which was a bit disappointing.

Sturridge and Coutinho played a little too much for them selves.  Coutinho, it's understandable; Sturridge must have been reminded at half-time because he was better 2nd half.  Still not hitting the heights.

If Can was a little cuter, he would be an awesome player; way too many wrong choices though.

• Upvote 3

Burnley have an away draw against Spurs and an away win against Chelsea this season too.

Immaterial to some here. We're Liverpool, we should be steamrollering every club no matter what. At some points during the game, burnley had 6 players strung across the edge of their box.

Yesterday's result was disappointing as Ive said previously and perhaps Klopp didnt help himself with all the changes.

Seems bizarre to moan about the # of changes when we spent last season moaning about the fact we had no squad.  Especially, given that the changes didn't actually impact the performance. Mark one down to disappointed rantage and let's hope this doesn't herald a return to the Tinkerman and Rafa the Rotator skymemes of yesteryear.

I thought the left-sided players failed to fully utilize Robertson which was a bit disappointing.

Sturridge and Coutinho played a little too much for them selves.  Coutinho, it's understandable; Sturridge must have been reminded at half-time because he was better 2nd half.  Still not hitting the heights.

If Can was a little cuter, he would be an awesome player; way too many wrong choices though.

Agree with this.  Especially the lack of ball out to Robertson, who does appear to have a few more smarts than Moreno.   It wasn't the number of changes - in fact I thought we looked far more coherent, Coutinho excepted - it was the usual failings from the usual suspects.  

Can is prone to lapses of concentration, and though there were fewer of these, his decision making often makes me think he's believes he's playing in a slightly different team to the one he's in.  

I was disappointed that we didn't try to play the ball through wider positions when Solanke came on, as we did look more dangerous, though this might have been due to Burnley tiring. 

• Upvote 1

Klopp doesn't think about it though, this is the thing. JohnB is obviously king of the Klopp personality haters at the moment, and he doesn't get it either, or realise he's projecting his own personality flaws onto the manager.

Klopp gets white line fever and acts like a lunatic during the match. He loves football, wants the crowd to be going bonkers all game and for us to tear into the opposition. He's done all sorts of stupid stuff like shouting at that fourth official that "no-one can stop us"! Etc.

Obviously if he was thinking he'd reserve criticism for the owners in not providing us with an 80,000 stadium, tickets at 10 quid and beer a pound a pop. But he's not thinking during the game.

If you're going to criticise him for waving angrily at the crowd for moaning, or shouting "That's Football!" when we happen to also be rather shit at the back, then you're just exposing your own inadequacies.

Mate, I honestly have not got a clue what your last paragraph means.

As for your point about him not thinking about it, I cannot let a world class football manager who gets paid world class money to do a world class job off the hook with a shrug and a nod to his passion and quirky personality. He is beginning to alienate some of the very people he absolutely needs on his side and if he isn't thinking about that then he's a naive fool because it will make his job harder and harder and then ultimately untenable in the context of the Groundhog Day performances and results.

• Upvote 1

Bang on. But loads wont get it or see it.

Mate, I honestly have not got a clue what your last paragraph means.

As for your point about him not thinking about it, I cannot let a world class football manager who gets paid world class money to do a world class job off the hook with a shrug and a nod to his passion and quirky personality. He is beginning to alienate some of the very people he absolutely needs on his side and if he isn't thinking about that then he's a naive fool because it will make his job harder and harder and then ultimately untenable in the context of the Groundhog Day performances and results.

And here's a classic response. If people are being alienated, Id say that's a perfect example of their inadequacies. Its also highlights the self importance someone mentioned on another thread, the idea that fans have more of a clue than the manager. It is like when you get the overblown biffa munching on a pie in the stand telling one of the player's they are a fat lazy cunt because they didnt get to a through ball.

You've also got one or two people on here wanting benitez back as manager.

Now I appreciate sometimes when a manager is at the end of their spell in charge, they do lose it.

• Upvote 2

Bang on. But loads wont get it or see it.

Or see it as facile nonsense. "He cares. He can't help it." is pretty risible as justification for behaviour which is actually self-defeating.

I'm not criticising him showing passion; I'm criticism him kicking off at the fans. We are not here to serve him and the team. They are here to entertain us because we literally pay them an absolute fucking fortune to play football.

Yes they deserve our support and yes we need to do our best with that. However, if we are frustrated by the same problems which are years old and he's had years to sort out, then I think the balance of fault lies pretty squarely on the manager's shoulders rather than those of the fans.

• Upvote 9

And here's a classic response. If people are being alienated, Id say that's a perfect example of their inadequacies. Its also highlights the self importance someone mentioned on another thread, the idea that fans have more of a clue than the manager.

Yeah that was me I think.

And I was saying we have more of a clue about being Liverpool supporters than him.

Not about being managers.

Still, keep having a laugh.

• Upvote 1