You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Few Thoughts from the Match: Liverpool 1 Burnley 1

tlw content

1. Sigh.

*Be positive, be positive, be positive*

2. Salah is a cracking signing: pace, touch, movement, goals. Is right.

3. We played some decent stuff in the first half.

4. Erm...

5. I accept that we need to rotate this season, but seven changes? And why not make The Ox one of them? £40m surely gets you a start versus Burnley.

6. Not that the bench was relevant until there was almost no point. The game had died for us in an attacking sense at least twenty minutes before the subs even warmed up. Why not make a bolder change, sooner?

7. Our defending is unacceptable. How does a former centre half coach amazing attacking football while failing to effect any change whatsoever in our defending?

8. Joel Matip was soft as, throughout. Everyone gives it loads about Lovren and Klavan, but how is this bloke any better?

9. I've had just about enough of Klopp berating the fans. Jurgen - we get it: you think we're knob 'eds. Carry on like this though and you'll see the feeling become rapidly mutual. The goodwill drains audibly with every touch line tantrum you throw at your own fans. This is your team playing your football. If you don't like the way we react to Groundhog Day matches, change something.

10. By my reckoning we had four corner takers today. That tells you everything you need to know about both their quality and the importance placed upon them by the manager.

11. Despite the drudgery of recent results, it's right to remember that our general trajectory and current situation is good. It feels hard though after a 5-0 beating and two weak draws that exhibited all the same old problems.

12. We need to break out of this cycle of getting loads of chances but only taking one or two, while simultaneously conceding from only one or two shots on target. This is fundamental stuff and anyone not concerned by it is just not paying attention.

13. I really respect Klopp's commitment to the long term and also to player development, but he needs to get this season bouncing - and quickly. A bit of short-termisn wouldn't go amiss in that regard: get a full strength side out against Leicester for both games because things will get hairy if we see another 180 minutes of the same old same old.

Paul Natton

@OxtonSoulBoy

Click here to view the article
  • Upvote 10

12. We need to break out of this cycle of getting loads of chances but only taking one or two, while simultaneously conceding from only one or two shots on target. This is fundamental stuff and anyone not concerned by it is just not paying attention.

Bingo

We were getting loads of chances?

I think thats being a tad overly dramatic there man.

Moaning today was abysmal. I get you are frsutrated, but it doesn't help focusing on the player you don't like and all moaning. Henderson got it in midweek, Klavan today.

It is getting tiresome. No atmosphere just negative pessimissm.

• Upvote 1

He has a point regarding the fans. From the first minute against Watford they've not supported the team.

Im very supportive of Jurgen but today, he gave those doubters and moaners plenty of ammo to shoot him with.

Inside the ground is similar to the forum, you get all sorts of comments against the manager and support for him.

I didnt see him have a go at the fans today as someone has suggested.

You know I have a point. It was shit today, and it was shit against Palace.

Your original point was pure hyperbole. As I said elsewhere, the crowd probably don't need to see their arse when a defender passes backwards but that doesn't excuse Klopp's behaviour; he has to be better than that.

9. I've had just about enough of Klopp berating the fans. Jurgen - we get it: you think we're knob 'eds. Carry on like this though and you'll see the feeling become rapidly mutual. The goodwill drains audibly with every touch line tantrum you throw at your own fans. This is your team playing your football. If you don't like the way we react to Groundhog Day matches, change something.

I didn't notice this at the game today. But if I had seen it I'd have gone ballistic. Getting on the fans back after serving up that shite. 

Your original point was pure hyperbole. As I said elsewhere, the crowd probably don't need to see their arse when a defender passes backwards but that doesn't excuse Klopp's behaviour; he has to be better than that.

Of course it was hyperbole. I'm on a fucking football forum!

I saw nothing out of the ordinary from Klopp, but I heard the fans moaning, heard very little support. He is what he is. He's done this before and nobody was arsed then. They're arsed now because it is a way to moan.

Hyperbole aside (fair point), i'm not sure what the fans are hoping to get out of this. But it isn't helping.

Klopp probably should go back to Germany if he wants strong crowd support. It's long dead in English football with the bigger teams grounds being library's full of moaning cunts who think they've paid tbeir money to sit and be entertained.

He must be kicking himself about buying these tales of great Anfield atmospheres.

• Upvote 2

Klopp's mantra is you support the team from kick off to final whistle. Have your moan after the final whistle not, give the players grief during the game (although I could understand some of the frustration in the ground today). He isnt looking for self adulation during the game either as he believes that detracts from giving support to the team.

It appears some people want Klopp to bend to their way of showing support rather than bending to his. If people arent prepared to buy into Klopp's way then, there's going to be a division created between the manager and a section of some of the fans.

Klopp's mantra is you support the team from kick off to final whistle. Have your moan after the final whistle not, give the players grief during the game (although I could understand some of the frustration in the ground today). He isnt looking for self adulation during the game either as he believes that detracts from giving support to the team.

It appears some people want Klopp to bend to their way of showing support rather than bending to his. If people arent prepared to buy into Klopp's way then, there's going to be a division created between the manager and a section of some of the fans.

I totally support Klopp, despite the frustrations, in his task as manager of the team. 100%.  Get on with it, warts and all.

If (and that's IF) he wants to give lessons on how to be the right kind of Liverpool supporter though, he can get to fuck.

I and 10s of thousands of others have more experience and success at being one of those than him.

I totally support Klopp, despite the frustrations, in his task as manager of the team. 100%.  Get on with it, warts and all.

If he wants to give lessons on how to be the right kind of Liverpool supporter though, he can get to fuck.

I and plenty of others have more experience and success at being one of those than him.

He's not giving lessons though and I dont know why people take that stance. Its almost like saying 'we dont give a fuck about you, we are Liverpool' blah, blah, blah.

He wants to create one unitary object, the fans, team and club as one. Criticise what you want but when the team is playing, let's have no dissenting voices.

People may have more experience than him of being a fan but, they dont have his experience of being a manager and trying to win things.

I find it tiresome people can come out with supercilious shit like if he wants to give lessons, he can get to fuck.

He's not giving lessons though and I dont know why people take that stance. Its almost like saying 'we dont give a fuck about you, we are Liverpool' blah, blah, blah.

He wants to create one unitary object, the fans, team and club as one. Criticise what you want but when the team is playing, let's have no dissenting voices.

People may have more experience than him of being a fan but, they dont have his experience of being a manager and trying to win things.

I find it tiresome people can come out with supercilious shit like if he wants to give lessons, he can get to fuck.

That's why I said IF.

And I acknowledged it's his job to manage and win things.

But everyone will make mistakes at Liverpool.  Players, manager, supporters.

I really don't give a shit if you find other people's opinions and speculation tiresome, frankly.

• Upvote 3

That's why I said IF.

And I acknowledged it's his job to manage and win things.

But everyone will make mistakes at Liverpool.  Players, manager, supporters.

I really don't give a shit if you find other people's opinions and speculation tiresome, frankly.

I dont give a shit what you think of my opinions. They're not yours to do anything with.