You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Leicester (a) 19/9/17 - Let's show some bottle in The Milk Cup.

an tha

We've got no chance whatsoever of winning the league or champions league so we really don't have a great array of fish to choose from. We've just chucked one in the bin. Presumably Klopp isn't arsed in the slightest, taking Coutinho off would suggest as much.

Fighting Arsenal and Spurs for 4th it is. I am excite.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure that we do have bigger fish to fry. I've said before that I dont think the club is particularly interested in winning things, and is happy enough with hovering around 4th, maybe getting into top 4 if we're lucky, and keeping the masses happy with "entertaining" football. With the failure to strengthen in the transfer window, the league cup and the FA cup were our best chance of a trophy, and one of those is now gone. I don't know what the bigger fish are- the Arsene Wenger 4th Place Trophy?

I felt sorry for Jurgen watching that interview afterwards- he looked shell shocked. I really can't believe that he honestly thinks there are no other defenders than Van Dyke who can come into the team. I can only guess he thinks criticising the current cretins will be counterproductive, as will openly complaining about the owners, but this is killing his reputation, and cant be good for his health. Not sure what the solution is, but sadly I think this season is going to get uglier on and off the pitch.

Just watched the Klopp interview, he didn't look shell shocked at all!

I'm not sure that we do have bigger fish to fry. I've said before that I dont think the club is particularly interested in winning things, and is happy enough with hovering around 4th, maybe getting into top 4 if we're lucky, and keeping the masses happy with "entertaining" football. With the failure to strengthen in the transfer window, the league cup and the FA cup were our best chance of a trophy, and one of those is now gone. I don't know what the bigger fish are- the Arsene Wenger 4th Place Trophy?

I felt sorry for Jurgen watching that interview afterwards- he looked shell shocked. I really can't believe that he honestly thinks there are no other defenders than Van Dyke who can come into the team. I can only guess he thinks criticising the current cretins will be counterproductive, as will openly complaining about the owners, but this is killing his reputation, and cant be good for his health. Not sure what the solution is, but sadly I think this season is going to get uglier on and off the pitch.

Pretty much sums it up.

Aye it's a fucking shame after high hopes when finishing forth last season and by the start of this season it's been deflating, not sure where we are gonna go from here, I think Jurgen is brilliant but something is a miss. It's early days in the season but top 4 is all we can hope for.

Order of priorities:

1. Premier League

2. Champions League

3. FA Cup

4. League Cup

I'd like to win a trophy, not least because it's been far too long, and winning some silverware is good for any number of reasons. We just got knocked out of the least of the competitions we are in. Most people would say the squad is short at least a couple of key players. If that's the case, and I don't dispute it, then I'm not overly upset about having one less fish to fry.

We laugh at the Arsene Wenger top four trophy, but I would much rather establish ourselves as a top four team than win the league cup. Not as an end in itself, but as a means to an end of competing for bigger prizes.

Anyhow, the team we had out should have done better tonight. We are in a bit of a lull and need to bounce back. Three points at the weekend would be a good start.

• Upvote 1

I just hope the season doesn't pan out like his last at Dortmund, he ended up being a bit of hapless passenger who couldn't influence anything.

He was statistically very unlucky in his last Dortmund season with record injuries and domination of games without winning. 

Quite. Would love to hear about the fall back options he rejected.

Koulibaly and De Vrij were heavily linked.

I think another trophy less season beckons. We still would have had to beat Chelsea and the two manc clubs anyway. All the fun of being a Liverpool fan is being drained away due to our priority of getting in the top 4 which earns the club more cash.

We aren't winning the league and we usually go out of the FA Cup every year now at the early stages. We really have no excuses for not getting out of our CL group as it was a kind draw but again, our mental weakness, substandard squad and shit defence will mean we will probably get a pasting if we play one of the big teams.

Only bright spot from last night was Danny Ward. Even though we lost he didn't have a chance with the two goals but I thought he looked steadier than the other two. He did well catching a ball pumped into the area. The other two wouldn't have come that far or would have tried slapping or punching it away. Someone made a good point that he hasn't been broken by our shit goalkeeping coach yet because he's been on loan for 2 years. I hope he gets more games but looks unlikely given that we've been knocked out.

• Upvote 3

Whenever we've had a decent season in recent times (2008/09, 2013/14, 2016/17) - when we feel like we are progressing, it's followed by shit.

At least we get to face Spurs at Wembley. Coz it's the only way we will get there this season.

That's because we never buy the players to kick on. It's definitely not rocket science.

• Upvote 2

Whenever we've had a decent season in recent times (2008/09, 2013/14, 2016/17) - when we feel like we are progressing, it's followed by shit.

At least we get to face Spurs at Wembley. Coz it's the only way we will get there this season.

Last year was fucking shite as well!

We were just lucky arsenal and united were even shitter.

How do we solve this. It doesn't feel like we actually work on anything or if we do the players ain't listening. We are going to be incredibly reliant on mane and salah to bury their chances because the rest of the team cannot be relied upon.

and that's not really good enough after 2 years and four transfer windows. The drop off in effectiveness is vast without those two players, we just lose games.

He must have thought he could iron out the problems. I can see what he's tried to do and he has actually made some improvements. His comments after the game last night I think show that he's probably reached the same conclusion as we all did a long time ago. Buy better defenders.