You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Sevilla 2 (Sep 13 2017)

tlw content

sevillareport1.jpg

It’s not the worst result in the world as this is such an easy group it really shouldn’t matter what we do against Sevilla. If we can’t qualify ahead of Spartak Moscow and Maribor then we’ve got much bigger problems than any of us realise. Still, this wasn’t much fun. The ability of this team to both delight and infuriate is unmatched. 

Some of the football in the first half was as exciting as anything you’ll see anywhere. Players flying forward like Olympic sprinters and Sevilla not knowing what to do. It should have led to more goals but it didn’t, and when it doesn’t, well…. we all know how that movie usually ends. 

It’s annoying because we owed these one after what happened two years ago. The way the first half was going it really felt like we were going to put a proper beating on Sevilla, which wouldn’t make up for not winning the Europa final but it would have felt good nonetheless. 

Sevilla are snide fuckers. They were snides in that final two years ago and they’re still snides now, even though the coach has changed as have many of the players. It must be in their DNA, as I watched their under 19s taking on Stevie’s lads earlier in the day and that was the same. Dirty, snide, cynical little bastards. They were 4-0 down and in stoppage time one of their lads was rolling around waving an imaginary yellow card trying to get Adam Lewis booked. 

The first team were at it too. Joe Gomez can’t have any complaints about being sent off late on, but you almost have to admire the dedication to shithousing when their lad decides he’s going to go down and then call for a sending off even though it’s in stoppage time and isn’t going to make a difference. Still, when you see the way the coach was acting then it’s hardly surprising. 

What a tit he is. He’d already been warned for throwing the ball away to prevent us taking a throw in, and he went and did the exact same thing. The ref had no choice but to send him packing to the stands, and Klopp had some choice words for him as he left. It looked like the Sevilla coach shouted “fuck you” at Klopp, and his assistants were arguing with Klopp for the rest of the game too. 

So yeah, there’s something about Sevilla that rubs me up the wrong way and I wanted us to really batter them. I thought we would too, as at one point we were absolutely flying. Had Firmino converted the pen this could have been a rout, but that miss proved costly. That’s the thing with us, one moment can often be pivotal as we’re always on a knife edge. There’s no margin for error and when we’re on top we have to kill teams off, because we can’t afford to let anyone hang around with the way we defend. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

• Upvote 1

sevillareport1.jpg

It’s not the worst result in the world as this is such an easy group it really shouldn’t matter what we do against Sevilla. If we can’t qualify ahead of Spartak Moscow and Maribor then we’ve got much bigger problems than any of us realise. Still, this wasn’t much fun. The ability of this team to both delight and infuriate is unmatched.

Some of the football in the first half was as exciting as anything you’ll see anywhere. Players flying forward like Olympic sprinters and Sevilla not knowing what to do. It should have led to more goals but it didn’t, and when it doesn’t, well…. we all know how that movie usually ends.

It’s annoying because we owed these one after what happened two years ago. The way the first half was going it really felt like we were going to put a proper beating on Sevilla, which wouldn’t make up for not winning the Europa final but it would have felt good nonetheless.

Sevilla are snide fuckers. They were snides in that final two years ago and they’re still snides now, even though the coach has changed as have many of the players. It must be in their DNA, as I watched their under 19s taking on Stevie’s lads earlier in the day and that was the same. Dirty, snide, cynical little bastards. They were 4-0 down and in stoppage time one of their lads was rolling around waving an imaginary yellow card trying to get Adam Lewis booked.

The first team were at it too. Joe Gomez can’t have any complaints about being sent off late on, but you almost have to admire the dedication to shithousing when their lad decides he’s going to go down and then call for a sending off even though it’s in stoppage time and isn’t going to make a difference. Still, when you see the way the coach was acting then it’s hardly surprising.

What a tit he is. He’d already been warned for throwing the ball away to prevent us taking a throw in, and he went and did the exact same thing. The ref had no choice but to send him packing to the stands, and Klopp had some choice words for him as he left. It looked like the Sevilla coach shouted “fuck you” at Klopp, and his assistants were arguing with Klopp for the rest of the game too.

So yeah, there’s something about Sevilla that rubs me up the wrong way and I wanted us to really batter them. I thought we would too, as at one point we were absolutely flying. Had Firmino converted the pen this could have been a rout, but that miss proved costly. That’s the thing with us, one moment can often be pivotal as we’re always on a knife edge. There’s no margin for error and when we’re on top we have to kill teams off, because we can’t afford to let anyone hang around with the way we defend.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. If you are not currently registered on the site, sign up for free and receive a FREE no obligation trial subscription, which gives you access to all the members only content for THREE MONTHS.

Load of shite.

• Upvote 1

I reckon we'll actually make it quite difficult to qualify from the group and that it could go down to the final round of games.

I don't think we'll win in Seville and Christ knows how we'll fare in Russia.

I think we'll shit ourselves in Seville - its pretty hostile there and our players won't handle it.

We'll toil in Moscow but probably get a point.

We have defo got a Basel a few years ago type performance in us at home to either Spartak or Maribor - think it will be touch and go us qualifying.

0 pts in Seville

1 in Moscow

4 from the remaining 2 at home

3 pts in Maribor..

9 pts..touch and go

For those who didn't see it its worth looking up Didi Hamman's analysis on Klopp. He was on RTE Irish TV last night and nailed it for me. At this stage its borderline negligence on the defensive issues. And the arrogance and pig-headedness of the Moreno situation its unforgivable now.    

Spot on about the general shithousery from Seville. Really tough on Gomez when they were getting away with cynical blocks on Mane and plenty of late tackles. The ref for the U19s game was a joke, managing to miss a shedload of off-the-ball crap from their youngsters including an elbow in the face of Adam Lewis after the ball had gone.

It's alright calling out Sevilla for shithousery but some of it is the kind of 'shithousery' or nous that we could do with.

It breaks games up - kills time, wins free kicks etc, kills opponents momentum and helps manage games....a lot of winning teams have it in spades.

I wish we had some snide horrible bastards in our team.

• Upvote 6

For those who didn't see it its worth looking up Didi Hamman's analysis on Klopp. He was on RTE Irish TV last night and nailed it for me. At this stage its borderline negligence on the defensive issues. And the arrogance and pig-headedness of the Moreno situation its unforgivable now.    

I've always gotten the impression that Hamann has a personal issue with Klopp. He uses every excuse to question his credentials.

Interested in Dave's comments re getting goal-side,

Mentioned in the 'Mignolet' thread that an alarming 7 out of 8 conceded goals in the league have been scored with no defenders between the scorer and our goalie , and you can add both from last night.

We aren't making it difficult for the opposition at all.

He's attacked well.  He hasn't defended well, his rickets just haven't led to a goal yet.

I'll take your word for that but still think he's worth a place in the team. 

I also think it's a bit harsh to apportion any blame to him for the first goal.  I'm sure everyone in the stadium thought Lovren would get something on that ball.  The Sevilla forward couldn't believe his luck. 

I thought Mane and Salah were quite poor in the second half. They became far too predictable and were easily dispossesed and, with the attack not working, the other components of the team started to fall apart. In the end, we were hanging on ofr the draw.

The TV commentators pointed out how the penalty miss silenced Anfield. Think most of us suspected what was going to happen.

I watched the match on RTE and the commentators referenced us going forward as "the Red Arrows" made me chuckle that did as we are awesome in attack just a shame we couldn't of got our Summer targets as we'd be flying.

What has happened to Milner has he been shagging Klopps wife as he was one of our most consistent preformers last last season??

I reckon we'll actually make it quite difficult to qualify from the group and that it could go down to the final round of games.

I don't think we'll win in Seville and Christ knows how we'll fare in Russia.

I don't think we'll find qualification too difficult.

The problem is that finishing 2nd does not do us a lot of good. Come February the squad is going to be in a bad, patched up state, which is not ideal if we get PSG, Barca, Madrid etc.

I'll take your word for that but still think he's worth a place in the team. 

I also think it's a bit harsh to apportion any blame to him for the first goal.  I'm sure everyone in the stadium thought Lovren would get something on that ball.  The Sevilla forward couldn't believe his luck. 

What if the player had chipped it over Lovren's head? You can't leave players unmarked like that regardless of what you think may or may not happen. You get goal side and worry about the rest later.