You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fallen (Former) Heroes

skend04

This might not be as controversial a thread as the Transgender one but events in recent weeks have got me thinking. Aung San Suu Kyi. She's gone from a political prisoner who won the Nobel Peace Prize to now being the face of social cleansing in Myanmar. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind against the Burmese government atrocities whilst she was held captive and now the silence is deafening whilst the army and Buddhists kill and cleanse away the Rohingya Muslims.

I'm struggling to think of many that match that fall from grace so let's open it up the forum.

• Upvote 3

This might not be as controversial a thread as the Transgender one but events in recent weeks have got me thinking. Aung San Suu Kyi. She's gone from a political prisoner who won the Nobel Peace Prize to now being the face of social cleansing in Myanmar. She wasn't afraid to speak her mind against the Burmese government atrocities whilst she was held captive and now the silence is deafening whilst the army and Buddhists kill and cleanse away the Rohingya Muslims.

I'm struggling to think of many that match that fall from grace so let's open it up the forum.

Was thinking along those lines myself, shows she's human I suppose and therefore fallible, but depressing all the same!

Jimmy Saville is an obvious one.

He was always classed as a bit of an oddball but mainly known for how much he raised for charity (an estimated £40 million), now he's, rightly, one of the most reviled people of the last 50 years

Strange reading the glowing obituaries after he died knowing what was to come. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-15507374