You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite books from your childhood

Tony Moanero

Used to love reading these as a kid my brother would buy them and just leave them lying around, scared the shit out of me obviously but great to read......

t407.jpg

51ruvz2aPgL.jpg

And I remember reading this at school thought it was a brilliant book at the time by Keith Waterhouse

9781939140616.jpg

• Upvote 2

All the Enid Blyton ones and Roald Dahl. Then when I was 12 - 13 used to like reading James Herbert. The Rats trilogy I remember was good. Don't know if it's aged well. Read Hollywood Wives when I was about 11-12 and enjoyed the sex scenes. How times have changed for kids today. They can just go on Xhamster on their smart phones!

I remember way back in junior school the teachers used to read us a book called Little Black Sambo. From what I remember it was a cracking little story of a tiger chasing a little black boy round a cooking pot, but several decades removed I can't help thinking that perhaps their was a slight racial undercurrent to that book.

Unbelievable really and no wonder it's taking so fucking long to rid our societies of racism when books like that were acceptable social norms and actively pushed upon impressionable young kids by the teachers themselves.

A few years later I also loved Kes and Lord of The Flies, just like PB.

I loved that book

I used to collect all of the Alfred Hitchcock Presents...The Three Investigators series.

Anything with Alfred Hitchcock's name on it I used to buy.  I now recognise that I was an obsessive collector even when I was 12.

Jupiter Jones was my hero.  But I also liked Pete Crenshaw and the other one...

By the way, I can't believe the number of people who think they did English O Level when they were 13.  They were either precocious geniuses, or they've lost a good two years of their schooling memories...

• Upvote 1

I read a lot when I was a kid (pre-internet era) and most of my favourites have been mentioned already.

- Game books, especially Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf and Way of the Tiger

- Roald Dahl, still love them to this day, and his adult fiction is superb too

- Enid Blyton (Famous Five and Secret Seven of course, but the less well known Five Find-Outers were the best) - even though my English teacher criticised me in school when I was 11 for reading "Noddy books"

- Loads of books by Usborne. Always had loads of ace pictures. They did history books on vikings, castles etc and nature spotters books, and puzzle adventure books. All excellent. Oh shit, and books on ghosts and demons and things, they were brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Anyone remember chose your own adventure books.

Think they have them away free with Weetabix

7468d136eb8fbc3b34735aafbb349055.jpg

I defo had a copy of the Robin Hood one, and a few others

I had a few of them, but they couldn't hold a candle to stuff like Fighting Fantasy, they were more like branching stories than out and out fantasy games.

They churned them out by the boatload too, they were like the Mills & Boon of children's game books.

(I also had the Robin Hood one)

I read a lot when I was a kid (pre-internet era) and most of my favourites have been mentioned already.

- Game books, especially Fighting Fantasy, Lone Wolf and Way of the Tiger

- Roald Dahl, still love them to this day, and his adult fiction is superb too

- Enid Blyton (Famous Five and Secret Seven of course, but the less well known Five Find-Outers were the best) - even though my English teacher criticised me in school when I was 11 for reading "Noddy books"

- Loads of books by Usborne. Always had loads of ace pictures. They did history books on vikings, castles etc and nature spotters books, and puzzle adventure books. All excellent. Oh shit, and books on ghosts and demons and things, they were brilliant.

Repped for Usborne.