You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

24 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The "strange example" was yours.

I'm absolutely saying prisoners should have rights and protections in prisons.

You're arguing that trans women should be sent to men's prisons.

Where do you think the greater risk of rape is?

((Has the word "mental" assumed the status of the word "over" in radio exchanges? Mental.)

I’m saying trans women shouldn’t go in women’s prisons. 

33 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

It affects ALL women.

Nah, it doesn't. It has very minor implications for some women. It has serious implications for very few women, who should be protected. Even then, it's not a massive issue in the global perspective, but it does have undue prominence in the global discussion. Well, in the west. 

5 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

Ok, now  I see why  you find it curious.

Do you though? Because I don't think you do, I think you think about a thing differently to me and you're trying to belittle my knowledge in order to imply my view has less credibility than yours. I don't think it's curious because I'm ignorant or stupid, I think it's curious because I'm implying that it is being unduly inflated as an issue with underhanded political motivations.  Anyway, I accidentally hit send on my phone instead of space, so I added more information to the last post as you were sending your reply. 

12 hours ago, redheart said:

One example Eddie Izzard always said he was a TV. He is a man who enjoys dressing as a woman. Now he claims he is transgender and hence is identifying as a woman. Thus he demands to be treated as a woman to be fast tracked to a seat as a Labour MP reserved for women. How is this not taking anything away from a woman?

That's not actually true, though, is it.

I don't think he has ever either applied to stand as a Labour MP (let alone try to get onto a women-only shortlist) nor does he identify as a woman.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I think you missed ‘sorry, you were right’ from your post. 

I think I missed the bit where what you said about Skend wasn't an invention of yours. But at least I now understand why you feel it was justified.

• Upvote 1

You've framed the issue in a certain way that makes it curious to you.  Others frame it differently.

Long oppressed group suddenly given a voice, fights for rights (some impinging on those of others).  Arguments hijacked and corrupted by over-simplifiers, click-baiters and bandwagon jumpers of related causes.

It's prime time stuff.  It's the perfect platform, you can strut your social justice stuff or show-off your goose-step.

4 minutes ago, Rotpeter said:

You've framed the issue in a certain way that makes it curious to you.  Others frame it differently.

Long oppressed group suddenly given a voice, fights for rights (some impinging on those of others).  Arguments hijacked and corrupted by over-simplifiers, click-baiters and bandwagon jumpers of related causes.

It's prime time stuff.  It's the perfect platform, you can strut your social justice stuff or show-off your goose-step.

Again, you've just listed some of the reasons I find it curious. I fear I might have left too much room for interoperation, trusting that people who have read what I written in the last ten years wouldn't instantly think I'm anti-trans or something. Duff jumped to the conclusion, I was hoping my clarification to him cleared that up. 

It actually is quite a complex, multifaceted issue with rights as you rightly write impacting the rights of others. That said, its complexity doesn't correlate with the size of the issue and its prominence in the global discussion. It is being weaponised and twisted by the right, and even by those who would normally be considered to be socially liberal, as an attack on women. All women. It just isn't. There are some unintended, fringe cases where it might. I heartily agree that those issues need mitigating. Still, rights are needed. 

7 minutes ago, Numero said:

Hey, @Pidge how do you change your tag line thingy to 'stop blaming the beans'. I can't find the option. HELP. 

think it was an older version of the site. Looked a while back and couldn't see how to change it, now it stands as a reminder of my dedication to random Simpsons quotes.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I'm sorry to break this to you but the obsession with what Internet meanies say to JK Rowling is a tiny bit less relavant to the rest of us than it is to you

I think the way you are compelled to read and comment on things I post is one of the worst things about the internet.  Surprising how I managed to get it into the T&Cs to be honest.  But I’m sneaky.  

Anyway, Mermaids think that any mental disorder can mean you are trans. 

perhaps you could post a picture of your testicles to restore the balance.  

10 hours ago, aRdja said:

This does show a certain level of commitment, unlike say someone who is a bloke with a  penis, testicles and beard claiming to be lesbian.  Not to see that point, or ignore it doesn’t exist is absolutely fucking stupid.  But there you go.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This does show a certain level of commitment, unlike say someone who is a bloke with a bird, penis, testicles and beard claiming to be lesbian.  Not to see that point, or ignore it doesn’t exist is absolutely fucking stupid.  But there you go.  

Rico is correct. The Brazilian model has transitioned etc. There is a clear case of gender dysphoria here.

This is clearly different from some 25 year old bloke, who looks like a bloke, has stubble but wears girls shoes and claims that makes them a lesbian with a ladycock