You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

2 hours ago, moof said:

Exactly. 

Not at all helpful, this bollocks 

I mean, the fact he can call himself a woman whilst entering women's competition and then immediately going back to being a man, with no actual change, is ridiculous. But he's not doing it to make a political point, he's doing it because the sly fucker has spotted an opening for some promotion. 

5 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

I mean, the fact he can call himself a woman whilst entering women's competition and then immediately going back to being a man, with no actual change, is ridiculous. 

Is that actually something that people can do, though? I’m sure there’s more to it than that

31 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

But he's not doing it to make a political point, he's doing it because the sly fucker has spotted an opening for some promotion. 

According to him it was to prove a point - so are you saying she is lying?

"...the idea that one can simply identify as whatever they want - not even permanently, just based on your emotions and feelings at the time."

48 minutes ago, moof said:

Is that actually something that people can do, though? I’m sure there’s more to it than that

That’s pretty much exactly what happened in this case. 

20 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

According to him it was to prove a point - so are you saying she is lying?

"...the idea that one can simply identify as whatever they want - not even permanently, just based on your emotions and feelings at the time."

That’s exactly what I’m saying, yeah. 

Just now, Hank Moody said:

That’s pretty much exactly what happened in this case. 

That’s exactly what I’m saying, yeah. 

Yeah but he didn’t actually enter any competition did he? He just went to a gym, as far as I can tell

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

This is real. 

Yeah, I'm surprised you support it to be honest. You've never actually given an opinion on any of this stuff you post, so I can only assume that you post it to show the links up and you're fully in support of Trans rights. Good man, now if we can just get you off of the racist apologies, you might become tolerable. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/connecticut-transgender-athletes-face-federal-discrimination-complaint-from-females-over-title-ix-violations/

There’s a situation in Connecticut at the moment where a trio of high-school athletes have filed a complaint over the participation of some trans-females. Essentially, the trans-girls are currently allowed to run unconditionally on the basis of self-ID. There’s not even the pre-requisite of hormonal treatment or puberty-blockers and to compound the issue, some of the trans-girls ran as boys a couple of years ago and were mediocre at best. Now they’re winning regularly.

I think it’s a real sadness that people are immediately adjudged to be bigoted if they don’t embrace this situation without reservation. It seems to me that there’s no place for nuance or discussion. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think it’s a real sadness that people are immediately adjudged to be bigoted if they don’t embrace this situation without reservation. It seems to me that there’s no place for nuance or discussion. 

Its the same as being called anti-semitic for condoning Israel killing innocent Palestinians. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/connecticut-transgender-athletes-face-federal-discrimination-complaint-from-females-over-title-ix-violations/

There’s a situation in Connecticut at the moment where a trio of high-school athletes have filed a complaint over the participation of some trans-females. Essentially, the trans-girls are currently allowed to run unconditionally on the basis of self-ID. There’s not even the pre-requisite of hormonal treatment or puberty-blockers and to compound the issue, some of the trans-girls ran as boys a couple of years ago and were mediocre at best. Now they’re winning regularly.

Quite interesting documentary on BBC a few nights back with Martina Navratilova looking at the issues after she was criticised for suggesting that it was unfair to female athletes to have trans athletes parachuted into their events. Very complex subject , but I genuinely think that you should need to be a fair way down the road to gender reassignment before it becomes an option. 

35 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

There was a guy who was ranked about 200 in men’s high school 200m. She’s now the state record holder. 

On 21/05/2019 at 20:09, Six Buoys said:

That cunt Trump has opened the door on everything. Shame there isn't a campaign against old white men in bad wigs.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Quite interesting documentary on BBC a few nights back with Martina Navratilova looking at the issues after she was criticised for suggesting that it was unfair to female athletes to have trans athletes parachuted into their events. Very complex subject , but I genuinely think that you should need to be a fair way down the road to gender reassignment before it becomes an option. 

I've heard about the documentary, but have yet to watch.

One argument that I hear a lot is that “oh, athletes come in all manner of shapes / sizes and are genetically gifted anyway” but that still doesn’t mitigate against the biological differences between sexes, which for me should immediately remove the option of competing without extensive reassignment treatment having taken place. (Beyond that, I’m still trying to figure out how I feel - if one transitioned at 25, would there be certain immutable advantages as a result of having developed into adulthood as a male-bodied person?)

For example, the US Women's team are the best side at the World Cup and have generally dominated the game for almost three decades. In 2012, they played the men's Under-17s before going to the Olympics (where they won gold) and got smashed 8-2. So that’s the elite, best of the best women's team playing men who, to put it kindly, were never likely to go on to be globally renowned. A couple of years ago they played the FC Dallas Under-15s and lost 5-2. Now, these were informal friendly games which clearly removes most of the edge, but I don’t think for a second that these elite women would deliberately lose even a park kick-about against men / boys who won’t be bothering the men's World Cup anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

There is obviously a very tricky situation when it comes to sport, due to the physiological advantages of developing as a male rather than a female.

However, it seems to me that this very small athletics issue is being used as a Trojan horse by conservative commentators to whip up hate against non-athlete trans people who are some of the most marginalised and vulnerable in society.

• Upvote 2