You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

1 hour ago, moof said:

AC454BFB-7A2A-4813-B754-E5244C50C487.gif

No offence intended here moof, but you sort of prove the point RedShift is making. 

You have consistently misrepresented what Peterson has said many times. Fair enough you may not agree with him at all (I find him a fascinating listen and he talks a lot sense, I don’t agree with it all) but at least don’t twist what he is saying.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

No offence intended here moof, but you sort of prove the point RedShift is making. 

You have consistently misrepresented what Peterson has said many times. Fair enough you may not agree with him at all (I find him a fascinating listen and he talks a lot sense, I don’t agree with it all) but at least don’t twist what he is saying.

It is funny to watch and funny to see some of the people traditionally on the left complaining about it.  

8 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He's a businessman and little else.  He's capitalising on the chance to use his skillset to partake in the angry young man self-help industry.

Nah, I feel you’re way off the mark there Pidge.

He’s a University professor who was initially challenging the status quo in the Canadian academic world on its forcing of gender neutral and other He’s an expert in his field and has been putting his lectures on YouTube way before he became the businessman you claim him to be.

Everybody who has tried to challenge him on his views has been made to look a fool because they totally misinterpret and misrepresent his views.

However he doesn’t help himself as he is very black or white with very little grey. Nothing he says is wrong about the “angry young man” group, it is all common sense just not the fluffy kind that a lot of self help generally stuff tends to be. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pidge said:

He's a businessman and little else.

I think that’s unfair and inaccurate. He’s certainly milking his new-found fame for every penny, but he clearly is more than that. You just need to take a brief look at his career to see that, having worked as an associate professor at Harvard for half a decade, a professor in Toronto, and a practicing clinical psychologist for almost his entire career. 

I’ve got no issue with people disagreeing with him and pulling his arguments apart. In fact, I encourage it. But it seems like people either want to call him stupid, evil, or a mixture of both. He’s a well credentialed, clearly intelligent man who seems willing to debate and talk about these things at length. If his arguments are so poor, or he’s just a snake oil salesmen, then it should be easy to rip his stuff to shreds. 

• Upvote 2

He's selling books and tickets and building a brand.  I haven't called him evil, stupid or anything else, nor have I questioned his academic credentials.  However, I have very little interest in what he has to say, whenever I do look at it it's often riddled with conjecture that feels designed to appeal to his target market.  Little more than my intuitive perspective, but I just see him as another cynical act in a destructive industry.

Also Skids, the vast majority of self-help is just a matter of trying to frame common sense as a new kind of wisdom.

editediteditlastonehonest: I actually think he's refined the "alpha-dog dark triad" cod philosophy of recent years (that's made rape apologists and outright racists plenty of cash) into something that can pass off as having intellectual weight, but generally amounts to appealing to bias, incumbency or the same old mourning for the values of a phony yesteryear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Where is the best place to start with the Peterson stuff. Was talking to my mum who been listening to him. Like others here she said she doesn't agree with everything but she likes a good deal of stuff he says and says he is misinterpreted a lot

Start with the Rogan shows or others? 

Im the same way with Rogan at times he's talks dribble and pisses me off. Other times he makes sense. The podcast on the whole can be great with the right guests and you do not get many podcast that get the range of guests and have the time frame to fully delve into points

This is a really good one, at least the first 40 minutes I've listened to. I agree with responsibility, but they really downplay the effects of capitalism. No condemnation of meat-eating and the responsibility of not destroying the planet. Definite right-wing bias but the psychological stuff is spot on.

• Upvote 1

So, I’ve watched a fair amount of interviews and lectures from Peterson now, and I think I’m ready to make a judgement. I think he’s very intelligent, a significant intellectual thinker, somebody who makes every effort not to fall into the ideological or partisan constraints of having to espouse certain views, and I think his detractors lack evidence of him being transphobic, racists, etc. I respect his application of logic and reasoning. 

But it I still love moof more than any of you fuckers. So fuck Peterson. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Is there any evidence at all that he is sponsored by the Koch brothers? 

Saw this thread before from Peter Coffin. He’s been taking the Koch dollar his entire career (appearances on far far right Rebel Media, for example), constantly promotes Koch outlets and regurgitates Koch talking points. 

There’s a well established relationship. 

(Love you too, bbz)

2 hours ago, Hades said:

This is a really good one, at least the first 40 minutes I've listened to. I agree with responsibility, but they really downplay the effects of capitalism. No condemnation of meat-eating and the responsibility of not destroying the planet. Definite right-wing bias but the psychological stuff is spot on.

Fucking hell, talking of Kochs. 

Hades, wtf bro