You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

18 minutes ago, moof said:

One example among many, I’ll have a better look once I’m back home later on, mate.

He’s certainly far from sensible but usually keeps it vague enough so that he maintains a level of plausible deniability. 

There are also thousands of receipts for his rabid transphobia, climate change denial, misogyny and myriad other archaic and batshit views

Have you actually watched this clip?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Moof, with respect, you're working from a wrong series of assumptions. I too used to think all conservatives were evil. Jonathan Haidt woke me up to the fact they're working from a different moral framework. Their self-victimisation is a bit galling, but you need to know how they think before you can rebut them. Calling them names only strengthens their position.

Have a look at this:

Just now, Hades said:

Moof, with respect, you're working from a wrong series of assumptions. I too used to think all conservatives were evil. Jonathan Haidt woke me up to the fact they're working from a different moral framework. Their self-victimisation is a bit galling, but you need to know how they think before you can rebut them. Calling them names only strengthens their position.

Have a look at this:

For the record I am indeed, evil. 

Mwah ha ha ha ha 

2 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

Peterson talks some sense and some bollocks. Like pretty much everyone else (well, with the obvious exception of course).  His religion stuff is so crazy even he can’t tell you what he thinks.  

Unexpected, but thanks for the compliment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Because I’m lazy, I watched the first couple of videos and then looked at that Twitter account (zei_nabq), which seems solely dedicated to discrediting Peterson (which, if accurate, I’ve no issue with). I do have an issue with some of the things they said in their tweet not matching what is happening in the video they linked. For example, at no point does he actually argue that ‘what Hitler and the Nazis did’ (and we all know what is meant by that) was, well, anything. I listened to that clip four times just to be sure I wasn’t missing something. He isn’t excusing anyone or anything, as far as I can tell. The clear implication by zei_nabq is that he’s an apologist for Nazi crimes, war, the Holocaust, etc. That’s just hideous, if going by that clip. For all I know, he could have a giant swastika on his chest, but that clip is just a description of real events. Had he gone on to say ‘and that’s why it’s okay for the Nazis to kill everyone’, there would have been a solid point.

You know me nd my political views from many years of twattery here, so I feel comfortable that you won’t take that as me defending the guy or everything he says, I’m no fanboy of his. I know your views and trust your judgment well enough to know he must push out a lot of crank shit for you to think he’s such a cunt, so I’ll carry on looking over the stuff you sent. I bet that climate change thing is going to piss me off.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Because I’m lazy, I watched the first couple of videos and then looked at that Twitter account (zei_nabq), which seems solely dedicated to discrediting Peterson (which, if accurate, I’ve no issue with). I do have an issue with some of the things they said in their tweet not matching what is happening in the video they linked. For example, at no point does he actually argue that ‘what Hitler and the Nazis did’ (and we all know what is meant by that) was, well, anything. I listened to that clip four times just to be sure I wasn’t missing something. He isn’t excusing anyone or anything, as far as I can tell. The clear implication by zei_nabq is that he’s an apologist for Nazi crimes, war, the Holocaust, etc. That’s just hideous, if going by that clip. For all I know, he could have a giant swastika on his chest, but that clip is just a description of real events. Had he gone on to say ‘and that’s why it’s okay for the Nazis to kill everyone’, there would have been a solid point.

You know me nd my political views from many years of twattery here, so I feel comfortable that you won’t take that as me defending the guy or everything he says, I’m no fanboy of his. I know your views and trust your judgment well enough to know he must push out a lot of crank shit for you to think he’s such a cunt, so I’ll carry on looking over the stuff you sent. I bet that climate change thing is going to piss me off.

That’s fair enough, mate. I read it as being completely dismissive of Hitler’s agenda by stating he was following mob rule, and thus putting the crimes in the context of “circumstances” reduces them, somewhat. He leaves it slightly ambiguous, as usual, so I’ll admit my criticism is coming from a slightly bad faith position which makes me more susceptible to an unkind reading of subtext. 

Yeah, the climate change stuff is profoundly stupid, at best. At worst, complete shill behaviour. 

12 hours ago, rico1304 said:

Peterson talks some sense and some bollocks. Like pretty much everyone else (well, with the obvious exception of course).  His religion stuff is so crazy even he can’t tell you what he thinks.  

It's pretty simple, if you have ever studied mythology re: Joseph Campbell and 'The Power Of Myth' - a huge series from the 90's that can still be viewed on YouTube. Mythological stories help us make sense of life on a deep and profound level. Rituals are the enactment of a myth.

Also, Peterson espouses  Neitzke - who famously declared 'God is dead' and then predicted Totalitarianism to replace the death of God, because 'nature abhors a vacuum', and people need something to believe in, as well as 'participating in a social hierarchy'

Peterson's whole trip seems to be 'choose your hierarchy carefully and keep the dialogue going, or the danger in a non religious world is that extreme hierarchies on both the left and the right will spring up.'