You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

59 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You’re either stupid, deliberately obtuse, or fucking bonkers. I don’t think it’s the first.

I used to play football as a kid. Since leaving school I’ve only ever played on a casual, non-competitive level. I’m like the vast majority of people. For a good while I played in a 5-a-side team that arranged games against another group that had two women playing in their side. They managed just fine against us big strong men with our “superior aim”. Cause we’re all generally just playing for a bit of fun and not that good. That’s MOST PEOPLE.

there was an article in the news a fair few years ago now of a trans woman up here in Leeds who was barred for playing for her amateur league women’s team even though she was legally recognised as a woman. Her teammates were upset about it and she was excluded from playing sport. Are you telling me that’s the price you’re pleased with? Who is winning from that?

I'm not too fussed either about sport for fun or fitness, as long as people aren't put in additional danger.  

But what about in professional or elite sports?  Just because there aren't great numbers now doesn't mean there never will be, and potentially in a short space of time.  People seriously underestimate "visibility matters".

7 minutes ago, Moo said:

I'm not too fussed either about sport for fun or fitness, as long as people aren't put in additional danger.  

But what about in professional or elite sports?  Just because there aren't great numbers now doesn't mean there never will be, and potentially in a short space of time.  People seriously underestimate "visibility matters".

I think at elite level it’s something authorities need to think hard about and keep trying to work out. And I don’t think it’s easy. I also don’t think it’s worthy of scare mongering and shouting (not you) at this point in time. Unless you have alternative reasons to want to scaremonger and shout, that is (not you).

6 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I’m going. You’re insufferable in the way to constantly twist what I’ve written to try and make it some kind of different story.

For the record, my opinion is that PEDs probably aren’t an issue in most women’s amateur sports. Their probably not an issue in most men’s amateur sport either. Obviously strength based sports like boxing and weightlifting there might be, but I’m sure the authorities can have a think about it. I don’t expect it’s an

issue in recreational hockey, netball or football though.

the VAST majority of ALL sport played in this country is played for competitive fun. That’s what amateur sport is.

At every level of footy I’ve ever played since leaving school, there’s been at least one or two lads that were genuinely shite. Like proper rubbish. Actual MEN who are crap at football. Put them in a women’s league and the opposition would be delighted. Yeah, they’re be taller probably, and maybe have stronger bones, and better aim obviously (what?) but they’d still be shite.

so the thrust of my argument is that most trans women won’t be trying to play sport beyond “for fun” recreational level, if at all. Like the fucking rest of us.

those few that are, and genuinely are transitioning to live as women and want to compete at a high level of sport probably ought to expect some hurdles (especially if they want to run the hurdles) and the authorities need to think hard about how they manage it and ensure fairness and will probably make mistakes along the way, but the VAST majority of trans women will not be causing your sleepless nights on this issue - which is why it’s so irritating when you use it as a colourful distraction point.

If it’s a level of competitiveness that can be considered recreational, then the world would be better if it can be tolerant enough to let people in. Although, I hope they don’t go on to rape their teammates in the showers which is probably the only reason they’re ALL really doing it the dastardly deviants.

Out. Night. Try not to have nightmares about trans women hiding under your bed, with their super straight and incredible aim.

x

The old ‘it won’t happen’ argument. After pages of ‘it’s happening’.  

Since 2000 3,000 boys have beaten the women’s 100m world record.  

54 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

the standard of women’s football is not just inferior to the standard of men’s football because of puberty alone though is it?

Rico said theres 121k registered women footballers in the uk, how many males are there? One or two more I’d guess?

Looks like Rico underestimated - from the 2015 FA State of tye Game report:..

“8.2 million adults of which 6.25 million are men and 2.03 million are women

3.35 million children, aged 5-15 or which 2.49 million are boys and 860,000 are girls.”

I assume similar numbers will exist in most places - perhaps the US is an outlier to that where men’s football has never been a staple. Maybe? I don’t know.

So there’s a much smaller pool of talent.

There’s far fewer coaches, far fewer scouts, training facilities and academies. 

Then there’s the level of competition faced.   Iron sharpens iron? 

all of those factor into why gremio u-16 might trounce the women’s national team.

yeah, genetics and puberty plays a part but it’s not isolated. And that also counts as elite sport, so best be sure the authorities have a plan for if all those lads suddenly start transitioning to being women.

I can never understand why is that even controversial, if you are a biological male, you cannot compete in a restricted women's category, you can, however, freely remain in a non-restricted category (or enter it) and play football as a trans woman. In reality, there is no "men's football" (or any other sport), there is football and there is "women's" football", which is restricted to participants who are women. And there is a reason for that, which nobody needs explaining.

On the other hand, if it doesn't matter, there is no clear biological advantage, trans women can compete, or play for fun, in the nonrestrictive category. The category in which most of these people began playing or competing anyway. If one of our players decides to transition, we can start calling him she, and she can continue playing for us, no problem. No need to drop a hundred pay grades and play against people who cannot ran as fast, jump as high, hit/kick the ball as hard etc. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I can never understand why is that even controversial, if you are a biological male, you cannot compete in a restricted women's category, you can, however, freely remain in a non-restricted category (or enter it) and play football as a trans woman. In reality, there is no "men's football" (or any other sport), there is football and there is "women's" football", which is restricted to participants who are women. And there is a reason for that, which nobody needs explaining.

On the other hand, if it doesn't matter, there is no clear biological advantage, trans women can compete, or play for fun, in the nonrestrictive category. The category in which most of these people began playing or competing anyway. If one of our players decides to transition, we can start calling him she, and she can continue playing for us, no problem. No need to drop a hundred pay grades and play against people who cannot ran as fast, jump as high, hit/kick the ball as hard etc. 

You’d think wouldn’t you.  

On 15/09/2021 at 16:50, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I used to play football with a girl. I pushed her over and broke her arm. Always felt guilty about that.

It hasn't aided the discussion, but at least I've unburdened myself.

That reminds me of playing 5-a-side in first year of university with mixed sex teams. One of the girls picked up a nasty knock and had to go to hospital. Nothing to do with me, I hasten to add. Nevertheless there does seem to be a pattern here.

55 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That reminds me of playing 5-a-side in first year of university with mixed sex teams. One of the girls picked up a nasty knock and had to go to hospital. Nothing to do with me, I hasten to add. Nevertheless there does seem to be a pattern here.

We let the lass with a broken arm walk home alone, crying, as we thought she was being over-dramatic.

Not my most chivalrous display.

• Upvote 1

So this Cece Taylor (I hadn't heard of, nor Craig Telfer) has won an NCAA title, I'm sure all those devastated by this can tell me all about who came second and why it has destroyed their career. I googled this person and it came out with the following: Telfer sought to compete in the 2020 Olympic Trials in the 400-meter hurdles, and was initially accepted into the field. She was later removed from the event after USA Track & Field determined that she did not meet the testosterone threshold for transgender athletes.

Surely this is a win for the likes of Trump, Rico and other anti-trans types? But please, continue to lose sleep over it.

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

So this Cece Taylor (I hadn't heard of, nor Craig Telfer) has won an NCAA title, I'm sure all those devastated by this can tell me all about who came second and why it has destroyed their career. I googled this person and it came out with the following: Telfer sought to compete in the 2020 Olympic Trials in the 400-meter hurdles, and was initially accepted into the field. She was later removed from the event after USA Track & Field determined that she did not meet the testosterone threshold for transgender athletes.

Surely this is a win for the likes of Trump, Rico and other anti-trans types? But please, continue to lose sleep over it.

How am I anti trans?  CeCe was a below average boy, now is an exceptional woman.  You’ve obviously missed out the bit of the article where she says she’s looking to qualify for the next Olympics.  Why’s that? 

Fucking hilarious to be lumped in with trump by a bloke who used to boast about indecent exposure. 

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Think u r over simplifying there. People who think trans athletes shouldnt compete with people born as females are not necessarily anti trans.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Think u r over simplifying there. People who think trans athletes shouldnt compete with people born as females are not necessarily anti trans.

This. Although the discourse around it would at times suggest otherwise.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

How am I anti trans?  CeCe was a below average boy, now is an exceptional woman.  You’ve obviously missed out the bit of the article where she says she’s looking to qualify for the next Olympics.  Why’s that? 

Fucking hilarious to be lumped in with trump by a bloke who used to boast about indecent exposure. 

The disrespectful way you mention transwomen throughout the thread and the obsessive desire to find pretty onscure scenarios to tar all trans people with. It drips off every post. 

I imagine she wants to qualify for the next Olympics because she is an Athlete who enjoys competing. I didn't mention that because it wasn't on a Wikipedia article I read about her. Not sure what point you are making though. 

Perhaps mentioning Trump was a little below the belt though, he also came up in the article so that's why I mentioned it, you don't deserve to be compared to him, so for that I apologise. 

36 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I agree. 

27 minutes ago, Moo said:

This. Although the discourse around it would at times suggest otherwise.

Example? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Remmie said:

The disrespectful way you mention trans women throughout the thread and the obsessive desire to find pretty onscure scenarios to tat all trans people with. It drips off every post. 

I agree. 

Example? 

Hold on, since when is telling the truth disrespectful? And is disrespect now the bar for a ‘phobia’?  

These aren’t obscure scenarios- I’ve given examples and names to exactly counter this point.  You can Google the names and get proof instead of accusing me of scaremongering.  There are men in women’s prisons, there are men in women’s rape counselling centres policing the victims and men beating up women for money.  

Here’s a question for you, are trans women a subset of men or a subset of women.  Easiest question in the world.