You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

I see Dawkins (who I think is a bit of a dick) has been caught and slightly cancelled for asking a provocative question.  

The American Humanist Association has withdrawn its humanist of the year award from Richard Dawkins, 25 years after he received the honour, criticising the academic and author for “demean[ing] marginalised groups” using “the guise of scientific discourse”.

The AHA honoured Dawkins, whose books include The Selfish Gene and The God Delusion, in 1996 for his “significant contributions” in communicating scientific concepts to the public. On Monday, it announced that it was withdrawing the award, referring to a tweet sent by Dawkins earlier this month, in which he compared trans people to Rachel Dolezal, the civil rights activist who posed as a black woman for years.

“In 2015, Rachel Dolezal, a white chapter president of NAACP, was vilified for identifying as Black,” wrote Dawson on Twitter. “Some men choose to identify as women, and some women choose to identify as men. You will be vilified if you deny that they literally are what they identify as. Discuss.”

Dawkins later responded to criticism, writing: “I do not intend to disparage trans people. I see that my academic ‘Discuss’ question has been misconstrued as such and I deplore this. It was also not my intent to ally in any way with Republican bigots in US now exploiting this issue.”

Among his critics was Alison Gill, vice president for legal and policy at American Atheists and a trans woman. She said Dawkins’ comments reinforce dangerous and harmful narratives. She said: “Given the repercussions for the millions of trans people in this country, in this one life we have to live, as an atheist and as a trans woman, I hope that Professor Dawkins treats this issue with greater understanding and respect in the future.”

In 2015, Dawkins also wrote: “Is trans woman a woman? Purely semantic. If you define by chromosomes, no. If by self-identification, yes. I call her “she” out of courtesy.”

In a statement from its board, the AHA said that Dawkins had “over the past several years accumulated a history of making statements that use the guise of scientific discourse to demean marginalised groups, an approach antithetical to humanist values”.

The evolutionary biologist’s latest comment, the board said, “implies that the identities of transgender individuals are fraudulent, while also simultaneously attacking Black identity as one that can be assumed when convenient”, while his “subsequent attempts at clarification are inadequate and convey neither sensitivity nor sincerity”.

“Consequently, the AHA Board has concluded that Richard Dawkins is no longer deserving of being honored by the AHA, and has voted to withdraw, effective immediately, the 1996 Humanist of the Year award,” said the organisation.

Imagine holding the idea that men can self-identify as women as an article of faith, but rubbishing out of hand the notion that white people can self-identify as black. Richard Dawkins is paying the price for poking holes in their "logic".

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Imagine holding the idea that men can self-identify as women as an article of faith, but rubbishing out of hand the notion that white people can self-identify as black. Richard Dawkins is paying the price for poking holes in their "logic".

I raised the race issue a while ago, it causes mayhem because it forces people who pretend to care about such things to say one thing is sacrosanct but the other is not. It's quite funny to watch because it causes visible total systems failure. 

I could have surgery to make myself look black but I can never know what it's like to be a 'black man', and if I went on a march for BLM and started talking about how I feared for my life when I got stopped by the police, I'd rightly get called out by a lot of these very people for my bullshit. 

But by the same token, there's more to being a woman than looking like a woman. A man who becomes a woman can never know the fear of being in a taxi alone, being passed over for promotion or being the butt of jokes. I believe JK Rowling was saying something similar when she was talking about stuff like domestic abuse but got ran out of Twitter town for her trouble. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I wonder if self ID would be accepted elsewhere?  Like, I self ID as a surgeon, or even a person who’s competent to drive a car.  We make people commit a level of effort in order to gain rights all the time. 

I self-identify as devastatingly attractive to women. Unfortunately most women are obviously total bigots.