You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Interestingly enough, it has zero impact on you, or anybody else either.

If someone having a baby doesn't want to be called a woman, why would you insist on calling them what you want to call them, rather than what they want to be called? It just seems dickish.

But that’s not the case is it? It has zero impact on me, but it does have an impact on women, that’s why a huge number of them are complaining.  Further back in this thread I was told there was no attempt to erase the word, now, when it’s happening I’m told it doesn’t matter. Women are being told there class, the one they fought for, no longer exists.  

I also look forward to the closure of the Palestinian thread because none of us live there.  

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Interestingly enough, it has zero impact on you, or anybody else either.

If someone having a baby doesn't want to be called a woman, why would you insist on calling them what you want to call them, rather than what they want to be called? It just seems dickish.

You could say that about anything though couldn't you? If Right Said Fred say they've got hair and they haven't, that doesn't impact me but it's still not true. 

The transgender stuff that gets on my tits isn't that some people want to have an op to change their physical appearance, it's the spiel that goes with some of it, the 1984-style request (demand) that you deny the evidence of your eyes and ears. 

The idea that women can have a penis, say. Then that there's no such thing as gender, or that there's 90-odd of them, and if you don't accept it you need to 'educate yourself'.

It starts as a drip drip of accepting something which  is factually untrue, and ends up fuck knows where. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But that’s not the case is it? It has zero impact on me, but it does have an impact on women, that’s why a huge number of them are complaining.  Further back in this thread I was told there was no attempt to erase the word, now, when it’s happening I’m told it doesn’t matter. Women are being told there class, the one they fought for, no longer exists.  

I also look forward to the closure of the Palestinian thread because none of us live there.  

Women are not a class.

Women are not being erased.

The word "women" is still used just about everywhere, because it's the correct word to use when you're talking about women.

More women than men support trans rights; whatever your reasons for obsessing over this, your not fighting the good fight on behalf of the little ladies (bless 'em).

Apart from that, great post.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

You could say that about anything though couldn't you? If Right Said Fred say they've got hair and they haven't, that doesn't impact me but it's still not true. 

The transgender stuff that gets on my tits isn't that some people want to have an op to change their physical appearance, it's the spiel that goes with some of it, the 1984-style request (demand) that you deny the evidence of your eyes and ears. 

The idea that women can have a penis, say. Then that there's no such thing as gender, or that there's 90-odd of them, and if you don't accept it you need to 'educate yourself'.

It starts as a drip drip of accepting something which  is factually untrue, and ends up fuck knows where. 

Just because you, Rico and Graham Linehan say it's "factually untrue" doesn't make it so.

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Women are not a class.

Women are not being erased.

The word "women" is still used just about everywhere, because it's the correct word to use when you're talking about women.

More women than men support trans rights; whatever your reasons for obsessing over this, your not fighting the good fight on behalf of the little ladies (bless 'em).

Apart from that, great post.

Ha ha ha ha what a load of fucking bollocks. Well done. Early too, congratulations. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Ha ha ha ha what a load of fucking bollocks. Well done. Early too, congratulations. 

You outed yourself as beyond parody just yesterday. I can't say I'm bothered about what you think is or isn't bollocks.

I'll stick to reality, thanks.

21 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I thought I was joking!

It’s where it slides into transphobia for me. People like Rico, who is clearly a bit of an obsessive when it comes to this subject, start off talking about biological markers being relevant, fairness in sport, and the biological differences in male vs female, most of which is factual and correct. Very few people have an issue with that, and if they do their likely to be the extremist anti-particle version of Rico. 

Then they get passed that and they slide down to conflating rare events, but still genuine concerns and things that should be discussed, with things like safety in female prisons, very young kids with potentially dangerous drugs, and guys pretending to be a woman to flash their cock at people or some variant of it, when normal situations which are nothing like that. This is where they want the conversation to exist, because it's easy. It's the same with talking about Muslims and wanting to only talk about extremism or terrorism, or wanting to talk about theism and only referring to a literal reading of the bible. It's because it's easy and you have an agenda to push. He has an agenda on this.  

Then, and this is where it gets distasteful for me, is they are hell bent on there being absolute no difference between what it means to be a ‘woman’ with what it means to be a biological female. If you're a female, you're a woman. If you're a male you're a man (and if you look back at this thread, 95% or more of it is aimed at Trans-Women, not Trans-Men, with talk of them being blokes cosplaying, or talk of penises, etc). We know there’s at least some socially constructed aspect to gender roles, and I say that as somebody who thinks there is a strong link between what it is to be a female and what it is to be a woman, but they're clearly not exactly the same thing. We also know that dysphoria is a real thing, we know there's overlap at the margins, and there always has been, but they slide right down to 'no, that's a man. That's it. That's the end. What about his cock'. Rarely is it talk about 'the male vagina', because they don't have the same level of prejudice there, even though the research is telling us that more young girls are wanting to transition, and that it might well be a completely different issue than dysphoria.

They're one step away from 'if men can marry men, why can't they marry dogs' shtick. It's nonsense. They are looking at fringe cases, with guys with beards wanking over kids and saying he's a woman or some shit. They don't look at somebody born male, but looks extremely feminine, has dysphoria, and wants to transition and live their life how they want to. Especially the ones that go through with surgery, look like what the social construction of a woman looks like, and they still get called 'men' by these people. It's just not the way to act, and going out of your way to call people 'men' at every opportunity just shows the agenda is rooted in prejudice, and I want no part of that, even if I agree with a lot of the positions. 

This is what happens when most of your discourse is in and around Twitter or the sorts who discuss this 140 characters at a time. It reduces a complex, emotive subject down to a competition and partisan mudslinging. It’s quite unsavoury. For this guy to be spending most of his interaction on this forum just posting articles from twitter in order to try to convince people that these extreme cases are what's the norm, strikes me as a bit creepy and weird, and not at all the 'defender of women' that he tries to portray himself as. I say all of that as somebody who agrees with probably 80% of his stances, but the way he goes about it is something he said we shouldn't do earlier in the thread. He has been radicalised. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

You outed yourself as beyond parody just yesterday. I can't say I'm bothered about what you think is or isn't bollocks.

Reality? The one with chicks with dicks?   You’ve finally lost it.  

1 minute ago, redheart said:

Last night I watched What Is A Woman.

A terrible film. There are concerns and issues to be raised here but they were raised in a juvenile and uninteresting manner by some numpty who would not look out of place on Fox News

That’s how I felt. Absolutely obviously one sided and made to make a political point. 

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

"Implies the existence of a soul" though...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Pidge said:

"Implies the existence of a soul" though...

Well what else is it?  You are your body, unless you believe in a soul. This isn’t difficult stuff.  

If you are a man who thinks they are in the wrong body, what is in the wrong body?  

Maybe it's an analogical description of a psychological schism used by sentient beings to convey their experience. A sense of "dysphoria", some might say.

Maybe it's not a claim that within each of us rests an eternal soul. Maybe.

Maybe that would be a ridiculous interpretation, possibly a red flag that one might be overthinking the situation a little bit.

2 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Maybe it's an analogical description of a psychological schism used by sentient beings to convey their experience. A sense of "dysphoria", some might say.

Maybe it's not a claim that within each of us rests an eternal soul. Maybe.

Maybe that would be a ridiculous interpretation, possibly a red flag that one might be overthinking the situation a little bit.

Experience? How can you have experience of something you, well, aren’t?  I can’t experience being 6 ft tall, or as clever as you so how can I identify as it?  I might aspire to to, admire it or desire it but I can’t be it. 

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Experience? How can you have experience of something you, well, aren’t?  I can’t experience being 6 ft tall, or as clever as you so how can I identify as it?  I might aspire to to, admire it or desire it but I can’t be it. 

It's impossible for a man to know what it's like to be a woman. Any man who chooses to live as a woman can only ever be a man's impression of what it is to be a woman. A pastiche of a woman. (I don't think it's any coincidence that so many transwomen render themselves in highly sexualised ways, because that's the prism they see women through). If it makes them happy, then great, but they ain't women, and it shouldn't allow them safe passage into sensitive woman-only spaces.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Strontium said:

It's impossible for a man to know what it's like to be a woman. Any man who chooses to live as a woman can only ever be a man's impression of what it is to be a woman. A pastiche of a woman. (I don't think it's any coincidence that so many transwomen render themselves in highly sexualised ways, because that's the prism they see women through). If it makes them happy, then great, but they ain't women, and it shouldn't allow them safe passage into sensitive woman-only spaces.

And you’re the unreasonable one…