You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

14 minutes ago, Pidge said:

2014 case: Details (lawcentres.org.uk)

Guidance doc (2015): Department for Education (publishing.service.gov.uk)

"A trans person should be free to select the facilities (such as toilets or changing rooms) appropriate to the gender in which they present."

2018 story on pressure from both sides to change the law: Transgender people can continue to be denied access to some women-only spaces, government says | The Independent | The Independent

So, I don't think @Boss was seeking things to change.

Regarding your questions, considering their position in the company, I think Pippa Bunce's options wold need to be very carefully considered. Due to their seniority I don't think they should assume people would be comfortable objecting and therefore the professional thing would be to use gender neutral facilities, in general.

Sorry, that bit about GRA reform is the Tories.  Every other prty would introduce self ID.  

Just now, Pidge said:

Obviously the government statements and documents from the last 10 years are from the tories...

There was a massive push, very under the radar, to reform the GRA and introduce self ID. Luckily it was picked up and led to the decision to leave it largely alone. 

As I said, LD, Labour and Greens will introduce it.  

40 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There was a massive push, very under the radar, to reform the GRA and introduce self ID. Luckily it was picked up and led to the decision to leave it largely alone. 

As I said, LD, Labour and Greens will introduce it.  

The process of acquiring a GRC doesn't really affect anything I've said, as most of my point is that - in most civil situations - it's irrelevant to treating people with respect and without discrimination. 

• Upvote 1

I watched Chapelle's special the other night and must say I am absolutely flabbergasted by the reactions and especially by Netflix totally retreating today under the  walkout threat.

Who are these people? Is trans lobby now the strongest lobby in the Western world, what is going on? Why?

The special is not even pushing the envelope or particularly controversial, or anti-trans, let alone that it is a stand-up comedy show and not a political manifesto. so you's say, I don't agree but freedom of speech, artistic freedom of expression, blah blah blah... I mean,  if this is now what is considered too much, it's time for some serious pushback. I'm pretty sure architects of Soviet show trials would be taken aback by what is going on now.

I don't understand this world anymore.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I watched Chapelle's special the other night and must say I am absolutely flabbergasted by the reactions and especially by Netflix totally retreating today under the  walkout threat.

Who are these people? Is trans lobby now the strongest lobby in the Western world, what is going on? Why?

The special is not even pushing the envelope or particularly controversial, or anti-trans, let alone that it is a stand-up comedy show and not a political manifesto. so you's say, I don't agree but freedom of speech, artistic freedom of expression, blah blah blah... I mean,  if this is now what is considered too much, it's time for some serious pushback. I'm pretty sure architects of Soviet show trials would be taken aback by what is going on now.

Chapelle only saying what a lot of people think. Personally I have no time for these bearded dresswearing fucking bullies. If a fella wants to wear a dress and call himself a women feel free but me choosing to consider you a bloke in a dress does not make me homophobic.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Chapelle only saying what a lot of people think. Personally I have no time for these bearded dresswearing fucking bullies. If a fella wants to wear a dress and call himself a women feel free but me choosing to consider you a bloke in a dress does not make me homophobic.

Well, this for me is not even about that. We are now at the point where you are apparently supposed only to parrot propaganda in support of this or that or you will be silenced and removed. It is way past rights of gender or racial or ethnic or whatever minority.

And yes, it's mostly very funny.

Who is being the most reasonable here? 

I think (hope) the tide is turning a little bit.  There’s a few court cases exposing what’s happened in the past, Mermaids and Stonewall are being shown up for what they are and ‘normal’ people are saying - “that makes no sense”. 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I wonder if political correctness really did go mad.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The Handmaid's Tale woman taking some shit just for retweeting an article. Some of the stuff from the Tweets about her are mad. 'bio essentialist'. The fuck is that?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/margaret-atwood-op-ed-gender-b1941440.html

She’s previously come out against JKR and others, so this is a bit of a pivot. She’ll retract by tomorrow.  

28 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think (hope) the tide is turning a little bit.  There’s a few court cases exposing what’s happened in the past, Mermaids and Stonewall are being shown up for what they are and ‘normal’ people are saying - “that makes no sense”. 

The bit that sums up the entire argument is someone taking his sign, breaking it and then shouting ‘he’s got a weapon!’ because there’s only the stick left.  

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I haven't seen the whole special, but from the clips I've seen it's funny as fuck. Great comedy lives on the edge. It reminds me of old school George Carlin and Bill Hicks.

It's hilarious, as were his previous Netflix shows- and surprisingly touching towards the end- the guy's an absolute genius.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

State of the screamin banshee

11 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Why use the word homophobic when you’ve not made any reference to sexuality in your post, and can’t assume anything about sexuality from how a person chooses to dress?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Why use the word homophobic when you’ve not made any reference to sexuality in your post, and can’t assume anything about sexuality from how a person chooses to dress?

Ah, my bad I meant to say transphobic. I dont assume anything about sexuality in how a person chooses to dress. A persons choice in life is their business.

• Upvote 2