You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

10 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But, if it exists it’s measurable and observed then your idea that people can change sex is complete nonsense.   

In your world you could have twin males standing in front of you, neither suffering from DSD (taking that red herring away from you) both with male genitalia, both wearing a beard, and you wouldn’t be able to say they were men unless they told you. In fact you’d accept one was a man and one was a woman if they said so.  So how does sex exist again? 

Yes. Yes that's exactly what happens in my world.

18 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think where the race analogy falls down is in the fact that sex exists (as something other than a social construct) and race doesn't.

Well that's a pretty radical view. I think you mean race is literally only skin deep and a social construct (which I agree with) but its very thin ice. People's lived experience in western society is very race dependent so dismissing it as a mere social construct is a touchy subject.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A transgender woman presumably hasn't grown up fearing footsteps behind her at night, nor been passed over for promotions or had to pretend they were on the phone to their boyfriend when they were in a taxi alone, never been physically intimidated by men in everyday situations or the subject of lude references. 

When women, some of whom like JK Rowling who've been victims of domestic violence, have issues with men encroaching on women's spaces, it's not because they don't think they're proper women or because they think they 'own' what it is to be a woman, it's because they 'feel' things that only women who've been born women have probably experienced, such as constant feelings of (potential) physical threat, and they feel that there are boundaries of safety and security which have to be respected.

Why wouldn't a transgender person be afraid of hearing footsteps behind them at night? I'm afraid of that and I'm a grown-ass man. Why wouldn't they experience getting snubbed for a promotion? They presumably get ridiculed every day by their co-workers (behind their back). Do you not think that'd translate to the boardroom? Why wouldn't they be afraid of people intimidating them physically? Are they all Charles Bronson in Death Wish?

Most women (certainly in Western Countries) don't have to fear being beaten up in broad daylight for having the temerity to walk down the street wearing a dress. And that's something MTF transgender people face every time they set foot outside their house. Just something to think about.

12 minutes ago, Boss said:

Why wouldn't a transgender person be afraid of hearing footsteps behind them at night? I'm afraid of that and I'm a grown-ass man. Why wouldn't they experience getting snubbed for a promotion? They presumably get ridiculed every day by their co-workers (behind their back). Do you not think that'd translate to the boardroom? Why wouldn't they be afraid of people intimidating them physically? Are they all Charles Bronson in Death Wish?

Most women (certainly in Western Countries) don't have to fear being beaten up in broad daylight for having the temerity to walk down the street wearing a dress. And that's something MTF transgender people face every time they set foot outside their house. Just something to think about.

This is astounding.  I’m impressed.  

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Well that's a pretty radical view. I think you mean race is literally only skin deep and a social construct (which I agree with) but its very thin ice. People's lived experience in western society is very race dependent so dismissing it as a mere social construct is a touchy subject.

It's not a biological fact. Calling lived experience a social construct in no way diminishes it.

33 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Some animals can actually change sex. Oddly enough it involves more than putting on a dress and demanding people call you Petunia.

Some just assume the appearance of their male or female counterparts without changing sex the liberal woke bastards.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Some just assume the appearance of their male or female counterparts without changing sex the liberal woke bastards.

Quite often the males will look like females so they can get close to females without arousing suspicion.

There are so many lessons we can learn from nature.

15 minutes ago, Moo said:

See this just seems deliberately provocative.  That and your repeated question about which "subset", what is the purpose of that?

Well to get an answer really. Although not many do as you’ve probably noticed. 

Answered honestly it’s a subset of men, but if you believe TWAW it’s women.  Which is plainly crazy.  

Do you ask anyone else on any other thread about being provocative?  I mean it’s the GF.  

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Well to get an answer really. Although not many do as you’ve probably noticed. 

Answered honestly it’s a subset of men, but if you believe TWAW it’s women.  Which is plainly crazy.  

Do you ask anyone else on any other thread about being provocative?  I mean it’s the GF.  

I have noticed not many answer about the "subset" but I don't necessarily think that's avoidance, I think it's more about relevance. Does it serve any purpose or add anything to the debate?  It just sounds like more labelling.  Is it something that's widely asked on this subject, and for a particular reason? I'm trying to understand.

I don't recall asking about provocation on other threads but you'd just posted a link to a clip which you said was sensible where Reeves said the debate had become toxic, I agreed that it had on this specific subject. 

I don't think the discourse on many other subjects are this toxic (certainly at the moment) at least the ones that I tend to read/comment on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moo said:

Do you think that trans-women who have been through male puberty should be allowed to take part in competitive (or combat/dangerous) women's sport?

I've never given it any thought. I wouldn't express an opinion on that unless I'd properly informed myself first and, frankly, I can't be arsed.

8 hours ago, Moo said:

I have noticed not many answer about the "subset" but I don't necessarily think that's avoidance, I think it's more about relevance. Does it serve any purpose or add anything to the debate?  It just sounds like more labelling.  Is it something that's widely asked on this subject, and for a particular reason? I'm trying to understand.

I don't recall asking about provocation on other threads but you'd just posted a link to a clip which you said was sensible where Reeves said the debate had become toxic, I agreed that it had on this specific subject. 

I don't think the discourse on many other subjects are this toxic (certainly at the moment) at least the ones that I tend to read/comment on.

Labelling of male and female is fundamental to the debate.  In fact it’s the entire point. If people are allowed to label themselves and we (and the law) must accept it then the label becomes meaningless.  

For example, in this thread you have people genuinely arguing the TW ARE women, not just a legal fiction.  So a woman becomes whatever a man decides he is, even if it’s a temporary state like Pippa Bunce who is a woman (a woman just like your mum) for half the week and a man for the rest.  He has the ability to switch sex backwards and forwards.  He’s actually so good at being a woman he’s won awards for it.  How anyone can look at that and think ‘yes, totally plausible’ is beyond me.  Now I’m all for indulging his fantasies, as long as they don’t impact on anyone else.  It’s a fiction and why not play along.  But he’s not a woman who can flit to being a man.  That’s impossible. 

• Upvote 1