You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

10 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

And, while I don't agree with Starmer's stance on this issue, you'll be surprised to learn that outside of right-wing circles, many decent people believe there's things that shouldn't be said in public, even if you believe them to be self-evident facts.  

I'm sorry, its probably me, but I don't understand this. What self evident facts shouldn't be said in public? 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

Since when was Starmer a major left-wing politician? He's as much of an empty vessel ideologically these days as your man Johnson.

And, while I don't agree with Starmer's stance on this issue, you'll be surprised to learn that outside of right-wing circles, many decent people believe there's things that shouldn't be said in public, even if you believe them to be self-evident facts.  

I think (I hope) you’re conflating facts and opinions. Some abhorrent opinions shouldn’t be aired in public but facts are just facts and should never be oppressed. 

15 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think (I hope) you’re conflating facts and opinions. Some abhorrent opinions shouldn’t be aired in public but facts are just facts and should never be oppressed. 

No, facts. Sometimes facts with little or no context, but facts that someone, maybe with an agenda, can point to and say 'this is fact'. 

You don't strike me as stupid, nor A Red, so I'm sure you can remember some relatively recent examples - ones that I won't say in public precisely because they are highly contentious and offensive.

To refer to the specific incident you mentioned, some (including the law as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) would say it's not a fact that only women have a cervix - trans men do. Now, you can argue that they are women, but is that a fact? 

Full quote from the text:

Historically, the anatomy and physiology of bodies with vaginas have been neglected—for example, the paucity in understanding of endometriosis and the way women's pain has been seen as more likely to have an emotional or psychological cause, a hangover from centuries of theorising about hysteria.

What are they getting wrong here?

33 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

No, facts. Sometimes facts with little or no context, but facts that someone, maybe with an agenda, can point to and say 'this is fact'. 

You don't strike me as stupid, nor A Red, so I'm sure you can remember some relatively recent examples - ones that I won't say in public precisely because they are highly contentious and offensive.

To refer to the specific incident you mentioned, some (including the law as I understand it, correct me if I'm wrong) would say it's not a fact that only women have a cervix - trans men do. Now, you can argue that they are women, but is that a fact? 

They are women.  

Further back in this thread there’s someone sniping about women not knowing the medical terms for their reproductive organs.  Turns out a huge proportion don’t.  By not using the word ‘woman’ you are excluding these people from the message.  Some women are worried about being erased for a small population.  

29 minutes ago, Jack the Sipper said:

This is all good philosophical stuff to occupy me on a long train journey. I think facts are independent of the law, you can’t legislate to make 2 plus 2 equal 5.

This takes us to is gender a fact or an opinion ? In my view, it’s fixed and whilst you can self identify as what ever you want, you can’t elevate your opinion to be a fact. In the same way, mass and race are fixed and whilst I could claim to self identify as a svelte black women, the fact is I’m a fat white bloke. As I have posted ad naussum, what’s the difference between gender and race ? 

That said, it shouldn’t matter. People can identify as who ever they want to be and none of the rest of us should care. There’s much bigger issues facing humanity than whether someone in a frock is a man or a women. Where it becomes an issue is when a small group of activists try to force the rest of us into agreement and threatening violence against women who disagree. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Try and patronise all you want, you know it won’t work on me. 

Men can’t become women, women can’t become men.  That’s not controversial, well, it shouldn’t be.  

This is why I no longer bother arguing with you. When your blinkers are so powerful that you look at scientific publications and say "Dear God, the woke brigade have got to the scientists now!" then you've clearly gone far beyond reason.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This is why I no longer bother arguing with you. When your blinkers are so powerful that you look at scientific publications and say "Dear God, the woke brigade have got to the scientists now!" then you've clearly gone far beyond reason.

Ha ha ha. Capturing the language doesn’t change the science, but you know that.  The backlash they are facing bears that out.  

Between 2012 and 2018 436 women were prosecuted for rape.  Things that will never happen #24574346

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They didn’t use the word that covers the group of people they referred to. The one that’s been used for thousands of years and everyone understands. 

Bollocks. As I've posted they use that word in the full quote, and several times in the text.

Getting in a flap about absolutely fuck all.

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Between 2012 and 2018 436 women were prosecuted for rape.  Things that will never happen #24574346

Source? Context (e.g. what country? What proportion of total rape cases? Whether the rapists were trans women? Whether that number includes women as accomplices to rape? etc.)? Source for the claim that anyone said that no trans woman would ever commit rape?

12 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They didn’t use the word that covers the group of people they referred to. The one that’s been used for thousands of years and everyone understands. 

And that is the issue, not the fabricated one, we are not talking about cervical smears for men who have transitioned who have had reconstructive surgery and a cavity has to be inspected because the woke police say so.

It's about women who have transitioned to men, or are planning to do, keeping up with cervical smear testing, that's the issue, not this complete fabrictaion online. Some of whom will be missing out as they are misgendered. 

So the phrase 'only women have a cervix' is both true, biologically, and false, from a construct angle and this is the argument not the nonsense dickheads are throwing about.

Again, the arguments on the fringes are not the real arguments and need to be ignored on both sides as they pollute discourse.

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

And that is the issue, not the fabricated one, we are not talking about cervical smears for men who have transitioned who have had reconstructive surgery and a cavity has to be inspected because the woke police say so.

It's about women who have transitioned to men, or are planning to do, keeping up with cervical smear testing, that's the issue, not this complete fabrictaion online. And some will be missing out as they are misgendered. 

So the phrase 'only women have a cervix' is both true, biologically, and false, from a construct angle and this is the argument not the nonsense dickheads are throwing about.

Again, the arguments on the fringes are not the real arguments and need to be ignored on both sides as they pollute discourse.

India Willoughby has offered to show her cervix live in tv.  C5 show right there. 

3 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Source? Context (e.g. what country? What proportion of total rape cases? Whether the rapists were trans women? Whether that number includes women as accomplices to rape? etc.)? Source for the claim that anyone said that no trans woman would ever commit rape?

Here you go, all here.